1. Evolution complete! Make Darwin proud and go vote in the Techtree Contest #12 - Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Icon Contest #17 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Succumb to the whispers and join our Texturing Contest #29 - Old Gods!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The results for Texturing Contest #28 are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. On May 20th a new law about privacy and data processing comes into work in the EU. I am no lawyer and I need help figuring out if we comply and if not, what we must do about it. Please message me if you can provide any assistance. Read more. Ralle
    Dismiss Notice

[Arena Event] Detailed Analysis for BTT:TOD

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by fladdermasken, Nov 18, 2014.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    presents

Special Contest:
    Detailed Analysis for Beyond the Throne: Tides of Darkness

[​IMG]

Participants are to write a detailed analysis for Kam's project: Beyond the Throne: Tides of Darkness

[Project Page]

[​IMG] [​IMG] Kam

Tides of Darkness

"Hello,

My greatest obstacle as an altered melee author is finding detailed useful feedback.
    My project has recently seen the addition of the final race I will be adding. With a
    few more updates that race will be "complete". I would like to run a contest where
    the goal is to provide me a detailed analysis of my project."

[​IMG]

WC3ScrnShot_051214_131820_04.jpg WC3ScrnShot_062114_001122_02.jpg WC3ScrnShot_083114_031051_01.jpg

[​IMG]

Why we have decided to host this

(TOP)

Beyond the Throne: Tides of Darkness (previously Orcs and Humans: Tides of Darkness) has been under continuous dedicated development for years, and we love to reward and show support for this level of commitment. In addition to this contest promoting people to reflect about what is and what isn't valuable feedback, Kam has also offered a $50 (USD) reward (further details here) for, by his own judgement, the best written feedback.

[​IMG]

The Contest

(TOP)

The idea of the contest is to write a detailed analysis for the map. For further specifications, please see Contest Judging.

Additional info:
    [​IMG]

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline.
    • Teamwork is allowed but the monetary reward will not be increased.
    • Submissions must be private (in form of a private message) so that work is not shared between submissions.

[​IMG]

• First Place: 25 reputation points and a USD$50 reward in the form of either
      • [ [​IMG] ] Amazon gift card
      • [ [​IMG] ] Steam game(s) as a gift valued up to the promised amount

• Other Participants: 10 repuptation points as a participant award

[​IMG]

[highlight]The results will 100% be decided by Kam.[/highlight] Kam will individually take each entry and apply their suggestions to a copy of his map, and play with the changes. Due to there being money involved, submissions are to be detailed (read: unfinished/insubstantial submissions will be skipped over) and include, at least, the following:

• Redundant units/abilities/spells and how/if they should be replaced
    • Overall racial theme adherence
    • Specific suggestions for replacements or alterations (actual products not required but will factor into scoring)
    • Cosmetics

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on November 19th and conclude on [highlight]February 1st[/highlight].

The results are preliminarily set to be out before February 15th.

[​IMG]

Appendices and Links

(TOP)

Appended here is a slideshow of helpful links that provide information about the project, the lore of The Lost and an option for organizing games for teams to test the race together or simply play the map.

Project Page:
    MOD DB Page:
    Lore Page:
    IRC for organizing games:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. Kam

Kam

Blizzard Associate Producer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

If you are only able to partially complete the review but your content is far more thorough than someone who does 100% you may win. It still needs to be a fair portion of the units/spells/mechanics though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This is fascinating. Would that I had not only the time, but the game-design-acumen to handle such a task.

Interesting to see a real-life dollar amount as a prize; a strange mixing of two worlds.

Good luck!

4. TaShadan

TaShadan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice idea. Good luck!

EDIT: Why are there no news posts for contests? Would help the popularity...

5. GreeN!X

GreeN!X

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well, that's one great way to get some useful feedback. And with that $50 reward, it's really tempting me to try this one out, too bad I can't test the map properly at the moment. I don't have the time either. Good luck to the participants anyway.

6. G.One

G.One

Resources:
    Resources:
    What do u mean by a private message

7. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You need to communicate your results to me privately so there is no possibility of other contestants using your material.

8. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Interesting...

9. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I want to join, too bad I'm not good at reviews. Good luck to everyone participating.

Note: If the winner doesn't want the $50 prize, just give it to me. Joke :D

10. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    This indeed is pretty interesting, however I am not sure if I have time for doing a real-in-depth review and feedback on your entire project. Also I have had my hands on it for very little time and never really played it that much (like I actually played any Warcaft III). However a entry might just appear from me.

Well however I have a guestion.
    I do have unprotected versions of around two or three of the BtT maps, can I still participate as it might be concidered unfair entry if I can open and lurk around the map files?

Edit: Actually nevermind, it seems I have deleted all the unprotected versions with anything in them.

However another guestion: Why you no update Severed Isles ;/

Who wants to play with me?! (I am not really experienced playing BtT (tried couple of times))

11. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Its hard to promise a complete in-depth review but I'll keep this in mind if I happen to find some time. Had played this a few times so I at least have some ideas in mind and I think we should also inform Ken-E about this since I'm pretty sure he already played this one before(we played once).

This thread should get more attention, BtT has been around for a long time now.

12. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Like a literal copy-cat of my post. :(

13. lokharke

lokharke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi, I'd also like to give my review (its not for the $$$ but for you putting it out like that + nothing else to do. Its thanksgiving :)

14. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I appreciate any feedback you would like to give. Achieving a high level of balance is the best way to insure people enjoy my map.

15. uduuduuud

uduuduuud

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi.So many things to say .

I'm from china.
    Trust me,
    My advice to you is worth more than a passer-by advice 10 times.
    If this is about the balance of Warcraft III,Maybe I was the highest level you can come into contact ,As we all konw ,only china still have best warcraft Pro gamers And various tournaments.
    (I dont use English for many years. Express my meaning is very difficult,hope you can understand.
    sorry for that.)
    I made warcraft III MOD Nirvana , you can find Nirvana in MODDB too.( but it's Alpha virsion,
    The latest version doesn't mean the same thing.I dont have time to make English virsion.)
    Nirvana mod Add race BloodELF . naga ,goblin ,icetroll,etc(max can add 96 races) .
    But I delete them ,only Add naga,because too many races/things can't balance it.
    The more things you add/Design,the more difficult player to accept .
    And bad for competition. Network broadcast. and spread your Map/mod.

---------------
    ok , the above I said are very scattered.
    now to your part.
    [Beyond the Throne: Tides of Darkness]
    Your maps are some kind of like The Tales of Raviganion.
    Or I think ,till now, what most of the kinks you have been worked out is change four races
    to new type race.
    why I use change? Because you change warcraft's Rhythm.
    Rhythm is the soul of RTS. spirit of competition .
    In your Design/project, you Add The Navy ,change The tech tree, remove most air force and complicated buff units...
    Every indicator can change the old warcraft's Rhythm.
    Change races only can change Tactics and measures ,change other things ,It is not the same thing.
    Set Disorder to avoid player battle (only can Attack creeps wasting time) and must use boat.
    At least 5 minutes you cant know Enemy player are doing what.(you even dont have Any effective measures detect Enemy base. )
    Naval battle was self-defeating ,we used new maps with boat/navy before in some warcraft competition,Whether the audience or game player are don't like it.
    In my Opinion, navy system must made hero and units can fight on boat,not only sit in ,
    can accept by people. or boat can only create imbalance .
    peon can sit in boat Dig trees and make towers.boat can Transport catapults Ultra long distance Destroy buildings and peons.in consideration of your maps air force is so Later stage,
    one battle is most Possible become a tower / catapults battle .Hero is useless.
    Some Heros can sit in boat, fire trees and fire Peons/buildings.
    etc..........

2. you change the Tech trees.for example, hum building research .It's very Strange for old players,to change this habit for many years. ,even if you want goes back to the warcraft II.people ,most people can't be used to it.I know that you got your reasons.

3.Rts need Arms Mutual cooperation,all I can see is units Increase attack point, Increase armor,
    Including the hero. Can't believe 3 orc heros, they all have skills to kill people.12 skills all to kill units..For example, Hum heros, Archmage have Water Elemental to ward off,mountain King can
    use hammer to Stun untis. they are like brothers . The death knight and lich are like Husband and wife. The wolf rides and grunt and Spirit Walker can form indestructible group....
    ------------------------------------------------->>>
    so many things to say,if be entangled with The real Competitive .
    I talk so much,only hope you can understand that ,If there is no deep Balance plot,The rest,
    you only can retain players With the updated model art ,and updated more and more new things Frequently.Otherwise, Soon,players will drained ,Rts should have stifling and Bright Rhythm .
    the one who played BTT maps should feel he can die every Minute .but not feel he can made some boat for fun. make boats fun/Interest can insist on after 100 Matches?
    --------
    now,we Go back to Reality,assume [Beyond the Throne: Tides of Darkness] is made for
    Ordinary game player,till now [Beyond the Throne] is Alpha Alpha virsion.
    The author only hopes his wisdom bring new joy to WarCraft lovers..
    And anything can come to good after v4.0.0.0 :)
    --
    damn, sorry man,I'm sick, its too late, I've been rather ill lately.take Dozens of medicine pills everyday.
    I may have some friends to test /play your map.and give you some Suggestions to Design really
    RTS.
    oh, dont forget my 50$~~ if I can get the money ,I can host c A map/mod contest .

16. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Er...
    Made my day lololololol

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  17. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Waste of money in truth, you should just give it to the charity. There are lots of families and single mothers out there. I will not join this contest. Good Luck anyhow.

18. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for the feedback uduuduuud.

Hah yes.

19. gorillabull

gorillabull