• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An Attack Skill (Probably a noob question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So all I'm looking to do is make a skill which, when the cooldown is triggered after casting said skill, causes the hero to attack. It sounded simple in my head when all of a sudden I realized I have no clue how to do this. It doesn't seem like something people would normally need. It's also kind of 5 in the morning over here so I'd appreciate anyone's advice!

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I am not sure if I understood your question correctly. You want to make a skill that causes the hero to attack the target?

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I think it's hard to use an attack, because this could be canceled by the player. I would probably pause the attacking unit and play the attack animation and trigger the damage. The problem with this is, that it would not depend on the unit's damgage. I will test something now. If it works I may have another solution.

Edit: Is the skill supposed to have a target, or just to increase the power of the next attack?

Last edited:

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
So here is a map with one targeted method and one instand method. The problems with the targeted method is, that the caster must have 0 cast animation time, so the caster starts to attack as soon as you use the skill. The caster gets a hidden critical strike and attacks the target.
After dealing damage the critical strike is removed.

I used Weep's GUI-Friendly Damage Detection. This is just a basic idea of how to make this skill. It has no levels and is not MUI.

Edit: Bugs fixed.

Attachments

• Test4.w3x
    26.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
You would have to use an ability that does not use cast time (windwalk, berserk), but I don't think there is a targeted ability that does not use cast time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think what he is after is like the Butcher from HotS where you can use his Hamstring ability and it immediately executes an attack after it finishes. This is very important to such hero play style as it allows one to quickly combo Attack -> Hamstring -> Attack.

Not sure this is possible in WC3. In Hereos of the Storm they probably achieve the effect by resetting the cooldown link for the weapon, or by giving the unit an insane attack speed for 1 attack.

Level 9
I think what he is after is like the Butcher from HotS where you can use his Hamstring ability and it immediately executes an attack after it finishes. This is very important to such hero play style as it allows one to quickly combo Attack -> Hamstring -> Attack.

Not sure this is possible in WC3. In Hereos of the Storm they probably achieve the effect by resetting the cooldown link for the weapon, or by giving the unit an insane attack speed for 1 attack.

Yeah that'd be pretty much how this would've worked. Geez, it sounds so simple but I guess they hadn't come up with the idea of resetting swing timers back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.