1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Arcane Competition

Discussion in 'Recycle Bin' started by Daelin, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok, it’s time for another spell contest. For those interested, there will be some “prizes”. They will not be medals, nor trophies, but instead, they will be orbs. There will be more sections, each with three places: Gold, Silver and Bronze. You can win only a single place but you can participate into more than a single section.

Note: You cannot enter with a spell in more than one section and neither can you enter with more than one spell into a section. Also you cannot compete with spells which you already made. You will have to make fresh spells.

Warning: This is a Trigger/JASS enchanced spells contest. I might make exception for very good non-triggered spells. I don’t want to see any spells just with their icon, stats and perhaps missile/effect in Object Editor changed. These will be disqualified immediately.

Sections: There is a total of 16 sections.

1 ) Time – Spell which manipulates the time. It doesn’t matter what you understand through time. Through time, I mean suggest TEMPORAL spells.

2 ) Defensive – Spell which does a protective effect. The protective effect should either work around the caster, around another target or an Area of Effect.

3 ) Morph – Spell which morphs either the caster itself or another target. Morph Abilities turn the target into something else (example: unit). Example of Morph effects: Metamorphosis, Hex.

4 ) Projectile – Spell which uses dummy units as projectiles/missiles. Projectiles usually activate an effect on the target (like Black Arrow or Drunken Haze).

5 ) Day/Night – Spell which works only during the day or during the night. It can be Aura, Passive, Channeling or any other spell. Just keep in mind to use it similar to Hide (deactivation during the day in Hide’s case).

6 ) Elemental – Spell which uses any of the following elements: Fire, Lava, Water, Ice, Lightning, Air, Earth, Stone, Wood, Poison, Metal, Light or Darkness.

7 ) Chain – Spell which works in chain (aka Chain Lighting or Healing Wave). You may NOT use Vexorian’s template into this section or even inspire from it. If I catch you copying from the template, you are being disqualified.

8 ) Cinematic - Spell that is mostly based on visual and sound effects, rather than what it does. Spell Effect rating will mostly be based here on how the spell looks, rather than on its effect. Still, I suggest you don't leave a dull effect (like AoE damage). Down-rating for lagging to this section still applies.

9 ) Summoning - Spell which summons a... summoned unit. The summoning may have custom abilities but its abilities cannot be submitted for other sections.

10) Creativity - This section is mostly to see how creative you can be. Make original spells, with an unique effect. You have no restrictions here but remember, the more original your spell is, the more points you will get. Moreover, the spell should be implementable in Melee or Arena games, for actual units or heroes. So I don't find cinematic spells fitting here.

11) Team - Here you need to have more than one unit casting the same spell. An example of such spell is [udg=http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=308&sid=5c6d15e30b589d349cf8e0099e11ae54]here[/udg]. It can be different as well as long as more than one unit casts the spell.

12) Resource - In this case, the spell must use a resource in order to be cast. And by resources I don't mean gold and lumber. Resources can be units, trees, corpses or any other object. Example of resource spells are Raise Dead, Transmute and Force of Nature (Keeper of the Grove).

13) Future - Rockets, electricity, robots and other futurisic spells. This is what this section contains. Feel free to import custom models here since Warcraft 3 doesn't contain enough.

14) Mental and Astral - This section is spells that are activated mentally (example: Telekinesis) or which affect the mind. Moreover, through astral I mean spells which work with teleportations and illusions and similar things.

15) Curse - The spell must affect one or more units in a negative way, on a longer period of time, using a buff.

16) Bless - The spell must affect one or more units in a positive way, on a longer period of time, using a buff.

Note: All your spells except the Chain Spell can be AoE, single-targeted, Auras/Passives (though I doubt this would work for Projectiles), Channeled, Non-channeled or anything else which could be considered as a spell cattegory. They don't really have to be a hero ability.

Submission: You should upload your spells to the Spell section, preferably all into a single map. Make sure to add to the map’s description “Arcane Competition”. I also want you to send me a PM and tell me which spell comes for which section.

Grading: You can receive up to 100 points for each of your spells. You will receive points for the following things:

a) Spell Effect (35 points) – What does the spell do? Is it original? Hasn’t it ever been done before? Can it be used in a melee map? Is it balanced through its effect? These are the questions based on which I will rate your spell’s effect.

b) Spell Code (20 points) – This will include your spell’s trigger/JASS coding. I will rate depending on how efficient your code is and if there are any leaks. Also, you will receive less points if your spell lags. Don’t worry, my computer works at 3 Ghz so if the spell lags, so it won’t be that my computer is too slow.

c) Eye Candy (15 points) – How does your spell look? Simple enough. You should try to add good special effects to your spell. Avoid to use too many so the spell doesn’t lag. Good taste will be taken in consideration. Don’t exaggerate.

d) Implementability (10 points) – Not very important and still, it will give you some points. Make sure that you give instructions on how your spell can be implemented into another map. Which units/spells/buffs/triggers must be copied into your map? Where must you change the trigger? If I find the trigger too complicate to be changed (not for me but in general), I will downrate your spell.

e) Difficulty (20 points) – How complicated is your spell? If it can be done effortless then you won’t receive many points. Make challenging, complicated spells and your rating will greatly increase.

One more Note: I don’t want to see Vexorian’s Caster System into your map. Don’t even put it into your map, since you are NOT going to use it. Neither will you use other systems. Only your own.

Tools Allowed: I suggest you stick to the WE. You are not allowed to use WE Unlimited since I can't use it for some bizzare reason. Neither are you allowed to use other tool. As for custom scripts done by other people, I have allowed Kattana's (http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=JASS&ID=39&). Again, don't use Vexorian's Caster System.

I've been thinking about this and I am also accepting UMSWE. But if you use any of its custom triggers in JASS tell me which is the translation of the trigger in script.

Deadline: Contest Closed!

Prize: Have a look at these beauties: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Daelin17/Prizes.jpg

WARNING: Don't ask help for your spells. Don't post into the spells forum asking for help with your triggers. YOU are the one who is supposed to do spell. I frequent a lot the spells forum and if I catch you with a spell for which you asked for help and for which you received it, I will make sure to unaccept that spell, or atleast downrade you. I don't mean to be harsh but... it's not fair for other people to do your work.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them here but No Spamming! please. Good luck everyone and have fun!

Results:

For the results, I have inserted a couple of new rules. You will need to accumulate a number of points to be able to get a
    certain medal. So, to get gold you need atleast 65 points, for silver atleast 50 and for bronze atleast 35. Moreover, spells
    under 30 points are disqualified. If that means something for you...

Moreover, I have decided to grant the best spellmakers who participated at this contest, a special cup. They were chosen
    by the spells they made. I think that all three of them put a considerable effort to make those spells, and their results
    are the best. As a prize, they will all receive a spell cup, amongst the magical orbs. Congratulations you three!

TOP THREE

First Rank - Blade.dk2
    Second Rank - Leopard
    Third Rank - Pyrodactyl

1) Time
    Time Stop (72/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Web of Destiny (66/100) [Spellweaver]
    Time Jump (41/100) [Redscores]

2) Defensive
    Chilling Armor (64/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Vinewall (64/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    NX024 (60/100) [Nantuko_Husk]
    Seal of Blood (57/100) [Leopard]
    Forcefield (45/100) [Redscores]
    Reflect (DISQUALIFIED - 26/100) [Mr.Clean]

3) Projectile
    HookShot (71/100) [Diablo-dk]
    Stomp (70/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Tremor (68/100) [Leopard]
    Twister (53/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Double Attack (46/100) [Mono]
    Judgment (39/100) (39/100) [Mr.Clean]

4) Day/Night
    Night Spirit (63/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Night Slayer (62/100) [Leopard]
    Solar Battery (52/100) [Redscores]

5) Elemental
    Icicle Disaster (71/100) [Leopard]
    Frozen Moon (69/100) [Nantuko_Husk]
    Ice Storm (61/100) [Monky-Master]
    Plague Cloud (52/100) [Redscores]
    Thunder Blade (52/100) [Mr.Clean]
    Eye of the Storm (47/100) [Telefragged]
    Death Nova (38/100) [Diablo-dk]
    Chain Lightning Attack (36/100) [Mono]

6) Chain
    Chains of Death (75/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Chain Venom (67/100) [Leopard]
    Chain Burn (59/100) [Redscores]

7) Cinematic
    Whirlwind (76/100) [Diablo-dk]
    Blade Massacre (70/100) [Leopard]
    Wrath of the Weather (67/100) [Blade.dk2]

8 ) Summoning
    Golem (65/100) [Pyrodactyl]

9) Creativity
    Pandora's Box (85/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Sphere (78/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Dark Confusion (65/100) [Leopard]
    Bloody Rage (52/100) [mr_coolies]
    Charge (50/100) [Diablo-dk]

10) Resource
    Animate Dead Targetable (77/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Soul Harvest (58/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Hurl Boulder (40/100) [Diablo-dk]
    Create Monster (33/100) [Mr.Clean]
    Mine Stealing (DISQUALIFIED - 23/100) [Redscores]

11) Future
    Electric Field (76/100) [Leopard]
    Field of Force (76/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Nuclear Strike (41/100) [Angel.of.doom]

12) Mental and Astral
    Astral Travel (78/100) [Blade.dk2]
    Telekinesis (69/100) [Arksword]
    Mind Halo (62/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Gravity Throw (56/100) [Sansui]

13) Curse
    Plague (70/100) [Pyrodactyl]
    Doom Day (56/100) [Nantuko Husk]
    Fear Aura (53/100) [Leopard]
    Curse of Pain (DISQUALIFIED - 28/100) [Redscores]

14) Bless
    Celestial Star (88/100) [Leopard]
    Bless (37/100) [mr_coolies]
    Blessing of Muscles (DISQUALIFIED - 29/100) [Redscores]

15) Team
    Dual Strike (68/100) [Telefragged]
    Ritual of Gilgamesh (DISQUALIFIED) [Redscores]

~Daelin

2. Tail Of The Wyrm

Tail Of The Wyrm

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    hehe, cool contest, count me in, ill make "the metalical chains"

3. TheSundayPaper

TheSundayPaper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, sounds really fun - I'm in! I will probally do a spell for each section, depending on if ideas spring or not.

Btw, can any sections interlope with another section (but I am not asking you to count the one spell for both sections)?

4. pooperscooper

pooperscooper

Resources:
    Resources:
    if i can work that illusion spell i will submit it
    :roll: :roll:
    i think it goes under number 2

5. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't get what you mean? You want to combine a spell with ideas from two sections? Hmm... It depends. Of course you can use projectiles for your spell though you don't submit it for the Projectile section (As long as it is still related to the section you submit it to ex: Spell which is related to time but uses projectiles and you submit it to Time Section), or even a chain spell though you submit it let's say... in the Elemental section (as long as it sticks to the elemental section). I hope this was your question.

~Daelin

6. TheSundayPaper

TheSundayPaper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah that is exactly what I meant. Thanks.

Whow! Time and Defense type spells done, and I personally think they are good. Hopefully you will too.

Hopefully this contest will grow a bit bigger. One of the only contests I have seen here worth joining.

7. FireFreak

FireFreak

Resources:
    Resources:
    is it allowed to use the castersystem or the handle vars ?

8. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  9. imported_redscores

imported_redscores

Resources:
    Resources:
    I make the Frozen Death

I make the Spell Frozen Death good luck on all :)

10. ThEmAsTeRwAnNaBeEe

ThEmAsTeRwAnNaBeEe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Count me in! ;)

?Can i do it in script?
    and ill make morph and Chain

11. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ThEmAsTeRwAnNaBeEe you are allowed to use both JASS (script) and triggers (GUI).

~Daelin

12. TheSundayPaper

TheSundayPaper

Resources:
    Resources:
    I use UMSWE, is that allowed? It is the best way to destroy leaks in GUI.

You can get UMSWE HERE.

Please get that so UMSWE can be allowed. It is updated to WCIII and it is more effecient then WE.

13. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If I would allow UMSWE, I would need to allow WEU as well and to be honest, I don't like these editors. Their functions can sometimes make things too simple. I will still consider it but I doubt it. And why would you need UMSWE anyway?

~Daelin

14. TheSundayPaper

TheSundayPaper

Resources:
    Resources:
    To get rid of leaks in GUI is the only reason I use it.

Plus some of the minor stuff is kinda cool, like move special effect, but I never use those anyways, never found a case to use it yet, but it is still pretty cool. I dont see why not use UMSWE, it is just an extended version of the WE, why don't you use it?

15. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very well... Check the latest news from my first post! (Tools Allowed section).

~Daelin

16. Chuckle Brother

Chuckle Brother

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So for this our spells must fit into one of the different sections? Like say if I make what I plan on doing, the Rogue, for a spell that summons two blades that spin around each other around a point and damage guys who come to close, what would that be under? Bah this is going to complicate the simple usage of the WE with trying to fit stuff into a section, damn it all

17. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    By only WE and UMSWE I mean that you are not allowed to use WEU or other enchanced WE. So you are allowed to use custom models if they fit well (but you won't just get extra points for using a custom model instead of a normal model... But in some cases where you have no other alternative to make the spell fit in... You can surely use custom models) along with JASS/GUI. So how could this be more difficult for you? DId you use WEU? If you did... sorry. But most of the spells done in WEU can be done in WE (like... 98%?)

And your spell is just excellent for projectile section (doesn't it cast two dummy units which act like projectiles? The projectiles being the blades). So good luck!

18. Chuckle Brother

Chuckle Brother

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh no you don't understand me, I never use WEU. I strictly keep to GUI since anything you can do with th other tools you can do with the normal interface. What makes it difficult is that I now have to think, which I will be the first to point out is not an area of expertise for me. I can't just come up with spells I will need to fit them into a section. Oh well. Is there a limit on how mant sections we can enter in?

19. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You may submit into all sections one spell, but the spell must unique. By this I mean that you can't submit a spell to two sections and neither can you submit more than one spell to a single section.

~Daelin

20. Strikur

Strikur

Resources:
    Resources:
    sounds like a lot of fun :D

once it's over how about you put all the spells onto one map (or at least try), that could have an arena with monsters and stuff to test them on :)

i'll probly enter in the time, projectile, and elemental categories. i know i wont get high ratings or anything, but i'll have a good time nonetheless

good luck to all!

*edit* whoah i used a few too many smilieys there... got rid of a couple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.