Advanced Melee AI

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This tool originates from here

Source code now available at: SMUnlimited/AMAI

AMAI is a mod/tool for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne made to improve the computer AI of the game in many possible ways.

AMAI will make it easier to edit the War3 AI, harder to beat and more fun.

The goal is to make a human like opponent or ally that both react on events and tries to insult you by chat taunts while playing in a more human like way.

• Personality Profiles: Each AI opponent has a set profile which modifies how it reacts or plays the game. Some can be real chickens and never dare to attack you while others will rush you down.
  • Dynamic Strategies: Constantly monitors the current situation of the game and always try to pick the best suited strategy to counter the enemy forces.
    • The computers will pick from all strategies depending on what kind of units the enemy has, how long the game has been going and what favorite units the current profile has.
  • Enhanced Micromanagement Control
    • To help keep as many units as possible alive by fleeing by town portal, zeppelin or foot.
    • This includes better use of items and healing items.
    • Makes the enemy force suffer as much as possible by focusing fire on the most vulnerable enemy units first if they are in range.
    • Will buy neutral heroes and units.
    • Can occasionally attempt tower rushes and militia/ancient expansions.
  • Enhanced Team Play
    • Coordinates with allies what it will be attacking or will join allies in attacking a target.
    • Human players have access to the Commander, letting you give commands.
    • Asks for aid if running out resources.
  • Surrenders : Based on profiles some AI's will give up when it detects its losing, while others will fight to the death.
  • Chat Support
    • AMAI will taunt enemy players, and share its build strategy with team players.
    • Includes Support for 10 different languages.
  • Easy to use Strategy and Profile editor.
    • Supports an unlimited amount of your own profiles.
    • Supports an unlimited amount of your own strategies.
    • Auto Building feature for example: a AMAI computer only needs to know that it shall build a hero and 15 footmen. It will automatically build all needed buildings, workers and farms in order to get this as fast as possible.

Requirements
AMAI 2.5.4 - Min 1.24+ Classic edition from 2008
AMAI 2.6.1 - Min 1.24+ Better Support for 1.30+
AMAI 3.0.1 - Min 1.32+
AMAI 3.1 - Min 1.32.10+
  • There are reports that v1.29 of Warcraft 3 prevents AMAI from chatting. This is just an issue with this version and you can downgrade or upgrade.

How to play
AMAI release comes with the standard AI scripts pre-built for you.

It is suggested to create a subfolder in your "maps" folder like "maps\AMAI" and copy the maps you intend to use AMAI with there. For Warcraft 1.30 onwards you need to use Casc Storages - Main page to extract a copy of official maps.

• From a windows commandline or powershell type InstallTFTToMap.bat "C:\mymap.w3m" and press enter to install AMAI to maps
  • Alternatively for complex installs if you have perl installed from a commandline you can type perl InstallTFTtoDir.pl "C:\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\AMAI" and press enter to install AMAI to all maps in a directory and subdirectories.
  • After installing AMAI on your map just start Warcraft3: RoC or TFT and play the map against and/or with computers to make use of AMAI.
Notes
  • Advanced Melee AI is made to be used on 'melee' maps only so please don't try to use it on custom maps (e.g towerdefence), it will make no difference on such maps.
  • The old AMAI.exe installer from classic AMAI has been moved into the Templates folder and will not work unless you run MPQEditor htsize "C:\mymap.w3m" 64 from a commandline first.
  • You may need to run as an administrator if you have issues with maps not displaying any teams.

V2.54
The original 10 year old version that supports 1.24 - 1.29 warcraft.
The download for 2.54 is the developer edition intended for developers to use.
For everyday use the player edition is alternatively available to download here

NOTE: The old 2.5.4 zip is now password protected because Google Chrome is flagging it as malicious software. The password is amai. Note some of the dlls are flagged as virus generic false positives in 2020 due to there age, but they are false positives

Keywords:
Artificial Intelligence, AI
Contents

Advanced Melee AI 2.54 (Binary)

AMAI 2.6.1 (Binary)

AMAI 3.1.1 (Binary)

AMAI 3.0.1 (Binary)

Reviews
AMAI is very, very good. Much better than any Blizzard AI. I love it. ==Update - 25/08/12== It has recently come to our attention that some antivirus softwares like Norton detect a virus in this, however, we can assure you that it is a false...
Level 3
I've been playing with it and having a lot of fun. It's way more varied and intelligent than the original AI

Here's a couple of interesting pics:
WC3ScrnShot_090121_050729_001.png

An AI peasant building a Town Hall next to a Fountain of Health in the Divide and Conquer map, I wonder what prompted the AI to do this. Never happened again even though I played this map and others with Fountains plenty of times

WC3ScrnShot_090321_202916_001.png

A desperate attack from a NE

The only bug I've found is that sometimes the heroes won't pick up the items they get from creeps, even though they have plenty of inventory space.

Level 18
Does this work with Reforged? Why exactly does it have to be a full modification/.exe? Is it also available for single maps only?
It is possible, but since Reforged uses CASC, it might be a difficult way to install this mod. Furthermore, Blizzard uses the anti-cheat system to prevent you for using third-party modifications. There is a people who posted the installation instructions without problems:
Advanced Melee AI

Level 18
Can this be installed to an altered melee map and have the map edited after install? Wanted to improve AI of one of my Altered Melee maps.
You can install this mod assuming that the modified melee map is using the latest patch data.
To find out about this thing, go to "Scenario" -> "Map Option", find the section called "Game Data Set":
Latest Game Patch WE.jpg

Level 1
It worked for me like this.
1. Download AMAI2.54PE
(or it link at the beginning of the thread)
2. Download CascView.
3. Download AMAI 3.1
4. Replace scripts folder from AMAI 3.1 to AMAI2.54PE folder
4. Extract WC3 maps from game files to a separate folder.
5. Run in powershell approximately e:\amai\AdvancedMeleeAI\AMAI\MPQEditor.exe htsize "e:\amai\war3.w3mod\maps\riverrun.w3m" 64. (Without this, it does not plow when added via AMAI.exe)
6. Add AI as standard via AMAI.exe.

ps. InstallTFTToMap.bat via powershell Or cmd didn't work for me. The files just haven't been edited. Version 1.32.10

Level 2
It worked for me like this.
1. Download AMAI2.54PE
(or it link at the beginning of the thread)
2. Download CascView.
3. Download AMAI 3.1
4. Replace scripts folder from AMAI 3.1 to AMAI2.54PE folder
4. Extract WC3 maps from game files to a separate folder.
5. Run in powershell approximately e:\amai\AdvancedMeleeAI\AMAI\MPQEditor.exe htsize "e:\amai\war3.w3mod\maps\riverrun.w3m" 64. (Without this, it does not plow when added via AMAI.exe)
6. Add AI as standard via AMAI.exe.

ps. InstallTFTToMap.bat via powershell Or cmd didn't work for me. The files just haven't been edited. Version 1.32.10
So let me get this straight.

You installed the first veriosn of amai
You installed the latest version of amai
you replaced the files from one file onto another
profit??Let me check and see how it works out for me

Level 2
I cannot get AMAI to work at all for me though. I always get errors on the powershell step. When I try to isntall AMAI the way it is intended it only works for human. I cannot understand. What am I doing wrong?

Level 1
So let me get this straight.
You installed the first veriosn of amai
According to the description, the new version is registered in the maps only through the command line. But it doesn't work for me.
You installed the latest version of amai
This version is work for me via *.exe. There are old AI scripts and it works partially (only people work. So that all bots work, I prescribe from CMD before install AMAI in map e:\amai\AdvancedMeleeAI\AMAI\MPQEditor.exe htsize "e:\amai\war3.w3mod\maps\yourmap.w3m" 64 )
you replaced the files from one file onto another
Only for new scripts AMAI.

ps. I'll repeat it again. The installation of the new AMAI in the cards via the command line does not work for me. But I was able to do it through dancing with a tambourine and the old *.exe integrator.

Last edited:
Level 2
According to the description, the new version is registered in the maps only through the command line. But it doesn't work for me.

This version is work for me via *.exe. There are old AI scripts and it works partially (only people work. So that all bots work, I prescribe from CMD before install AMAI in map e:\amai\AdvancedMeleeAI\AMAI\MPQEditor.exe htsize "e:\amai\war3.w3mod\maps\yourmap.w3m" 64 )

Only for new scripts AMAI.

ps. I'll repeat it again. The installation of the new AMAI in the cards via the command line does not work for me. But I was able to do it through dancing with a tambourine and the old *.exe integrator.
For me only Human works no matter which version I try, in which way I try to install. Even human might, occasionally not work but it's rare. Orcs just mine gold, undead sit idle and elf have a 5% chance to work and a 95% chance to send wisps on trees and do nothing. I get some weird errors while trying to install like "the command was unexpected at that time". I tried to ask Foggy in his latest AMAI video hoping for an answer (in english). To my surprised, despite the video being months old offered to help but I still couldn't get it to work with all that copy-pasting. He has some maps ready in the description though.

Level 1
can anyone explain to me how to get this to work with reforged? i think i installed perl correctly. i have the maps extracted, but when i write
'InstallTFTToMap.bat' i get 'InstallTFTToMap.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file. I'm assuming bc that line is for original warcraft 3. so what do i type for reforged?

P.s.
retried the command with perl and get this
"Can't open perl script "InstallTFTtoDir.pl": No such file or directory"

i am confused as to why you are not using an exe like with version 2.54 and instead command prompt?

Last edited:
Level 1
кто-нибудь может объяснить мне, как заставить это работать с Reforged?
Try it.
1. Replace scripts folder AMAI 2.54 from folder last AMAI patcher.(2.31)
2. Run to map in powershell e:\amai\AdvancedMeleeAI\AMAI\MPQEditor.exe htsize "e:\amai\war3.w3mod\maps\riverrun.w3m" 64. (Without this, it does not work when added via AMAI.exe)
3. Add AI to map as standard via AMAI.exe from 2.54

Level 1
Try it.
1. Replace scripts folder AMAI 2.54 from folder last AMAI patcher.(2.31)
2. Run to map in powershell e:\amai\AdvancedMeleeAI\AMAI\MPQEditor.exe htsize "e:\amai\war3.w3mod\maps\riverrun.w3m" 64. (Without this, it does not work when added via AMAI.exe)
3. Add AI to map as standard via AMAI.exe from 2.54
i tried with just extracting amai.exe from 2.54 into the latest version and ran it and it said everything was successful but didnt actually test. ididnt replace scripts or use powershell. how will i know if it works or not? if it doesnt i will have to try your method

Level 2
I GOT IT WORKING!!
So if you want to download AMAI 3.1.1 for Reforged (Win 10), you can try to do what I did:
1) Put AMAI on your desktop and create a foldr with the maps you want within the AMAI Folder.
2) Then open cmd and type cd C:\Users\username\Desktop\AMAI. That opens the file through CMD.
3) In one line, with the "s, type "./InstallTFTToMap.bat" "./Maps/(2)bootybay.w3m". A bunch of stuff should appear in your CMD and the map works for Booty Bay. You can download it on any map you like by replacing the number of players and the name of the map in your files
4) After that, make sure to move the maps from the AMAI folder to your Documents -> W3Reforged -> Maps. If you have any questions, you can try asking me on Reddit (u/gartoll) or add me on Discord (gartoll#4102) to help you since I'm not active here that much

Now I've made a ZIP file with the maps I installed AMAI on. You can try to unzip it and put it on a separate folder in your Reforged maps but it's not guaranteed to work. Some maps I've downloaded in the past are here as well. Mostly unknown 1v1 maps (Mars Lighthouse, Logging camp etc) but NOT W3Champions maps. Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Sc4ZyHREJJiCGv5fdwXqSHN5HWjiC4j/view?usp=sharing