1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A short preview of my new system

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by Thyrael, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Thyrael

Thyrael

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope, I haven't start terraining yet. I am working to get all the needed systems/functions to run. Cause after they are ready, I can simple copy/paste them and the needed units/item/doodads into the real map. Before starting terraining I have to finish the story line.

2. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's so 100% not true, most people use GUI and not jass. You can say all you want GUI this JASS that. And you'll nagging will be correct.
    But some people don't have the time to learn an entire new language.
    Blame me all you want, I stick with my terraining and simple gui. It's easier to use for people like me.

Oh hey, system looks nice. And I'll be honored if I could help you terraining. xD
    But how nice that system might leak, I bet it was a pain in the * to make. I'm sure of that. xD

3. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think he was commenting on the fact that big advanced triggers can't be organized at all in GUI, and at the end, the only one who'll understand what the hell they do is whoever wrote them.

As to "learning a whole new language" - Jass is so hard to learn that it takes around... err... one day.

4. Silvenon

Silvenon

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow! It would be sweet if you release the system, I'm sure many people will use it :D (like me, for example).

EDIT: And yeah, JASS is effin easy, but vJass is even more easy.

5. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No flaming or anything, but I don't have the brains for Jass.
    I'm better with people then with math, coding etc at all.
    Just because you and others can learn it easy does not mean that everybody can learn it easy.

It's like everything in life, I understand fine that 2 + 2 = 4, but I've seen plenty of people going: WTF WHY over simple stuff like that. They are not dumb, it's just not for them.

Same thing for sports aswell, I'm a good fighter, but when playing soccer you'd better grab yourself some other team mate as I always miss the darn ball.

Not everybody can be good in something. That's life.

EDIT: If Jass is easy, then come and teach me. If you don't you have no rights to tell me it's easy as I tried learning it and never understood a thing in those tutorials.

6. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dude, that preview is completely sexy. It's awesome how you've got it looking!

I must admit, the fact that it's done in GUI and not in JASS is a bit of a letdown, though. But, if/when you decide to release it, I'd be happy to get hold of the GUI version and convert it to JASS, and then hand it back to you, for you to distribute... :thumbs_up:

7. Silvenon

Silvenon

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, it is a bit of a letdown, but it's quite impressive for GUI too :D

Be sure to convert it to vJass if you'll have the chance.

8. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Also keep it in GUI for those who don;t use jass and vjass.

9. Silvenon

Silvenon

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What we were trying to say is that systems are better as JASS, GUI systems are really hard to make, since it's hard to make templates. Even if there are some good GUI systems, they are either really simple (and this one is not) or they are hard to import.

No offense, I was like that when I was doing GUI, always running away from JASS, "I don't want to learn JASS, get it away from me" I used to say. Then I started to slowly move on JASS and then I never did GUI again.

It was really worth it, especially with the new extended JASS things are really easy, fun and efficient.

Besides, you work out your brain cells more.

10. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    GUI stuff is horribly difficult to modify or follow in general.

And that isn't an opinion.

11. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm just very odd then, I find GUI easier to modify or to folow then JASS. :p
    JASS always gives me a huge headache.
    To be more on topic, this is a very nice system but I don't think it would be useful in most rpg's except for his own. So actually publishing it isn't really that a big of a priority. :p

12. Silvenon

Silvenon

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But some ideas are quite nice to "steal", you don't have to import the whole system, just couple of genius ideas.

And you find GUI easier to follow than JASS because you don't know JASS. But if you did, you would figure out that following JASS is a lot easier then following GUI, no matter how much of an "expert" you are in GUI.

And that is a fact, like PurplePoot said.

If you still don't want to believe it, then just think about it. Isn't it possible that we JASSers, who know both GUI and JASS, know better about these things than a GUI user that doesn't know JASS?

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's hard to understand. I, personally, often get headaches from GUI, but that's because I know how bad it is. There's a difference.

I hope this didn't sound like flaming. Well, it probably did, but I wanted to strongly express my opinion on this subject.

13. Asgard_Ragna

Asgard_Ragna

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If he doesn't understand jass, its easier for him to follow GUI, thats a fact, nothing to complain about, whether jass is easier or not.

14. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You don't even need to know jass. If you can't modify something like this

Code (vJASS):

globals
        private constant real TIMER_INTERVAL = 0.03
        private constant boolean SHOW_MESSAGES = false
    endglobals

Then you have bigger problems.

Again, you don't need to know jass to modify the configurables.

15. Thyrael

Thyrael

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok, it's not completly done in GUI. I cleaned allready most of the leaks by using JASS in custom scripts. Some triggers use timer with recall function and I use a lot of local variables and so on. But setting up this in JASS won't be much easier than using GUI, cause there is a huge bunch of triggers needed. And I agree the, GUI makes it easier to find a specific function. In JASS you have to scroll through a huge part of the script etc. I will optimize it by using a combination of GUI and JASS.

And to the end it would be nice if you can stop that discussion about the advantages of JASS against GUI in this thread. I'm sure I'll ask about some things I need in JASS but not for now, cause I'm teaching it myself step by step.

Neverthless thanks for time you've spend reading this thread :)

Thy

16. Viikuna

Viikuna

Resources:
    Resources:
    The whole GUI and Jass debate is useless, because GUI so broken that you need Jass ( custom scripts ) to fix it.

With Jass you can do these things much more smoothly and vJass makes it all almost too easy.

Anyways, it does look cool. Nice work.

17. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To end the whole Jass vs Gui offtopic mess.

Oke, I can't understand what that code does, how to change it to make it still working and what ever. What problems do I have? None, except that I can't use it.

Well I don't really consider it Jass if it's just custom scripts. It's still written in GUI using actions conditions and events. I clean leaks to and use some other short scripts.

Now sure, Jass is better. But I can't use it. A airplane is better then a car. But if you don;t know how to make it work it's useless. Get it?
    I'm not learning jass because: I'M GOING TO STOP MAPMAKING IN WC3 ANYWAY, L4D MAP MAKING IS WHAT I DO NOW.
    So should I want to learn something I wont use? If I do make maps, they use gui and that's fine.

So now you know, and this offtopic talk can stop.

18. Silvenon

Silvenon

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You what he meant is (for example) if the interval is 0.03 and you need to change it to, lets say, 0.05, it's really easy to change. He meant that if you can't modify something like that then you have some bigger problems.

Custom script lines in GUI are JASS. I thought that was clear pretty much...?

But you can learn it. You can still learn the basics of an airplane, for example, you can learn how to start the engine, how to use the navigator etc.

That's fine, WE sucks anyways. I hate the fact that in WE you have to compensate everything that is missing, so sometimes it's down to avoiding bugs and extending lots of limitation.

Yeah, this can stop now. I hope moderators won't be mad.

19. Thyrael

Thyrael

Resources:
    Resources:
    At least my thread hit the 1000 viewings mark :)

20. Lord_BoNes

Lord_BoNes

Resources:
    Resources:
    LOL! :thumbs_up: