Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Are Video Games Objectively Bad?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by Retera, Sep 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BardBord

BardBord

Resources:
    Resources:
    I believe you can't answer a question like that without a clear understanding of what you take life's purpose to be. I think for most people that clear understanding comes from religion. And since religion usually tells you life is about getting something serious done, that makes video games bad to the degree that they distract you from doing what you should be doing with your life.

In moderation, they're just an activity that's maybe a little silly but can provide an opportunity to de-stress and connect with friends. You can be purpose-driven and take some downtime.
    In excess, they'll suck the life right out of you. I think you can always feel when you're in the excess zone. It's when your main concern becomes your gaming "hobby." It's when a setback or an obstacle in your "hobby" drains your waking energy and it becomes less of a concern to you that things are going wrong in your life as a result of your hobby than that things are going wrong in terms of your gaming world.

I know I swing back and forth between the two.

I agree with loktar.

I would say what matters is that you know where you're going in life, and that gaming isn't stopping you. It's possible to feel good and accomplished in the short term while messing yourself up in the long term.

This is what I mean by my comment above, so I think you would agree with me to some extent. Gaming is a way of indulging oneself. It's not a substitute for doing things that will really advance you in life.

The real tragedy comes in when some people conclude that there is no way of truly advancing in life. I'm convinced that they're wrong, but this is something each person has to think long and hard about for themselves.

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe some people advance through video games :grin: