• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A short preview of my new system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
GUI stuff is horribly difficult to modify or follow in general.

I'm just very odd then, I find GUI easier to modify or to folow then JASS. :p
JASS always gives me a huge headache.
To be more on topic, this is a very nice system but I don't think it would be useful in most rpg's except for his own. So actually publishing it isn't really that a big of a priority. :p

Level 13
I'm just very odd then, I find GUI easier to modify or to folow then JASS. :p
JASS always gives me a huge headache.
To be more on topic, this is a very nice system but I don't think it would be useful in most rpg's except for his own. So actually publishing it isn't really that a big of a priority. :p

But some ideas are quite nice to "steal", you don't have to import the whole system, just couple of genius ideas.

And you find GUI easier to follow than JASS because you don't know JASS. But if you did, you would figure out that following JASS is a lot easier then following GUI, no matter how much of an "expert" you are in GUI.

And that is a fact, like PurplePoot said.

If you still don't want to believe it, then just think about it. Isn't it possible that we JASSers, who know both GUI and JASS, know better about these things than a GUI user that doesn't know JASS?

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's hard to understand. I, personally, often get headaches from GUI, but that's because I know how bad it is. There's a difference.

I hope this didn't sound like flaming. Well, it probably did, but I wanted to strongly express my opinion on this subject.

Level 10
But some ideas are quite nice to "steal", you don't have to import the whole system, just couple of genius ideas.

And you find GUI easier to follow than JASS because you don't know JASS. But if you did, you would figure out that following JASS is a lot easier then following GUI, no matter how much of an "expert" you are in GUI.

And that is a fact, like PurplePoot said.

If you still don't want to believe it, then just think about it. Isn't it possible that we JASSers, who know both GUI and JASS, know better about these things than a GUI user that doesn't know JASS?

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's hard to understand. I, personally, often get headaches from GUI, but that's because I know how bad it is. There's a difference.

I hope this didn't sound like flaming. Well, it probably did, but I wanted to strongly express my opinion on this subject.

If he doesn't understand jass, its easier for him to follow GUI, thats a fact, nothing to complain about, whether jass is easier or not.

You don't even need to know jass. If you can't modify something like this

JASS:
globals
    private constant real TIMER_INTERVAL = 0.03
    private constant boolean SHOW_MESSAGES = false
endglobals

Then you have bigger problems.

If he doesn't understand jass, its easier for him to follow GUI, thats a fact, nothing to complain about, whether jass is easier or not.

Again, you don't need to know jass to modify the configurables.

Level 11
Ok, it's not completly done in GUI. I cleaned allready most of the leaks by using JASS in custom scripts. Some triggers use timer with recall function and I use a lot of local variables and so on. But setting up this in JASS won't be much easier than using GUI, cause there is a huge bunch of triggers needed. And I agree the, GUI makes it easier to find a specific function. In JASS you have to scroll through a huge part of the script etc. I will optimize it by using a combination of GUI and JASS.

And to the end it would be nice if you can stop that discussion about the advantages of JASS against GUI in this thread. I'm sure I'll ask about some things I need in JASS but not for now, cause I'm teaching it myself step by step.

Neverthless thanks for time you've spend reading this thread :)

Thy

Level 8
The whole GUI and Jass debate is useless, because GUI so broken that you need Jass ( custom scripts ) to fix it.

With Jass you can do these things much more smoothly and vJass makes it all almost too easy.

Anyways, it does look cool. Nice work.

Level 17
To end the whole Jass vs Gui offtopic mess.

You don't even need to know jass. If you can't modify something like this

JASS:
globals
    private constant real TIMER_INTERVAL = 0.03
    private constant boolean SHOW_MESSAGES = false
endglobals

Then you have bigger problems.

Again, you don't need to know jass to modify the configurables.

Oke, I can't understand what that code does, how to change it to make it still working and what ever. What problems do I have? None, except that I can't use it.

Ok, it's not completly done in GUI. I cleaned allready most of the leaks by using JASS in custom scripts.
Well I don't really consider it Jass if it's just custom scripts. It's still written in GUI using actions conditions and events. I clean leaks to and use some other short scripts.

Now sure, Jass is better. But I can't use it. A airplane is better then a car. But if you don;t know how to make it work it's useless. Get it?
I'm not learning jass because: I'M GOING TO STOP MAPMAKING IN WC3 ANYWAY, L4D MAP MAKING IS WHAT I DO NOW.
So should I want to learn something I wont use? If I do make maps, they use gui and that's fine.

So now you know, and this offtopic talk can stop.

Level 13
Oke, I can't understand what that code does, how to change it to make it still working and what ever. What problems do I have? None, except that I can't use it.

You what he meant is (for example) if the interval is 0.03 and you need to change it to, lets say, 0.05, it's really easy to change. He meant that if you can't modify something like that then you have some bigger problems.

Well I don't really consider it Jass if it's just custom scripts. It's still written in GUI using actions conditions and events. I clean leaks to and use some other short scripts.

Custom script lines in GUI are JASS. I thought that was clear pretty much...?

Now sure, Jass is better. But I can't use it. A airplane is better then a car. But if you don;t know how to make it work it's useless. Get it?

But you can learn it. You can still learn the basics of an airplane, for example, you can learn how to start the engine, how to use the navigator etc.

I'm not learning jass because: I'M GOING TO STOP MAPMAKING IN WC3 ANYWAY, L4D MAP MAKING IS WHAT I DO NOW.
So should I want to learn something I wont use? If I do make maps, they use gui and that's fine.

That's fine, WE sucks anyways. I hate the fact that in WE you have to compensate everything that is missing, so sometimes it's down to avoiding bugs and extending lots of limitation.

Yeah, this can stop now. I hope moderators won't be mad.

Level 6
In my opinion, this will never be a big hit,
the system looks much like the one used in Age of Conan (referring to the battle mode), and every time he attacks: he's paused, and that doesn't make a 'cool' battle. Not to mention that he can't move while attacking.

The way you try to 'imitate' RPG features (inventory, character screen etc.) doesn't really fit Warcraft 3. Unless you can actually make a new UI where you have more spells available for use and a more intuitive UI overall, like in AoC or WoW, this is just eye candy that can never be implemented in a good way in any good map.

No offense, but this is redundant and clumsy.

On another note, it is fun to see how far you can go with the editor and once again prove that there are more things it is capable of.
Well done!

Can it be introduced into a multiplayer environment?

JASS vs GUI
I'd like to add that learning JASS is a 'gateway' to programming (games) with C/C++/C#/JAVA etc, at least it was for me.
Even though much of the functions are automated, you learn the essentials, concepts and structures of programming.
And with vJASS it enhances the experience further by adding 'structs', introducing OOP, which is the very core method used in (almost all) programming.

Last edited:
Level 8
I really love these Jass and GUI conversations.

But hey really, GUI is just some bits of Jass with really ugly interface.

Anyways, good luck with your project. Sorry if this is answered before, but can we find some info about it somewhere else? Do you have some thread for it or something?

Level 11
Do you have some thread for it or something?

Not yet, but I'm planning a project thread to give a collection of infos, screenshots and videos.

Btw, this interface isn't clumsy, can be editied to fit multiplayer and being redundant is a positiv feature for a program. Nevertheless, call me arrogant, but if I manage to complete it the way I want it to be, this will lift the RPG in <acronym title="Warcraft 3">wc3</acronym> mods to another lvl.

And things like attacking while running can be triggered without leak, or lag or something else bad :)

Only thing that can't be done is a actionbar-like-interface like in WoW, cause there are no trigger for removing trackables. With a not moving screen it would be easy.

Level 11
For now it is and will stay singleplayer. After SP works as it should I will release a multiplayerversion packed into a RPG.

I did this by the use of some custom made models(most are simple quars) and custom made textures combined with trackables.

For further infromation abuot this project plaese visit Darkwind RPG.

Thy

hmm...ok. this is really nice. i once wanted to do something like that, based on Rage of Mages, where you can train 5 types of weapons, Sword, Axe, Pike, Bludgeon and Shooting weapons... it was turning out nice although my JASS knowledge was poor.
I'm willing to try your system

BTW, it just shows the progress bar to the weapon skills, but not the skill level?

Level 8
Dont know if you have seen this yet.

Dont know if you have considered this kind of approach yet, I just tought you might wanna see it in case you have not seen it yet.

N.O

N.O

Level 6
Nice system you got going there...
(I ask nicely for this reply not to be blocked/deleted/removed)
I am not looking for a arguement but a simple statement which is everything is possible within GUI and Jass/VJass, I know you Jass/VJass users will disagree and try to show me proof so no use trying because I know what I am saying and custom script is considered GUI because of it being in the interface otherwise blizzard would of not put custom script there.

Level 13
Well, we won't argue with you, because we jassers know that JASS has more possibilities than GUI. No offense, but most GUI users worship GUI and despite JASS because they don't feel like learning it. Some things irritate people because they don't understand it, it's normal, because it's in humans' nature.

I guess a simple example of a JASS advantage over GUI is a loop. While in GUI you can have a loop running only a specific number of times (Integer A/B), in JASS you can have a loop that can run until a certain condition is fulfilled, a integer comparison, unit comparison, whatever. With that possibility you can easily find the closest unit from a given point (that is a well-known possibility in JASS, I think).

I know you like GUI a lot, "Long Live GUI" and so on, but I think you don't like JASS because you don't understand it, not because you think it sucks or something. There is a certain reason why no JASSer has gone from JASS back to GUI.

We're not saying that you can't do anything good in GUI. In fact, many GUI spells are much more creative and better than some other spells made in JASS. We're just saying that JASS is much more efficient (especially now).

So, please, spare us.

Level 15
ok i must say this is the best equipment system ive seen to date. Instead of people argueing in your thread about GUI vs. JASS (since its a matter of opinion what ppl use) they should be praising this amazing system. gl with your rpg hopefully it will released soon warcraft 3 needs a new rpg :D

Level 12
About the Vjass/jass GUI debate. I uses GUI because in jass i hate when i make 1 mistake like call removeLocation(blahblah) coz then you see that remove is with r and not R so when you test your map or something you get an error. And sometimes i cant find it thats the reason that i hate jass. ( i cant juse JNPG coz of my antivirus systems)

Status
Not open for further replies.