1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

About Lan

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Statharas, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not one-install-per-purchase; it's one-account (person logged in at once)-per-purchase.

2. Kilkakon

Kilkakon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Exactly. To have a friend at every machine, I would have to buy an account for each machine.

3. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Then tell them to buy it, or tough luck. What is so hard about this? If they enjoy playing the game, they should buy it.

4. Kilkakon

Kilkakon

Resources:
    Resources:
    The point is that they never will. As soon as I told them that they wasn't LAN available, they all lost interest as quickly as I did. It's a shame really.

5. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry man, but.. Why should they get to play for free?

6. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ahh I see what the problem is. They are not connected to the internet.

7. Kilkakon

Kilkakon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well let's put it this way... every other company is generous enough to allow LAN games to happen. Because of this, we'll be playing Warcraft 3 and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade for our LANs, rather than Starcraft 2.

Blizzard's stance is somewhat self-contradictory. If they say that LAN parties are a thing of the past and diminishing, then removing the feature seems pointless as it only causes mass agro for little gain. Of course there are other reasons that people have figured out (private servers etc.) but it wasn't the reason that Blizzard gave.

What I would do if I was running a games company is have two versions of a game. The first would be a full version that would have all the standard anti-piracy stuff like online validation and whatever. The second would have LAN ability only. People wanting to play online or single player would need their own copy. I believe that's a fair way to do things -- it's generous and it's advertising. When people get to try out a game, and they enjoy it, they are likely to want to get it themselves (exactly what happened with Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Red Alert 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.).

EDIT: And yeah you are right thisruoy it is kinda academic as the LAN room is about 50m away from an internet connection. :p

8. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Key phrase: for our LAN. Clearly it isn't a big enough deal to affect Blizzard's sales in the least - the only difference here is that people don't get to play for free. It's kinda hard to sympathize with people complaining about not getting to play games that other people pay for for free.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you have enough computers capable of running SC2 to have a LAN party, I am pretty sure you can afford to have them all networked to the internet to play SC2 on all of them at once.

The problem with a LAN only version like you would make is that it does internet (via packet fowarding) and LAN. The result is that fewer people will buy the full multiplayer version and most of the multiplayer will be via LAN packet fowarding rather than over your multiplayer system. As there is no pircy checks, you will also get a lot of people playing the game multiplayer on the internet via LAN who did not buy the game.

Once again, I will conclude with the argument of... If you can aford enough PCs that are capable of running SC2 to have a LAN party, why can you not afford to add even a basic internet connection to the network so all of them can axcess the internet and play SC2...

10. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    each player need a valid starcraft 2 license. that means that each player need to buy the game.

11. Asehujiko

Asehujiko

Resources:
    Resources:
    Theoretical example: Your significant other comes to your house for dinner. Do you refuse to cook anything for him/her because they didn't buy their own stove? And do you yell at your friends for sitting down without buying an additional chair?

I'm going to make a wild guess here and say that most of you will answer "No".

So why does Activision get a free pass when they expect you to do so with their product?

I buy a stove, I decide who I cook dinner for, not GE.
    I buy a chair, I decide who gets to sit on it when I have guests, not IKEA.
    I buy a game, I decide which of my friends I can play games with, not Activision. If they breach a bunch of consumer laws to prevent that, So be it, I'll exercise my right of being allowed to do whatever I want to my own property to make it happen anyway and get an offline crack.

FAQ:
    EBIL PWIRATE!!!1!!
    1st, get off your high horse, this is a widely discussed topic with widely varying opinions, yours is not better then the rest. 2nd, different countries, different laws, as said, I'm allowed to do whatever I want with any object I own, I can install it while sitting upside down, I can put a rickroll video in every file directory and I can add an offline.exe file to it. 3rd, downloading a crack will not magically intercept and stop the money I paid for my preorder.

But the TOS...
    ...Is not a legally binding document in the EU since I can't read it before purchasing the game and I think this also applies to the US.

But I do serve my GF cold food and not allow my friends to sit down.
    Congratulations, you are only being a jerk instead of a hypocrite.

12. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    *cough*

Sc2 won't use a DVD at all. You install, you login, you play. Simple as that. Just lend your friend your dvd to install the game. And then let him play on his own account.

13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This post has no relevance to the post you quoted.

14. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    we need LAN for PC centers for people who don't own the game.

otherwise everyone would need their own account before they could play

15. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Which you will have to do in order to play the game. It says so in the terms of service(Always does).

16. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, before the CD Key patch, Wc3 had to be cracked in order to play LAN. Now, without LAN, and no need for DVDs, i doubt you won't be willing to give your friend your dvd. Just for the installation.

17. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh no, you can't steal it as easily now!

What a tragedy!

18. Asehujiko

Asehujiko

Resources:
    Resources:
    Read my previous post about how that makes absolutely no sense. When cooking dinner for multiple people, they aren't stealing your stove, yet when you play a game with your friends, they suddenly are?

19. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This.

Seriously, BUY THE FREAKIN GAME. YOUR INTERNET CAFES WILL HAVE IT INSTALLED, YOU JUST NEED YOUR ACCOUNT TO PLAY.

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Seriously. Every single person I've seen saying we need LAN recently is saying that we need it so that they can play with their friends who don't own the game. I am getting the impression more and more that there is in fact no good justification for legal use of LAN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.