• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Another terraining contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
As much as I would love to host another terraining contest, I don't think there's enough people interested.

I need to get the impression that there'll be more than three entries before I even consider hosting one.

That said, I am not at all opposed to the idea, and it has been a long time since we hosted one, so please,
by all means, if you're sitting there, lurking, and thinking to yourself "Hmm, I might join" - Voice it. Let us
know, because unless we see some interest, we won't host it.

For themes, well. Our last one was playable, and so sticking to tradition, we'll need to host at least three more
until we can do another playable. So this one'll be scenic. When I sifted through the contest archive to find the
last contest, because I am a human and didn't remember the last theme, I saw a contest named "Lordaeron: Aftermath"
- And got an idea.

I'd love to see an "Aftermath" themed terraining contest, I would personally like it to be a "Warcraft Aftermath", but it can
also be "Fantasy Aftermath" or just "Aftermath." Basically, terrain something that looks like it's a place where something has
happened; a battle, an apocalypse, pollution, etc.. The gist is to think "After a certain amount of time has passed, how does it
look?" - Personally I'd love it to be restricted to only Warcraft related "events", but as I said, I'm also good with just "Fantasy
Aftermath" or just general aftermath.

Level 28
Kaboom y'all. whaddup? wheres the maskeen from this thread? and the jury folks...
Look who showed up! For judges we could use some veteran terrainers like Keiji and well, if you happen to know any retired-Romanian-terrainer-also-texture-artist-who-logs-in-once-in-a-while, let us know! Unless he's willing to participate, but that's another story.

I would join if it was playable terrain where the whole map is judged rather than a single screenshot.
Hmmm like last terraning contest? That was fun, we could try that again.

For themes, well. Our last one was playable, and so sticking to tradition, we'll need to host at least three more
until we can do another playable. So this one'll be scenic. When I sifted through the contest archive to find the
last contest, because I am a human and didn't remember the last theme, I saw a contest named "Lordaeron: Aftermath"
- And got an idea.
Well it seems this site doesn't have much of a terraining community for scenic terrains like we had back in the day, so as stated above I'm inclined to believe it should be a playable terrain thing, to get more people engaged. BTW I feel that we can venture into launching a terraining contest without having to wait for much confirmations in this thread. More people than expected tend pop up over the course of terraining contests, as we could see in the last Mini Terraining Contest:
mini-contest reload #1 contained 11 participants

Now themes suggested so far:
I'd love to see an "Aftermath" themed terraining contest
submerged kingdoms?
untouched place
Alright, nice. I'd add to the list of themes:
  • Change: Terrain should depict a place that's going through visible changes. Could be physical chages, magical changes, political changes, etc.
  • Society: Terrain should have visible signs of an specific society. Can be Warcraft universe civilizations, non-Warcraft fiction, non-fiction, could be hidden galleries of a secret society, etc.
  • AoS: Create a terrain suitable for an AoS game. Get creative with the use of common AoS elements such as lanes design, jungle and the bases.
We can create a poll for people to vote on the themes later on.

Look who showed up! For judges we could use some veteran terrainers like Keiji and well, if you happen to know any retired-Romanian-terrainer-also-texture-artist-who-logs-in-once-in-a-while, let us know! Unless he's willing to participate, but that's another story.

Hmmm like last terraning contest? That was fun, we could try that again.

Well it seems this site doesn't have much of a terraining community for scenic terrains like we had back in the day, so as stated above I'm inclined to believe it should be a playable terrain thing, to get more people engaged. BTW I feel that we can venture into launching a terraining contest without having to wait for much confirmations in this thread. More people than expected tend pop up over the course of terraining contests, as we could see in the last Mini Terraining Contest

If only that would be possible mah dood. If only.....

Judging, I could be arsed to do that if only someone would keep me on my duties.

I quite like @Keiji 's Aftermath them btw.

We could also try some Ascendance theme: something like say the definition and some examples of how we could do it.
It could also fork into Evolution...not just literally species but environments as well.

Reactions: San
Level 28
Hmmm. What about going straight for the Aftermath theme? I mean, no poll for choosing the theme. If everyone's okay with that, I'll skip the poll.

But, about the contest being no-imports or a playable terrain (as suggested): manifest your opinions, guys! Aside from the ones who already suggested it.

Level 28
I can't take the responsibility on this one, sorry, I have too much on my plate right now. So anyone volunteering to be the host will be more than welcome :)

Of course an applied mod will still look after the contest to ensure things are okay, so the host won't have all the responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.