• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Ancient Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch out for the triggers and functions that execute periodically. If they are meant to be executed indefinitely, increase the efficiency of such triggers/functions, and i'm not even talking about leaks, for instance: don't create and destroy a group each 2 seconds, and try to refreshing it instead. Also avoid GUI in such trigg's/func's.
You may also want to try and test the fps while playing your map.

I hope this may help you.

Creating and destroying groups are fine and won't lead to lag since they're cleaned up, refreshing meaning what? No need to avoid GUI. . .

Level 7
Would someone be willing to fix the triggers and help me implement the game modes? After that a beta release will be a matter of days, but I'd need that help due to my low triggering skill and reduced available time and motivation lately.

Would someone be willing to fix the triggers and help me implement the game modes? After that a beta release will be a matter of days, but I'd need that help due to my low triggering skill and reduced available time and motivation lately.

I'm here, your actually not that bad. I wasn't able to find anything wrong except a few things that could be optimized as well added such as destroying one time triggers. If you can't find anyone else, I am still here if you need help. Just remember I am not the fastest of people. :thumbs_up:

Level 7
I'm here, your actually not that bad. I wasn't able to find anything wrong except a few things that could be optimized as well added such as destroying one time triggers. If you can't find anyone else, I am still here if you need help. Just remember I am not the fastest of people. :thumbs_up:

Well, they've been checked by other people before as well. Still noone could find what overloads the memory and that's mostly what disappoints me. Have you edited the version I sent you? I've got a more recent one.

Level 7
Memory overload? Well I didn't edit/add much.

There's an issue with lag in the late game (especially true when there's many players/AI in the game) and it even crashes at times with a memory error.

There's an issue with lag in the late game (especially true when there's many players/AI in the game) and it even crashes at times with a memory error.

There is a possibility your calling destroyed data such as a unit that has been removed from the game to cause fatal errors as well though I didn't see it when I looked.

For the lag I notice you use two unit groups for gold income from buildings, I suggest to remove that and catch when they finish building then add the income that way and remove it when they die. It would cost less memory then enumerating all units of those types every minute.

Level 7
Well, I've missed most of those last comments, just noticed them but...

I'm here with the first beta release:)

The map is at a playable state with a working AI on all difficulties, including 5 Civs:
-Athenians
-Carthaginians
-Macedonians (with 3 successor sub-factions)
-Romans
-Spartans

Player count is reduced to 4 and map size is reduced as well and the lag/crash issue seems to have disappeared since that change. Map layout is changed as well and many of the game modes are implemented. Here's a protected version.

Known issues:
Starting Phase - Post Imperial doesn't work for AI players
Some tooltips need improvement
A few hotkeys might not be working
Some Icons need changes or passive versions

I currently don't have the focus to apply trigger changes or any major fixes in general, but if someone's willing to check those last suggestions to improve on the triggers for the next version, I can provide an unprotected map.

If someone wants to play (I'm on EU battlenet) pm and I will If I'm around:)

Attachments

• AncientEmpiresBeta0.1-opt.w3x
    6.7 MB · Views: 200
Level 12
I was looking at this for a while and it is a great project. It is cool you released a beta , good luck to finish the map

Level 7
I was looking at this for a while and it is a great project. It is cool you released a beta , good luck to finish the map

Btw, among other feedback I'd love some on how far the map is from being worthy of a map section release.

Level 3
Damn! I've always been a fan of the age of empires/Rome: total war series. This looks amazing tot be honest! Will make sure to try it out once I get home tonight.

Hopefully you won't stop working on it. Looks really promising!

Level 7
you miht be able to, have a map swctioj release..

I'd like to polish it a bit more first.

Damn! I've always been a fan of the age of empires/Rome: total war series. This looks amazing tot be honest! Will make sure to try it out once I get home tonight.

Hopefully you won't stop working on it. Looks really promising!

I hopefully will continue to update it, the pace depends on feedback given, interest it gathers and my available time.

Level 7
It's been a while, but here's a minor update:
- Changed terrain and vegetation to a grassy theme better fitting with the currently released civs. Added/changed a few minor details. Layout is still the same and terrain in general is a work in progress.
- Added new Market by fingolfin and the updated versions of the other structures from his ancient Greek pack (btw I noticed this still didn't fix the portrait issues some of them have).
- Fixed some typos.

Known issues:
- Content still missing, many placeholder models, tooltips and icons.
- Starting Phase - Post Imperial doesn't work for AI players.
- A few hotkeys might not be working.

Attachments

• AncientEmpiresBeta0.2-opt.w3x
    6.7 MB · Views: 107

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Thank you going to try it now and post a review when done testing.
I'm so happy your continuing with this map, enjoy creating it.

Level 7
Thanks for the support:) Since I currently don't have that much time to work on the map, if the next update is to be a more serious one, specific suggestions and especially bug reports would be really helpful.

Level 7
Have you considered placing everything on a world map? I'm sure it would attract a bigger crowd.

If he would do that he should also consider other Civs.

The biggest issue with this would be building space.. the Mediterranean as a massive central sea is a must, and several civs are supposed to be on thin peninsulas. So it wouldn't fit with the classic RTS gameplay I've gone for. Balancing would also be harder.

On the other hand, something in support of this idea is that I can't seem to decide on a final map shape but I don't think that or more attention is enough to convince me to change the entire gameplay.

If that change would be implemented, I'd separate the 3 Macedonian subfactions (Antigonid Macedon, Seleucid Empire and Ptolemaic Egypt) and probably add Parthians, Gauls, Scythians etc, but that would also require extra models (the same reason that I haven't added those yet). Athens + Antigonid Macedon + Sparta wouldn't fit in a tiny Greece, even with a different more risk-like gameplay.. so at least one of those would also have to be taken out.

Level 15
What about Wall and gate Building? (Screen capture from my map)

Not sure how to make it look less retarded, as currently you can only build inside a circled area and those walls are really not that friendly to the eye.
Also think it would look better on your map, sine your terrain has more space and is more flat.

Attachments

• Namnlös.jpg
    Namnlös.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 286
Status
Not open for further replies.