1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Compete in Concept Art Contest - Bounty Hunter . May the best artist's bounty hunter execute!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Modeling Mini-Contest #5 - Familiar is up! Compete to design a pet companion to a lonely WC3 Hero of your preference.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The present for our Christmas Mini-Texturing Contest finally arrived. Check out the results!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 6th installment of our Music Contest just got fired up! Now with an Apocalyptic taste. Get started and compete in this musical battle!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Looking to expand an altered melee race of yours? Join the Advanced Techtree Contest - Recycle, Revise, Reinvent contest!
    Dismiss Notice

[8MB Limit Removed Update] Warcraft 3 - Patch 1.27b

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Dec 13, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chusrubi2

chusrubi2
    Good day for w3 modders and custom Game players, bad day for melee and scene players.

2. Tharifas

Tharifas
    Mmm... has anybody checked if campaign cinematics are still broken with the new patch? And there was a unit group (in game, not WE) for some people, including me (I have to use shift+number instead of ctrl+number because it won't save the groups with the latter method, and there's a stutter each time I try to).

The 128mb map limit is great nes, though ^^

3. Tleno

Tleno
    Doom 1 Came out in 1993, almost a decade before WC3, and the modding community is still strong and standing proud sooo, what makes Warcraft 3 any worse? Your pessimism is unfounded.
    Just log into Battle.net for game to download it.

4. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser
    How?? I did not go on Battle.net never!

5. chusrubi2

chusrubi2
    The situation here is different. Here theres still a chance of having the melee scene alive again because the game itself is too good. You guys from modding dont seem to notice this.

6. Murlocologist

Murlocologist
    So, is SC2 the last big RTS? If SC2 modding was ever a thing Hive would probably have 3x current members and this update wouldn't cause hype we have in here. And I highlighted that because you can draw out a conclusion from both sc2 resources and official description of website that Hive made a mistake for not doing enough in transition to better version of word editor.

8 to 128 change limit is a drastic one. And this limit removal is a big invitation to modding scene to make the best they can with all the resources they need. Such maps on multiplayer will give Blizz the insight on how really popular wc3 still is. Fact is that mods keep dinosaur games alive while good mods bring back the activity. So, Hive should do everything possible in helping relevant projects to eventually and hopefully become great mods.

7. chusrubi2

chusrubi2
    If they dont fix the spamming issue, the hacckers and the game list limit, theres nothing to do here. Even with the best mods ever, the players numbers would be ridiculous.

8. RedCrusader

RedCrusader
    Absolutely agreed.

Sadly, it is too late now for Hive to adapt to SC2 modding.
    If Hive had tried to do so back in 2010, who knows...
    It is most annoying how many good opportunities have been ignored by Hive.

9. EdgeOfChaos

EdgeOfChaos
    That's not really fair. Hive did try to support sc2 modding. But the sc2 modding never had a community like wc3 did, and could never develop one. Honestly: sc2 mapping sucked. Popularity system killed any desire I had to map, and the editor was weird too. Also much less units, and no one made any custom models. SC2 mapping lacked the soul that WC3 mapping had. There's a reason I'm back in wc3 even though I bought sc2.

10. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

In order to adopt a scene properly, I have to adopt the scene myself. I didn't. I don't much have the time for that sort of thing unfortunately.

Anyway, yay for 1.27b. I am so excited! I need to upgrade the disks in the server, uh oh!

11. pyf

pyf
    From here:
    Patching Classic Games

The Doom / Doom2 modding community had the amazing DeHackEd tool and some others, all developed from *scratch*.
    Id Software has always been very supportive to its modding fan community.
    The Doom source code was released in 1997. This allowed for the development of *many* source ports.

Lastly, it is my personal guess, PC gaming enthusiasts of the 1980s and 1990s were also computer techs / geeks at heart. Remember, these were still the days of MS-DOS (if not of CP/M, but I was already too old for this one).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  12. RedCrusader

RedCrusader
    That is hardly an excuse.
    Others would have been able to adopt.

If you say you are unable to adopt due to the lack of time, no one but you is affected.
    HOWEVER, saying that the Website shall not be able to adopt
    if you are not, is the perfect sign that Hive is unable to be progressive
    as long as you are in charge.
    That has a strong affect on the website you love, Ralle.
    And this, Ralle, is dooming your dream of Hive being your life one day.

There, I have said it. Didn't want to but I did.

13. SpasMaster

SpasMaster
    Better technical =/= better overall.
    Every time I think of Galaxy Editor I want to puke at how shitty it is. Not in terms of "amount of things you can do + possibilities"; yes the possibilities are far greater there. Does that make it a better editor in the end of the day? You be the judge by asking yourself this question: When Starcraft 2 is ~14 years old, will it have the same amount of (passionate) modding fanbase as Warcraft does today?
    I am ready to bet it won't. To be quite honest with you, I don't think the Starcraft 2 modding base can even slightly compare to the Warcraft 3 one.
    And that's for many good reasons.

But in my books World Editor is a better editor than the Galaxy Editor... and it's one by a longshot.
    Whether an Editor is 'good' or not is not limited to the possibilities it offers. There is much more to it (*cough* user friendliness *cough*)
    The way I see it, 'adapting' to Starcraft 2 will be "regressive" rather than progressive. Starcraft 2 modding scene is barely existent and will be dead within few years. Mark my words: Warcraft will outlive it.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz
    Yeah. Thing is, StarCraft II doesn't even have a Custom Campaign option/section.
    Even Brood War got more attention to modding along the years...

15. MOS_19D4GB4PL

MOS_19D4GB4PL
    My dreams came true! :vw_love:

16. A Void

A Void

Map Reviewer

Anyway, still disappointing to see no widescreen support. I guess we will have to wait for months again until 1.27c ...

17. RedCrusader

RedCrusader
    If you think this is about StarCraft only, you're completely missing the point.

But do not worry, I'm done talking about this anyway.
    Wasted more than enough time talking about this site's "future" already.

18. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch
    never saw doom being in top-10 twitch games. just like heroes 3, thats cool game with many forkes, but barely catch 100+ players daily. u wish wc3 share the same fate?

19. Zenonoth

Zenonoth
    Does that mean that we can host files that are > 8mb on Battle.net now?

20. A Void

A Void

Map Reviewer

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.