• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Archipelago vs M0rbid vs WherewolfTherewolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
It bugs me to no end that I can't get that bottom shadow looking good, unfortunately with the camera angle not all the shadow units would show up, and that's also the only good camera angle in which the edge of the map doesn't show (can't the map any bigger).

Anyways good luck, seems like the scores might be pretty close here (I just know I'm going to lose some points on those imperfections I couldn't fix, but meh a challenge is a challenge).

So any word on when this may get judged?

Level 10
Well, I made this yesterday but I didn't know if it was ok if a posted it.

Attachments

• Final.png
    Final.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 214
Level 36
Alright guys, lets do some judging!

I do like the initial idea of this, and the constructions, or ruins if you want, look complex and well made. But that’s mostly where it ends, your terrain is screaming emptiness when it comes to the surroundings, and if desert feel was what you went for, you didn’t really nail it, but that’s not your fault, as I have yet to see a good looking desert terrain, it just isn’t doable in the wc3 editor. And those brown things, shadows, roads? Hard to define, and even harder to like, they kind of just look like they were placed there as a last resort of some detail. Also, it’s never a good thing to use blizzard trees, they just DO look horrible. Some of your ruin parts look rather stretched, most obviously the arches at the center of the terrain, which surely is meant as some detail to the bridge that goes between the two spires.

Alright, Morbid. Your terrain looks… Random. And that’s not really in a good way. It SEEMS you were going for a sort of contrast-ish terrain, but to my eyes you didn’t do this in a very good way. The green plants don’t go with the red desert thing, at all. The only green stuff that moderately fits the terrain is the trees in the background, which, oh wait, their pink. And the terrain as a whole doesn’t show really all that much, there is some walls, some green plants, a log, some statues, the issue is; I don’t really know where I am supposed to look, your terrain seem to be lacking what I like to name a “center of focus” which can be defined as something that catches your eye when looking at a terrain, something that makes it stand out, not something that is all over the place. In short, it lacks a hell of a lot tinting, and a REAL center of focus.

Right, so, it’s a jungle, and theres a ruin, firstly I just want to say; extremely original idea. Anyways, opposed to Morbid, your making it QUITE clear where I am supposed to direct my attention, EXTREMELY overly clear in fact. Those yellow glow things, just what are they meant to be? Sun light? Well, they mostly look like… Well, they don’t make sense at all. You should look up some pictures of some real sunlight coming up from behind some ruin and then look at yours and ask yourself what you are doing wrong. Mostly it is that you’re having TOO much light. Your doodad placement seems to be good enough, however, I heavily advice you to use more than ONE tree model when making a forest, and variation in size is also a good thing for making the terrain look better.

So, thats that. Since I have not been given any information about how I am supposed to judge this, I will give no points and rather just announce who won for my part.

I give my vote to Archipelago, for being closest to what I see as the theme, and for the best doodad placement. Oh and please dont take my judgements in any bad way, I mean them just as pointers to what you can improve uppon.

Sorry for being late, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.