• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bandit Mage

Entry for the 32nd Model contest.

The model uses combined animations(catapult+Jaina+packhorse). Could be used as a necromancer too.

Give credits if you use this model and enjoy!
Previews
Contents

Bandit Mage (Model)

Missile (Model)

Portrait (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
An interesting model with good use of textures and tweaked animations. Works in-game and performs well. Good job.
Level 13
So, my review:
the mesh looks busy, especially the little details on the mage.
Animations:
Attack 2 and 3 when put in contrast with Attack 1 are lacking dynamic and motion, especially Attack 2 with the staff weirdly going out of hand, and the general motion being barely noticeable (Attack should look like an Attack)
I don't understand why would he throw his staff away (not a complaint, but the idea misses me)
I think Spell slam should again, be more dynamic and have particles.

The portrait and the face, even though using Archmage anims, look good.

3/5 for now, the most lacking part is animations, but I'm sure you will improve! :D

Level 51
The concept in itself is great! And the execution looks awesome too! The attack animations could have used a bit more love, but other than that its fine.

The thing limiting it is the wc3 engine in general. As the model is so long, it walking and turning around ingame looks weird. It's not as huge as a deal as I expected, but its still there.

Perhaps shortening the cart would have helped here. Also: I think you forgot to create footprints for the horse.

Level 4
Well this is a fine yet rare concept I've seen, I can rarely see people make fine carriages with horse and man like these

Level 50
The concept in itself is great! And the execution looks awesome too! The attack animations could have used a bit more love, but other than that its fine.

The thing limiting it is the wc3 engine in general. As the model is so long, it walking and turning around ingame looks weird. It's not as huge as a deal as I expected, but its still there.

Perhaps shortening the cart would have helped here. Also: I think you forgot to create footprints for the horse.
Yeah, I agree, though I left it like that because ahor cart would look weird, maybe I could've just made it like a chariot, it would look better, but again it would not fit the bandit theme.
I was having problems with the footprints, they are there if you open the model in matrix eater, but don't know why they don't appear in game...I'll have to take a look at it again today since it's the last day..

Edit: Hopefully, the footprints have been fixed now.

Last edited:
Level 9
Setting Movement Prop Window to 360 and Turn Rate to something low like 0.03 prevents units from turning on the spot (hold shift before editing the fields). Sharp turns can also be avoided this way. Maybe that helps.

Attachments

• Movement_Turn_Test_Race_Car_Flyer_Patrol.w3x
    159.3 KB · Views: 129
Level 7
Now all you need is an arcane mage standing on a metal board with two magic wagon wheels spinning beneath! Ideas aside, lovely concept. Now comes criticism!

A bit too much is happening in the model, such as the horse attacking when the mage attacks or staff being thrown as mentioned prior. These things are easily fixed - but I doubt anything can be done about the turn physics, your model would truly shine if there was some jass code to properly fix it.

Overall, a good attempt and a great job regardless of the model's flaws. Wagon/Cart models are quite rare, so it's nice to see someone actually trying to make them.

Rating: ★★★★✩