• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About map protection

So....Do you want to Protect your map

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
1) If you forget to backup the map then you can only blame yourself for it
2) Many people dont give credits even for maps the copy anyway. To learn how to make maps you have to experiment yourself or you will never be really good at it
3) An unupdated map can be popular a long time, and even if you update it regularly it wont be popular forever anyway

If you dont protect your maps:
If the map is popular you can be 100% sure that there will be several copies of it floating around on bnet after a short while. And you can also be sure that alot of the people who made those copies will not give you the slightest credit for it, because they copy it to try to make people belive they made it and steal your credits. Ofcourse not all people are like that, but there's alot of jerks and morons on bnet.
However as lonely wolf said, no one can use your map to learn, so if you have found out something special and good in your map then you should share it with others on places like this forum afterwards.

If you do protect your maps:
If you make a popular map you get all the credits and people will remember your name, greet you when they see you, send you mails about how much they like your map etc because they know that you and no one else made the map.
However after you have taken advantage of your map and the concept as much as påossible (til it's not that popular anymore) then you should release it unprotected if you want the concept to live on. Then people can shape the map in new ways and create new maps

PS: This was wroten by Uni @ www.warcraftiii.net
So that you ppl should know that i didn't steal it!

Level 2
I have always had a unique way of accomplishing both when developing my map. Yes I copy protect my map. However I know there are those who wish to learn how to make maps. So every now and then on my site I post an Open Source copy of an older version so peeps can still learn from it, but not completely steal the new ideas or find ways to exploit current versions of Hero Wars EE and BG.

Level 9
i know you didn't steal it, unless you're a scizo, you are mentioned in that text, if you would've written that, it would be in 3d person.

Now, i do protect my maps, because i AM proud of what i do, of what i make, of what my brain came up with.
If people want my help, my code, they can get it, but not without asking.

And hooray, one of my maps is indeed getting populair, i'm really glad i protected it.

Level 8
Angelusz said:
i know you didn't steal it, unless you're a scizo, you are mentioned in that text, if you would've written that, it would be in 3d person.

Now, i do protect my maps, because i AM proud of what i do, of what i make, of what my brain came up with.
If people want my help, my code, they can get it, but not without asking.

And hooray, one of my maps is indeed getting populair, i'm really glad i protected it.

Well....I did start the thread. But Uno wrote it MUCH bether then me. He wasen't writing to me. But all the other ppl that for some weird reason enters that thread.

Level 16
Sadly, I will have to protect my maps with HeavyLock to reduce size and seriously keep those assholes off my maps. Secondly, if I didn't protect it and want it open source, I would use the WEU write protection, then remove useless files with HL, maybe digitally watermark, then reimport the object data to keep idiots from rigging it. That way people can learn and those idiots will end up losing a 2-3 megabyte map after spending 2 hours dling it

Level 4
i wouldn't protect a map I make. Not really much of a point for me actually since I'm not doing multiplayer popular bnet games, just single player campaigns/rpgs. I guess this question doesn't really apply to me.

Level 9

Well, i dont really protect my maps unless i make something that i want to keep secret, and of course, i havent found anything worth protecting, yet.
When i was starting map making, there WERE no map protecters for wc3, about three years ago to date.
So naturaly i have no idea how it fells to open a map and have it be protected.
But, i dont protect em anyway because i never really use anything worth protecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.