Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I dont believe in either way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I believe in something similar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care if this is possible or not

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Since this seems to be a very interesting topic, I dicided to create another thread to discus it. This thread includes any type of AI - Learning computers, programs that immitate life, things that the general topic of AI.

Artificial Intelligence is a possibilty, but creating ACTUAL Intelligence is the real problem.

I think it might be possible, but not with our current information storage capacity. It would require a machine that would have an extremely large information capacity.

A Side note: There is a Pentabyte, which I am pretty sure is 1,024 Terrabytes. One Terrabyte is 1,024 Gigabytes. One Gig is 1,024 Megabytes. One Megabyte is 1,024 Bytes. 1 Byte is 8 bits. 1 bit can store 1 character (not an integer, integers are bigger than characters).

When I say extremely large capacity i mean whatever is bigger then a Pentabyte, which could store an amazing ammount of information (probably all the information that is on the internet), with alot of space to spare.

Level 20
I believe the world as we know it will fall when we become obsessed with AI. Just watch the terminator movies!!

In all honesty, I don't think we're anywhere near the possibility of creating an independant and intelligent mind as a computer. Eventually, yes, but who knows? No one can effectively predict the future (even those damned weather channels -.-').

Level 27
1 megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, 1 kilobyte is 1024 bytes, and a bit is 0 or 1.

The best way to make AI, is to copy the brain.
Consider DNA: DNA generates our entire bodies by the interactions of molecules. The fastest way to calculate those interactions is to perform them using actual matter.

What do we need AI for anyway?

Level 18
a learning computer is impossible, its like having an organism with one brain cells and expecting it to do something interesting. a learning network is already possible. actually intelligence is a matter of time in my opinoin.

There's a learning computer in robot form. Was built ages ago. Currently has the mental age of a 3 or 4 year old after like 20 years or something ridiculous. Can't remember much more about it, this was a few years ago.

As for the possbility of AI, AI in the form of programs that replicate/imitate human behaviour, to very exact degrees, are certainly possible. AI in the form of computers that actually think/experience rather than react, however, seems relatively impossible given current technology (And I'm not talking about processing power or storage limitations or something like that).

Level 36
Recently I watched a video like BBC Horizon or something that talked about artificial intelligence and it shows people have already made machines that respond exactly to the thoughts of a monkey (i.e. a robotic arm that moves when the monkey moves its arm, exactly the right positions).

Also, people have already recreated a rat's brain with supercomputers, but it took an entire room.

Level 27
Recently I watched a video like BBC Horizon or something that talked about artificial intelligence and it shows people have already made machines that respond exactly to the thoughts of a monkey (i.e. a robotic arm that moves when the monkey moves its arm, exactly the right positions).
That's intelligence at work, the monkey learned how to use the arm.

Level 27
The robotic arm did not develop, it was static in it's functioning. The monkey learned how to use the arm.
Your brain needs to learn how to use your body. Even, surprisingly, your eyes.

Level 11
I don't understand, functional in every aspect? Because emotions I see as beyond techonology of the brain. Just took biology, which doesn't really get into the whole sci fi area but we did talk a little on the advances needed for a computer to function as in a brain, and according to my teacher he doesn't think we're even close, and i'm going to have to agree.

Level 36
We are not close at all. We are far away, but the pace at which me move is getting MUCH faster every year, if you catch my drift.

If we kept making technological advancements at the speed we are now, we would never get there.

My theory is that technology is like a triangle, every new development gets closer and closer to the other types of technology that eventually it will all meet and we will get "AI" or an artificial brain.

For example, we have an artificial heart. And we have genetic modifications. And we have a robotic "human", but it has to be controlled by a computer with a person behind it, and it can only do so many things. Put these together and advance them a bit, we have an artificial human with an artificial heart, brain, liver, bones, skin etc. that eats what we eat, does what we do, grows like we do and has emotions like we do. Only it was made by us. It's almost enough to be considered "alive".

But we're talking 1-2 centuries here for that kind of stuff. And by then we probably will have killed each other with new weapons :\

Level 11
Yes but nothing lasts for ever, I mean our techonolgy has been growing on a great accelerated rate since i'm guessing the 70's? But some time it's all got to come to an end, humans have been pretty lucky for a while now compared to our past...

But even with out advancements, making a fully functional artificial brain seems likely never possible. How can true emotions be calculated. Yes intergers mimicing an emotion can, but not the true feeling in our gut that we can't even understand lol. Sounds like Kingdomhearts turns science fiction.

Level 24
The whole body would still only respond to the monkey's movements, ~Void~. Somewhat related, they eventually taught the monkey to move the mechanical arm without moving its real arm.

One of my friends was saying that they'd proven that true artificial intelligence could never be created, even if humans could emulate it fairly well. I don't know any details, but I'd love to learn.

Rakdos,Defiler: You're thinking about a technological singularity, but that's far from the very end of technological advancement.

Level 27
but the pace at which me move is getting MUCH faster every year, if you catch my drift.
You mean Moore's Law?
Moore's Law describes an important trend in the history of computer hardware: that the number of transistors that can be inexpensively placed on an integrated circuit is increasing exponentially, doubling approximately every two years.
Faster is not the same as smarter.
For example, we have an artificial heart. And we have genetic modifications. And we have a robotic "human", but it has to be controlled by a computer with a person behind it, and it can only do so many things. Put these together and advance them a bit, we have an artificial human with an artificial heart, brain, liver, bones, skin etc. that eats what we eat, does what we do, grows like we do and has emotions like we do. Only it was made by us. It's almost enough to be considered "alive".
What use is something that mimics us completely? Growing for a robot is time wasted.
by then we probably will have killed each other with new weapons
Because if there is one thing that's easy, it's completely eradicating something that is trying to stop you from destroying it, while making more of itself.

Last edited:
Level 24
Great to see that you're such an optimist about humanity's technological capabilities, but software advances at a hugely slow rate, especially when compared to hardware.