• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Ability that places a buff on attack, and stacks with its derivations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Basically, I need an ability that you can base numerous abilities off, but add them a different buff to place, and they all stack, does this exist in any way, shape or form?

The tornado aura ability doesn't appear in the ability lists in the UI (no icon and it doesn't push others out of the way). You can stack any aura buffs as long as their buffs are not the same.

You set the aura to only affect "self". Set the slow values to 0 (unless you want to have it slow as well). Give it any buff and it will display on the unit with no other side effects. The buffs will appear negative, but you can use colour codes to make them green (to appear positive).

Note that, in order to have an animation on the buff, you have to add it to the tornado aura ability and not the buff you use. It is just a quirk of auras since they don't want the aura animation and also the little ring indicating they have a buff from an aura to both appear.

The problem is that you have to manually trigger the buff (any kind of DOT or other affects like reduced armour, etc) and handle removing it. When you remove it, make sure to also remove the buff because it will linger for a bit potentially causing confusion. Another problem is that you can't remove the buffs just by doing "Unit - Remove all negative buffs". You have to remove the aura ability. Anyway, there are system that manage a lot of this. I have not used one before, but I have seen them around.

EDIT:
Okay I just noticed you want this on attacks.

I made a custom orb system in my map using the orb of corruption ability (I think it's that one, but just in case, it is the armour reduction one). The orb ability doesn't actually do anything itself - it just applies a buff to the unit it hits. In my damage detection system, I have some code that checks for this buff. If a unit has this buff, I know that they got "hit" by another unit. I can then apply specific triggers on "hits" only.

In order to place multiple different buffs, I use tornado aura abilities as described above. For an indefinite amount of arbitrary buffs, I think this is the only way.

I triggered my own orb effects so you can only have one like normal (though I made a passive to let you have two :D). You can do a lot of crazy things if you use systems like this, but the overhead of creating or implementing all these systems can be a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.