• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A pokemon campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey guys
I was on a plane the other day, so i cracked out my old gameboy (yes, thats right, gameboy edition 1, the thing took up my whole carry-on-luggage spave) and had a go at pokemon again. It is such a cool game. Enough complexity to require a little bit of tactics but not too challenging to deter players, a nice tied-off storyline which doesn't require a degree in anything to understand, a cool idea and cute little monsters.
So, i thought, why not a pokemon map for WC3? ATM i'm thinking a warcraft remake of the pokemon game, not a multiplayer map, but theres always the possibility.

So as i thought more and more and more i came across different problems. The first 'problem' was how to do the pokemon: obviously they must be heroes, but how to send them out to battles? do they run along beside you? are you allowed more than one out? I thought they should all be summoned heroes, along the lines of Misha where you can only have one out, so selecting one from your list of heroes would remove the other one. Then you'd need an item system to carry enough items.
Storing pokemon would be easy enough, with a crate carrying 6 variabled items which reference pokemon and typing (boxchange 2) or similar to change the box.
Trading would be controlled by a code system. So you'd put a pokemon in the trading booth, it would remove that pokemon permanently, and give you a code ie a lv14 pikachu would give a code like '025014043123' pikachu (#025) at level 014, from trainer number 043123.

The most difficult thing however would be the combat system. Should it be turn based (pokemon style, with each move having pp levels, set damage, controlled through dialogs) or real time (wc3 style, with cooldowns and mana costs, controlled via normal abilities). When you find pokemon, would they just randomly appear and attack, and go away after you've run away, or do they wander around like real creeps and follow you if you run?

Catching pokemon, what system would that work from, im guessing a probability to catch determined on the statis state, health percentage, ball type, level difference and a certain random factor, but what proportions?

anyone wanting to help/contribute ideas?
=][= Bort

Status
Not open for further replies.