Discussion in 'Map Development' started by sonofjay, Jan 5, 2013.
So hows it going?
I Think you watch The:Hobbit before you made it.
Yes I watch The Hobbit, but I'm more inspired of WotTH, which blizzmod hosted the models that we're able to retrieve. Its a shame to see those models go to waste so I decided to pull something out.
I made a huge progress on the map atm, I'm halfway done on finishing the new area (96*whatever unit warcraft 3 use for area*) that i added. Fishing system is stable and just need more object editor content, I added a run/walk system made by rulerofiron99, added a good number of equipments and also was able to retrieve some attachment models from the old underground adding 60+ possible equipment from the promised 200+ equipments making it a possible of 260+ weapon and shield equipment. Almost every planned system is stable but I'm still working on the crafting system(well I'm not planning to make a fancy one, just something simple and efficient will do.) then after I finish the terrain the only work that I need to do is object editor works and a little bit of jass shit to for the equipment(since i need to put every item data and their stats/spells on the equipment system code) and wait for my friend to finish those quest phrases and simple item descriptions.
After that I'm gonna start writing the lore for the 7 arc story which the background will be secret atm and when that is set and done we can now start making the main story.
Well sounds like a heavy work, but its really not since almost everything is simple and no complicated shit that can make the map buggy or anything.
Anyway, I'm currently working for OotF: Arena 1.5 update since I kinda promised that I'll have a update this sunday so progress will continue this Monday for Dwarfy.
This map is so very nice! Played it even its in its early state and I must say that this map is good. I prefer you to add more weapons and armors and BTW, why is there no Armors in shops just Weapons and shield... feels kinda weird but nice job on this one, +REP!
Oh and this is a Single player so size doesnt matter so I prefered you too add some high quality models for the terrain to make it more attractive but If your limiting yourself on the size, its ok.
Well its kinda hard to get a quality attachment for armor for the dwarf model i'm using so it will only be weapons, shields and accessories.
About the terrain, i'm not limiting myself on the filesize i'm just trying to keep the terrain neat and simple since its kinda more attractive if done properly.
Oh I see, you have a point there so you want it to be simple?
The name "Random Race or Hero" - Tale seems quite popular these days
Anyway, I like the idea. Though a little, not too long main storyline would be nice, you know, just like in Skyrim ^^
Want to suggest some more here because I am sure that this game will become even better with more ideas:
-You should add more quests because I have notice that the quests in this game mainly focuses on gathering Shimmerweeds and Thunderbulb... and others killing enemies. You should think of more items to gather other than those two.
-You should add a story to this game because I have noticed that there is no actual story to this. Only Optional quests...
-Add some Bosses here to fight that gives large sum of Gold... Well, if you still have some HQ models for cool weapons.. add more weapons and shields that are droppable ony for Bosses but if not make those Advanced Weapons in the shop droppable by Boss.
-I have noticed that there are Advance Weapons but shields? Where are the Advanced Shields? You should add Advanced Shield.
-You should add more skills for the Dwarfs hero your controlling and also skills for the Dwarfs hunting with you. Not just Blink skill.... and also is Blink really like that? Long Distance teleport?
Thats all for my suggestions! I wish some of it will be implemented mostly an actual story for this game.
I tested and really liked ,very cool
Sorry guys, I got no time to mod this last 2 weeks but well I was able to squeeze something today.
And here the demo is out.
Im intrested in working of the 'quest generator'. How can you 'generate' quests? Otherwise, the absence of a story is quite intriguing, and I like SRPG's, so good luck with this project!
Well, since there is no story, quick question - are there any questlines?
Wow! some new map with a great fall terrain. I'd like it to become an ORPG but SRPG is ok.. The dwarf model is awesome, whose model is that? Does it occur in the world of Warcraft? May it be successful =))
Just logging in to inform you guys that its still rolling and we made some solid progress with the little time we got to spare for this project. Unfortunately our moderators can't make a exception to approve the demo to the map section because as he stated it is unfair if our demo was approve but other demos are not. We understand and accepted it so I'm just gonna attach it on the main post later.
Anyway I already started expanding the map size to give room for the snowy area on the north that we called the 'Glace Region' screenshots of the terrain and the monsters/animals that inhabit the region will be posted below.
Concerning to what Drunken asked, yes there will be Quest Lines and I was able to pull a good one a few days ago. Quest includes interesting objective like solving riddles to find an area, puzzles etc. In short, quest line is not just your typical go there and kill this shit and you got a reward but instead we're offering quest lines with interesting objectives and a good backbone story which sounds simple at first but will become deeper as you continue it.
Also we felt that it is quite boring early on as for you to enjoy the game you have to farm golds to acquire good equipment but yet after that it still just a hack and slash game so we decided to add this 'Spell Stone' it just your typical item with abilities but we're making a backbone story for it so it will have a interesting background.
Anyway here are the screenshots that I promised.
Some In-game Images
We're still building a good history for this tribe, they look like human but we're planning to name them a different race with interesting history. As I stated, we still building its race history so for now we can only describe them 'a thick-skinned, human look alike that lives on the coldest region of the world'.
THE DEMO IS NOW ATTACHED ON THE FIRST POST! ENJOY!
Wow, even in a short time you've make an awesome progress.... I love the terrain of the new Village and also those units you have. +REP and keep it up!
Agree with HellMaster.. this is epic!
Thanks for the support, there are still a lot of laboring that needed to be done including the terrain, the hellish object editor work and setting the AIs and other trigger work. Writing quest line story, race history, event history, character history and other lore also takes a lot of time and our free time is just not enough.
But yet I still think that we're doing fine even with the slow progress.
The models look very HD!
Well I actually tested out the map, and heres what I have to say. These apply for the current state of the map and some suggestions for the future of the map:
- It fells a lot like a grind fest. I just go to the creep zones, kill some creeps then done to get gold in order to buy items such as weapons and armor, plus its even hard to kill them and I feel oblidged to kill them. Better if you gave the players a selection of default armor and weapons. Good turnaround is to award gold/experience/items upon discovery of a certain location for better immersion.
- For combat, its ok, but if I place my suggestions here, it would be too long. Basically, it would be cool for combat to be like TSoVE combat + dodging. Imagine the awesomeness.
- The Primary Stat shouldn't increase the damage, this would contradict your goal of having no classes, due to STR being the primary stat, when it increases damage, health and health regeneration, promoting tankyness. A suggestion is to remove stats all together and make it like LoL, where you have items which increase Health, Mana, etc. instead. Check IID for example.
- I appreciate the fact that everyone has names, but placing names on the hostile creeps just make it kinda worthless. Some names are like "1337", etc. I know that this is made to make them more powerful overtime, but just remove those silly names
- Selection circles of shops are huge. Tone them down.
- Fish units would make fishing a lot easier and detectable. Suggestion - make fishing a point target spell only targeted at water and use stats like "Fishing" to compute for chances to loot. Higher fishing means greater loot, which improves every time you loot something. Also, the fishes still have shadows, plus its better if you used the actual fish model for it.
- I actually dont like the rock tile you used, plus those trees which have a sort of withering effect look bad.
- The Naboo (I think thats whats its called) doodads look bad. Moria Doodads from the UTM look cooler and fit for a dwarf-esque world, or just those normal Concrete Doodads.
- I love the concept of other Dwarves adventuring. Good job there Also, cant wait when there would be actual AI Interactivity.
- Suggestion for loot - make them unique. Boss loot items should be only the items which you cannot gain or is hard to get via crafting/buying. I would appreciate also the armor and weapon count like that of Skyrim, which is quality over quantity. For creep items, it should be in relation to them. Its weird to see a wolf drop a potion, but its better for them to drop a potion ingredient.
- Suggestion for the quest - make it sort of a Dynamic Event. You wont go up to a person and ask for anything to do, but they ask your help. Example, a village is being raided by a group of bandits and a Courier runs up to you to ask for assistance, its your choice to either go in and help or let it be. After this, that gang of bandits would hate you more and maybe try to hunt you down, then you can eventually sack their headquarters to finish it off. Of course helping gives you certain perks from that village. Its sort of you wont ask anyone for anything, so its like the people go up to you instead of you going to them. Its like an unwritten quest system, but of course there should still be those traditional ones.
I might have played a different version, but meh.
Yeah, I know its still a big grind fest out there. Will try to implement your suggestions about discovering locations there are a lot of planned landmarks on the terrain anyway.
Actually applying the same combat system from TSoVE won't be that hard the problem is that the dwarf model lacks some animations. If we are to apply that system then the combo thingy with different kind of animations for different weapons won't available for this project. I'll talk to DBZ first concerning about this.
You're right at this. When I reached level 30+ I actually felt that it become a god vs noob game.
No worries I just rushed those names, it will be remove and will be replaced with proper names at some point of our progress.
Aye aye captain
This sounds really good, I have a formula in mind lets hope it works. The other minor things will be dealt later.
Rock tile? Where? About the trees, I'm gonna tone them down and add the new trees that I got that fit the winter theme.
Lets set the terrain aside for the moment, It still on heavy development. I'll also try to spare some time to take a look on the Moria models.
Get your hopes up here, we have a lot of interesting stuffs to show for the AI adventurers!
The current drop is just there for the demo. Its suppose to be like this on the later development. Wolf Drop = Pelt/Meat/Fangs that can be use for Crafting/Cooking/Quest Drops etc. I see what where you are going about the equipment but don't worry we already calculated the stats for a fine balance.
I don't want to spoil anything so I'll close my mouth here.
All I can say is that me and DbZ focus on writing interesting quest lines, events etc since we're really tired of RPG games with the usual hurray lets kill those madda fucker down stuffs then give me some money.
Separate names with a comma.