• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(4)Fallen Esgaroth v1.3

(4)Fallen Esgaroth
Player Suggest: 2v2, 1v1, FFA
Tile set: Blackcitadel Town
Gameplay: Phantom Grove with smaller size - could be a bit narrow
Map Creator: Zucth

map:
187816-ca0447f827ca68ef35f4ffe06c250e95.png

Map Description:
An abandon town, build up above water in the middle of the ancient river. Esaroth was once a human town, sadly the fire burn up the whole place, the water was dry the ground turn hard.

Neutral Building:
16 Goldmines (All-12500)
1 Tavern
2 Goblin Merchant
2 Goblin Labs
2 Mercenary Camp
-outland
2 Marketplace

Creep Camp:
12 Green
16 Orange (+4 base)
0 Red

Information:
-low trees (due to the water town theme)
-a very small 2v2 maps
-outland merc
-map playable size: 108x108
-no red spot
-fast game
-mushroom trees

0.9 - upload to epicwars
1.0 upload to Hive
1.1 give more trees in the base and more space (main base and side base), critter bug had been fixed, see trough problem. what Mafe mention had all been fixed.
1.2 fix expo aggro from behind, see through the city has been fix, added some grass doodad, lab/shop accident aggro fix (+even more choke). +Visual sight
Previews
Contents

(4)Fallen Esgaroth v1.2 (Map)

Fallen Esgaroth v1.3 (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Ok, let's about the points from my previous review: 1. is fixed. 2. is fixed. 3. looks sufficiently improved. 4. still exists. Unfortunately I now noticed another (new?) bug: At the expansions you can be behind the buildings, but you can still move...
mafe
The issue of "accidentially aggroing the creeps at the mines" no longer exists. Therefore map approved. PS: Even though the minimap is often just an afterthought, I'd say this is one of the best-looking minimaps I've ever seen.
Level 15
Played this one with some friends in a FFA and it turned out really fun. The name of the game is resource management. Inefficient use of lumber will be a player's demise. In this sense I like the numerous chokes built into the map. The scarcity of lumber would initially make someone balk at the cost of building of defenses, but the benefits such defenses gain due to the narrow passages grants them the additional value to be considered viable from a cost - benefit perspective.

I have also always been a fan of players competing to grab their hero of choice from the tavern, having only one is a breath of fresh air in my own opinion.

Regarding the visuals of the map, the blending of the terrain tiles is satisfactory, though I would like the sand to appear a little bit more 'moundy' as it looks a little on the flatter side, but that is just my own preference.

I also usually find that the lowering of cliff tiles below the water line is ugly, but here the player is given the aesthetic of a sinking city and I find that it actually works quite nicely.

The only visual element that I found that I did not enjoy was the waterfall dropped atop shipwrecks, as it felt flagrantly different to the beauty and care invested in the rest of the terrain:

Capture.PNG

Yet this waterfall was a small detail and really pales in the face of the fun fast paced gameplay that my friends and I enjoyed. This was a very fun map!

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Ok, once again a lot of the usual feedback for you maps applies once again. I appreciated you managed to come up with yet another completely unique look. I've never played minecraft myself but for some reason the sharp edges and "blocks" near the shops remind me of it. At first I thought the map looked lazy, with barely any doodads except near the borders of the map, which creates a somewhat sterile look. But looking at it for a while, it nevertheless works in creating a "minimalistic" style, in a positive meaning.

Regarding gameplay, most of the stuff is fine. I currently see 4 issues/bugs:
1. All creeps at the central mines are on camp stance, at least one fo them should not be.
2. Units bought the western lab can become stuck on the left of the lab if very unlucky.
3. Creeps at shops can aggro by accident, but in a real game it's unlikely to happen though.
4. It's good to have pathing blockers stacked with the buildings near the expansions, but from a few angles it is still possible to see through the buildings.

So 1 and 2 can be easily fixed. 3 and 4 are no must, but recommended. Map set to Awaiting Update.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Ok, let's about the points from my previous review:
1. is fixed.
2. is fixed.
3. looks sufficiently improved.
4. still exists.

Unfortunately I now noticed another (new?) bug: At the expansions you can be behind the buildings, but you can still move too close the non-camp-stance creep which will make the whole camp aggro. This could be easily abused to pull the creeps and easily creep the expansion. Imho this should be fixed, maybe by something a simple as adding a few more buildings in the relevant locations.

Until then, map set to Awaiting Update.