• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Alternative to gold mines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Also you can create a unit that generates gold as his ultimate, lets say he creates 50 gold x his hero level

Level 12
That would be really interesting

but because you can only get your ultimate at level 6 it would really be 300-500 gold

Level 9
it's all trigger based, so you can have him generate 750 gold or 1,000 gold, or whatever number you find appropriate

Level 12
True, however if I was in charge of making that ability I would have him generate

level 6 - 200 gold
level 7 - 400 gold
level 8 - 600 gold
level 9 - 800 gold
level 10 - 1000 gold

Level 9
1000 gold is way too much, I would've capped it at 750 or 800

Lvl 6 150
Lvl 7 300
Lvl 8 450
Lvl 9 600
Lvl 10 750

or

Lvl 6 400
Lvl 7 500
Lvl 8 600
Lvl 9 700
Lvl 10 800

Level 12
Ye, that's reasonable, considering that goldmines with 6 workers make about 600 gold per minute, you would have to make the cooldown to at least 2 minutes and I'll believe it would be set

Level 11
Hello, Im back.

Anyway I think the amount of gold that you get should depend on the cooldown, it can exceed 1000 but the cooldown would have to be 3.5 minutes

In this case I believe that its fine to leave the cooldown to about 2 minutes and 20-30 seconds and that would balanced for 800 gold

Level 12
Why so long, this isn't an OP ability like locust swarm, doom, or Interno, I mean all it does is gives the play some gold, I would go for a 2 minute cooldown and not a second more

Level 9
I completely agree with Lord Aiden on this one, its cooldown should be 2 minutes or less, its not OP in any manner and it will greatly help the players economy, the reason some ultimates have such a long cooldown is to prevent abuse, I don't see this being abused at all

Level 11
I kind of see where you're coming from, but an addition 800 in funds every 2 minutes? isn't that excessive ?

Level 9
Look if this is your cash unit and you don't have any gold mines, well its not that excessive at all .... think about this for a minute

Level 11
My mistake, guess you're right

But if I were you I would give this ability to the Castle or any other tier 3, that was every side will have it, and I think it should be enabled once a certain percentage of gold is taken out of the gold mines.

Level 11
Also you have an ability called "supply drop" where a dragon or something similar flies through your base and drops useful items as well as coin, this is done once in a while but you can have it triggered, but it would be really cool

Level 11
Just have gold mines all over the map, have some in a forest: you gotta chop the trees down to get to it, also give hidden gold mine like 562,582 gold. also set up lumbar trading, that'll keep you going if the gold is out. Also later in the game; when one of the major objectives has already been accomplished have the player receive a small amount of gold every 3 minutes or so as his "thanks" this should keep the player in the game. other thought are developing a structure that can generate resources when it has a particular item in i, also supply depots can be capture for more income. Lastly you can have a unit which like mentioned in your posts has an ability to create gold, however it needs mana to do this and this particular unit cannot regenerate mana, so in order to help this unit make gold you'll need to take it next to a mana fountain. and as long as its close to a mana you should be getting a steady gold supply...

Level 9
One thing I forgot to mention: You could have a chapter where your goal is to destroy your enemy's bases while protecting yours, well in this case your castle (as long as its alive) can generate gold, all you have to do is keep it alive....I've played missions like this, they are pretty fun if you known what you're doing...

Level 12
I played a map with a very similar concept, I can tell you this much: unless you like those sorts of missions it will be a major pain

Level 9
Ok, the best choice for you would probably be a map where you have to capture supply depots or alchemy crystals or something similar that can generate funds indefinitely...that's probably the best way to go, but how you go about doing this is entirely up to you, good luck, hope you find the right solution and be able to properly develop it to your tastes :)

Last edited:
Level 12
Can you at least remember where you got some of the models, skins, and the unit's abilities? That game play looked real good.

Level 9
I'll see if I can find the map, if not I will try my best to remember the various details such as the models and the abilities......

Level 6
Not sure if the OP is still wondering about alternatives to gold mines. Here are some suggestions from me that I myself am using in my campaign that you could use. 1. Shipwrecks giving gold. You can create a small gold system on salvaging shipwrecks for lumber and gold. This, of course, would be a bonus way to get gold alongside a different way. 2. Lumber into gold. You can create a transfer system where you can transfer lumber into gold (I'm doing this for at least 1 mission). 3. Trade routes. This along with 4. will be the main ways I'm doing it overall in mine. Basically, you can spawn a group of units at a region. Some will be defenders others will be transports. You can trigger the defenders to defend the transports and then the transports to just get to a region near the normal main base of the player. Once it reached that point you remove it from the game and generate x amount of gold and lumber for every transport that reached the point. This can be done with sea, air or land. It's easier if you put them in a different faction so you can program ai to attack the trade route units specifically. There is more detail about it but that would just make this to long. 4. Is a thing I call control points. Basically, they generate x amount of gold and lumber every x amount of time. They can be upgraded to give either x amount of more lumber or gold. Or give the same amount of resources but give buffs to specific things. Those are some ideas I have quite a few more and didn't go into much detail about the last 2. Hope this helps

Rem

Rem

Level 7
i used 2 different things that i dont belive anyone has brought up yet

1) Gold for destroying structures - structures such as the opposing forces monuments

2) Gold is generated by a point when a certain artifact is placed in it, (i dont remember where I got this idea but it works very well, as you first have to complete a quest to get the artifact)

Level 12
Here's a modification on your idea Rem, what if each player is able to build just 1 "alchemy tower" or whatever structure, now by itself this structure would produce no income, but it has an inventory with several slots, and if you place a special item such as a crystal in a slot the structure will slowly regenerate some funds, the more of such items are placed inside the building up until the slots are are all filled the greater the income generated by the "alchemy tower".

Edit:

In order to avoid abuse such as carrying over the item from one map to another via a hero's inventory the item should be "absorbed" (like ruins) once taken by a hero and automatically given to the "alchemy structure" if it exists or should be given to it once one is constructed, I just thought about this while having a discussion on the subject.

There are lots of other ways to do this, I can propose a bunch of ideas but I think this is the better working one, and with the properly implemented safeguards it can't be abused like other ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.