• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Art of Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPC

KPC

Level 7
Art of Defense.png
Gameplay
Defend your selves as a team against 20 waves of enemies in melee like gameplay.
  • max hero lvl 20 (extensive abilities tree)
  • food limit 150
  • 6 tier units upgrades
  • NoUpkeep
  • Custom Items/Recipes
  • Glyphs in the World Tree

Art of Defense is a map combining elements of:
  • Altered Melee
  • Similar Melee
  • Hero Defense
  • Tower Defense
  • Defense/Survival
  • Protect/Invasion

Your task is to survive waves of enemies and kill them all by helping each other. Choose one of four standard races and one of the following tactics:

1. Units: Defending with the army: upgrades and buffs. (similar to the melee game)
2. Hero: Spending gold on items for the hero, making him super strong.
3. Towers: Creating good layouts of towers and building in the right place.
4. Mixed: Any combination of the above.

Remember, every tactic has advantages and disadvantages.
Mechanics
Difficulty Level:

When the game starts, players have to vote for the level of difficulty they want to choose. Votes are counted and one of the difficulty levels is selected. The level of difficulty affects only the number of the creatures, spawned in wave. The game mechanic makes next waves harder than the previous ones by increasing the strength of the creatures instead of amount. Summarizing, difficulty level affects number of creatures. Next waves have stronger set of units and it doesn't affects their quantity.

Waves mechanics:
Each player is going to has his own waves, which gonna attack him. If the player left the game, his waves spawn no longer but an existing wave is going to attack player next to him. If the player loses his base and didn’t leave the game, it is the same. His waves are going to attack player next to him.

Single wave description:
Appear every 3 minutes on top of the map and
is going to follow the path shown on the map:
1. top expansions
2. the main base
3. player's ally main base

Teamplay:
Each player can help each other. But players: Red & Blue, Teal & Purple, Yellow & Orange can defend together. To do this players have to stand together at the middle between their bases (especially between their top expansions).

Auto-balance:
Mechanics described above allows playing the game no matter how many players are there because the number of single waves is number single players. The game can also be played with any variant of starting positions. If anyone leaves the game, it does not interrupt the game because his waves appear no longer. Attacking player's bases instead of going to the middle provides: units don't block each other and waves are defeated faster. It causes that number of the units on the map is reduced so waves don't stack, what provides right game flow and not losing control over it. Also if the player leaves the game, no one has to worry about controlling him, which is a common problem in melee like team games.

Abandoned Goldmine:
There are 4 goldmines for each player, but only 1 is available at the start. Lets make it starting goldmine. Rest of them are Abandoned Goldmine. This ancient gold mine has not been used for years. To make use of it's gold you need to destroy entangles around it that make it useless, because you are not able to access it.

Goblin Shredder:
is aviable in: Lumber Mill, War Mill, Graveyard and Hunter's Hall. Trees are endless so income rate is constant. Shredder can also return wood to Hunter's Hall.

Changelog
Author's Notes
Hi! This is my first map uploaded to the hive. Hope you like it and don't forget to tell me what you think. This map took me several years to create, but I'm finally done!
Screenshots

Attachments

• AoD 0.97g.w3x
    453.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

KPC

KPC

Level 7
The first one, with one AI.
As in waves 1 and 2 were announced but no enemies showed up at all.
1. I added all the waves to the Quest Box. I also added the commands category, which describes which commands can be used in the game.
2. Condition checks if players slot status is playing. To provide that when the player leaves the game, creatures will not spawn anymore on his side. The game is not intended for a computer.

Last edited:
Level 28
Tried it again, alone, as Player 1 Red. Still nothing. I even sent units to the pinged spawn location (other commands like -info and -cam height seem to work), when the spawn timer ended they were the ones headed south with an attack order.

There should be some creeps around in order to have something to do in the early stages.

KPC

KPC

Level 7
Tried it again, alone, as Player 1 Red. Still nothing. I even sent units to the pinged spawn location (other commands like -info and -cam height seem to work), when the spawn timer ended they were the ones headed south with an attack order.
There should be some creeps around in order to have something to do in the early stages.
1. I don't understand, you wrote that creatures didn't show up and then you described that they were the ones headed south with an attack order.
To be sure what we expect: The timer (every 3 minutes of the game) counts down the appearance of an enemy wave in the north, which will attack the south.
I checked the conditions and gameplay many times and there has never been such a problem.
2. I was thinking about adding creeps on the map if you claim that it would be a good idea I will add a few.

Level 28
As in, there was a ping on the minimap for the first wave, but no enemies showed up. I sent my units to the pinged location to wait for the second wave. When the timer for the second wave ended, the ping showed up, no enemies spawned, and my units obeyed the triggered order to attack-move towards the south.

I'm on 1.28, if that helps.

KPC

KPC

Level 7
As in, there was a ping on the minimap for the first wave, but no enemies showed up. I sent my units to the pinged location to wait for the second wave. When the timer for the second wave ended, the ping showed up, no enemies spawned, and my units obeyed the triggered order to attack-move towards the south.
I'm on 1.28, if that helps.
As far as I'm concerned there were some changes in the editor, which may not be supported by your Warcraft version.

Level 2
Hi! I played this map with my pal and we got some feedback.

We enjoyed your map, good job! Your map have potentional. It will be good if you continue to develop this map!

There are some issues:

1) The map is very hard :C

There is no problem to play as alliance with MK first hero and towers, but lots of players are dying even on first wave as orcs and undeads. I think it would be better if you add one or two minute delay for a begining of first way.

Also on late waves +6 there are very hard units with 20 armor, curses, debuffes and strong stats which makes game like a pain in the ass or for koreans with 400 APM. You can see in replay which i am applying how difficult we had to clean late waves we even could not save our units/heroes cause mobs are very very strong. We had to dispell, use staff of salvation, holy light etc etc in a 1 sec or gg.

Some waves are ridicilous like gomuncules with 50 armor and lots of hp (86% damage reduction), chaos cannons with infernals etc etc.

2) Upper rooted gold mines should be usual.

Its very difficult to clean roots and hold these gold mines, you should make them usual for temporary (at least) gold boost.

3) Item revamping.
You should boost this Eye of Dalaran for 8000 gold because mana regeneration for this money is not enough. (its about 4 - should be 10)

Also you should look for cloak of flames items, they are illogical. You should boost them up.

Replay applying.

I hope it will help you to improve the map and my feedback is useful.

P.S. Please delete Banshee possession @ 15+ wave this is too much OP for mobs.

Attachments

• Art of Defence play.w3g
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

KPC

KPC

Level 7
Hi!
I am very pleased that you tested my map. I am even more happy that you like it or see potential in it. I see that you played well and you were prepared earlier. Also, demonstrate knowledge about the map so your feedbacks are valuable to me because of being objective. I am happy that you divide your say into points. It will be easier for me to answer them. I also hope that you will refer to mine. :)
I must admit that after the amount of work I put in I can not longer shape balance alone. It is just a moment when one person exhausts its possibilities and ideas. That’s why I published my map for other people to test it and share opinion.

Ad 1)
Need to agree. I’m uploading map where u can vote to choose a dificulity level.
I also noticed a problem with the firt wave but only as an oc only. That’s why Great Hall produces 12 food instead of 10 to provide the right flow of your production. To pass the first wave u should use two borrows putting 1 peon in each. That first wave is no problem.
As I said as undead I didn’t notice any problem with the first wave because of the fact that he fights on the brigt area. Also, he can prepare 4 sceletons or make 1 nerubian tower.
Now if I add 1-2 minutes it will concern each race, what means I repair balance creating new imbalance. As I can see you passed the first wave without using so much militia and without losing any unit. If I give you 1-2 extra minutes it will be unfair. Also, there is a rule that waves every 3 min (not only in my AoD). It is realy considered timing. If I have to change anything with this subject I will focus on units in wave or problems of a particular race.
I need to admit that later waves are so strong and various. I create them to counter every tactic you gonna play. If u go for melee u will need aa. If u play mass there is aoe. If u play magic there is dispell etc. U also cant play air only coz enemy hit them stronger. I realize that this is irritating. But on the other hand, it becomes the goal of the game – to find the most optimized army, a special unit combo that will provide u with the win. Do not think that I ignore your opinion. I have changed a lot of things (I mean the enemy waves) I would like you to test them now and say what you think. :D
Try to catch unit which is too strong in your opinion and why. It will make it easier to change anything. Also, the beginning of the game is the most balanced because of being tested many times. Many later waves were added to the end one by one. It is hard to reach them in the game and evaluate if they are good. This is also a late game, so you have to answer the question where something is wrong. I mean: the earlier waves did not let you develop or if it was about the current wave.

Ad 2)
There was a time when they were normal. The whole game boiled down to taking mines, which was very easy. People would ignore the lower one and take only the top. The additional income flowing from the 3 available mines from the beginning would be too large. Look at it this way. Earlier, I wanted to add a creep camp guarding the mine, but I felt that the player has enough combat. Keeping the convention “nothing for free” and as it is in a normal variant: you want to have something, you have to pay costs I decided to make this. We can talk about how to easily destroy entangle gold mine but I would like to leave them in the game.

Ad 3)
Ok, changed.

Ad PS)
Banshee possession: I increased the cost of the spell and its cooldown.

I am very thankful for feedbacks, I am waiting for more ideas from you guys. ;)

Level 28
Last three waves didn't show up at all, and nothing happened when the timer disappeared.
For the last two waves to actually show up, the message read "Demonologist and Doom Guard".
Quest log doesn't say what waves come after 16.
The mephits got lost somehow and ended up patrolling the southern edge of the map.

KPC

KPC

Level 7
Last three waves didn't show up at all, and nothing happened when the timer disappeared.
For the last two waves to actually show up, the message read "Demonologist and Doom Guard".
Quest log doesn't say what waves come after 16.
The mephits got lost somehow and ended up patrolling the southern edge of the map.

Sure because the map is unfinished. Currently, I create 17 waves and I will add new when I balance the older one. Timers and information are also unfinished for those waves. As I told I gonna add them when I finish the rest.
I also have a problem with mephit. It was working as a gargoyle but I want it to be anti-air and it was attacking ground first instead of air. That's why I removed ground attack for it and that's why it seems to not working.
Thanks for suggestions. :D

KPC

KPC

Level 7
I challenge my self to win using a hero only (and towers ofc). I played with two other guys but my work seems to be important. Here we go, Warden! Replay applying:

Attachments

• AoD solo Warden.w3g
    856.8 KB · Views: 56
Level 2
Done it @ Eazy and Normal difficults:

Attachments

• Art of Defence - Eazy.w3g
    878.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Art of Defence - Normal.w3g
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • (6) Art of Defense a0.6.6.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Level 2
1) You must delete global auras drop from mobs at cathedral. It creates RNG in victory. On high difficults it matters.

2) There are 18 waves but thing in right upper corner shows 20. Change it plz.

Level 2
I challenge my self to win using a hero only (and towers ofc). I played with two other guys but my work seems to be important. Here we go, Warden! Replay applying:
Strange, but it says "be sure that replay's map exists before watching" wc 3 error.

KPC

KPC

Level 7
1) You must delete global auras drop from mobs at cathedral. It creates RNG in victory. On high difficults it matters.

2) There are 18 waves but thing in right upper corner shows 20. Change it plz.

1) Ok, I changed it.

2) As I told I will add the latest wave when I'm sure that others are well balanced.

Last edited:
Level 2
Found some bugs & abuses.

1) Some base abuse behind tavern. Mobs cannot pass cross tavern.

2) We broke victory trigger and wave recount when we fought until last unit.

just watch xDDDD

Attachments

• (6) Art of Defense a0.6.6.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • Art of Defence - Normal bugs.w3g
    2.4 MB · Views: 72

KPC

KPC

Level 7
Ok, win condition works perfectly. Send every replay u have, playing aod PLS. It helps me a lot with balancing this game. :D

Attachments

• Try Hard (normal).w3g
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • (6) Art of Defense a0.7.0.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.