• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Picaroons

Competetive 1vs1 map entry for the
Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest

by Neicky

A former settlement now home to vicious buccaneers!

2x Goblin Merchants
1x Tavern
2x Goblin Shipyards
6x Goldmines (2x 12500 / 2x 8000 / 2x 11500)

2x green level 4 camp (Level 1 Permanent)
2x green level 4 camp (Level 1 Power up)
2x green level 8 camp (Level 1 Permanent / Level 1 Power up)
2x green level 9 camp (Level 2 Charged)

2x orange level 11 camp (Level 1 Permanent / Level 1 Power up)
2x orange level 11 camp (Level 2 Permanent)
2x orange level 12 camp (Level 2 Charged)
2x orange level 14 camp (Level 3 Charged / Level 1 Power up)
2x orange level 14 camp (Level 3 Permanent / 1 Rune of the Watcher)
2x orange level 18 camp (Level 4 Charged)

2x red level 24 camp (level 5 Permanent / Level 2 Power up)
2x red level 24 camp (level 4 Charged / Level 2 Power up)
2x red level 25 camp (level 6 Permanent / Level 2 Power up)
Contents

Picaroons (Map)

Reviews
Nudl9
#1 Layout seems decent. Reminds me of other maps. #2 Remove boats, generally disliked feature. Replace laboratory or add a small path for a hero to sneak in and harass. Just don't use boats. #3 The map has pretty wide paths, this is good. Just add a...
mafe
So, we had already talked about this map on discord some time ago, and dont really have much to complain about anything map specific. It's more in general: -It's another Lordaeron Summer map, which is both an upside (no bad creeps, looks will not...
Level 24
#1 Layout seems decent. Reminds me of other maps.
#2 Remove boats, generally disliked feature. Replace laboratory or add a small path for a hero to sneak in and harass. Just don't use boats.
#3 The map has pretty wide paths, this is good. Just add a few chokepoints for strategic play.
#4 Raise terrain height more, add some humps and bumps. It makes the map look more organic.
#5 Good variation of terrain textures
#6 Creeps look fine.
#7 Shop camp is not closed off and players will draw aggro when running past towards red goldmine.
#8 Too many trappers. I like trappers, but 3 is 1 too many in a camp. Im talking about shop camp here.
#9 Same with triple trapper camp, replace 1 trapper with ogre 3.
#10 Islands lack texture and trees.
#11 Not sure what i feel about islands. I think you should have access to them through lab.
#12 Crazy idea here, but if you insist on using boats, put them on the shallow water near base.
#13 If you establish a tower island it will be impossible to stop.
#14 Doesn't feel like theres a whole lot to do in the center.
#15 Both land expansions would be more exciting if they were both orange camps. Your opponent would have to guess where you would expand of the two places.
#16 I feel like you could use space more efficiently. For example with the two tall cliffs in center.

Level 4
#1 Layout seems decent. Reminds me of other maps.
#2 Remove boats, generally disliked feature. Replace laboratory or add a small path for a hero to sneak in and harass. Just don't use boats.
#3 The map has pretty wide paths, this is good. Just add a few chokepoints for strategic play.
#4 Raise terrain height more, add some humps and bumps. It makes the map look more organic.
#5 Good variation of terrain textures
#6 Creeps look fine.
#7 Shop camp is not closed off and players will draw aggro when running past towards red goldmine.
#8 Too many trappers. I like trappers, but 3 is 1 too many in a camp. Im talking about shop camp here.
#9 Same with triple trapper camp, replace 1 trapper with ogre 3.
#10 Islands lack texture and trees.
#11 Not sure what i feel about islands. I think you should have access to them through lab.
#12 Crazy idea here, but if you insist on using boats, put them on the shallow water near base.
#13 If you establish a tower island it will be impossible to stop.
#14 Doesn't feel like theres a whole lot to do in the center.
#15 Both land expansions would be more exciting if they were both orange camps. Your opponent would have to guess where you would expand of the two places.
#16 I feel like you could use space more efficiently. For example with the two tall cliffs in center.

#1 thanks! Its alot like AI ^^
#2 not gonna do this, will be the main feature :D
#3 did add props and created some chokepoints
#4 did some more raising, hope its enough now, since i already have alot of hills (not really high, but i hate to missclick ingame because of this, so i dont want to raise too many hills)
#5 thanks!
#6 thanks! (there was an error where creeps dropped any random item xD)
#7 edited the shop to be more in the woods and therefore they dont get triggered anymore when u pass by
#8 edited the creeps like u suggested, very good idea
#9 also done!
#10 add textures n stuff
#11 as i stated in #1 - its main feature, not gonna happen :D
#12 i removed all the ships and placed them in a visible place near the costs
#13 mines on islands have less gold. u cannot lame on my map successfully :D
#14 added another green camp (spiders, with perma level 1 item drop)
#15 nice idea, but i think the contested mine is well needed
#16 i love my mountains :D added some props n stuff, so it should make up for that :p

Level 6
I've noticed some weird shadows. They need to be recalculated.
Would like some screenshots in map description as well!

I'd suggest removing just a few trees from the backdoor shores, so you can put a building there for vision at a nice angle.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So, we had already talked about this map on discord some time ago, and dont really have much to complain about anything map specific.
It's more in general:
-It's another Lordaeron Summer map, which is both an upside (no bad creeps, looks will not alienate people) and a downside to me (we've had plenty of those of the course of wc3 existence).
-Boats are indeed not a popular featuer irrespective of the map. But this map is offering a good alternative use of boats with the backdoor entrance of the map. Still, a boat in the north cannot reach the island in the south and vice versa. Still I think it's rather unlikely that boats will be a big factor before the late-lategame.

More map specific:
-The highground plateau in the middle kinda blocks direct movement from the eastern parts of the map towards western ones. My guess is that this could make it less likely for player to meet and fight in the midgame.
-The tavern is currently closer to the red spawn position than to the blue spawn.

What I like:
-Creeps and items are well balanced.
-Multiple and fair expansion options.
-Good choice of divers creeping options right from the start, in particular for AoW- and militia-creeping. Scouting might be very important here.

There are no real "easy-to-fix" issues here (except the tavern, and I believe you will change that). It's just a question if you like the layout and size of the map. It's probably a better map than several of those that were on ladder over the course of wc3 history, but probably a step behind the current map pool.
Map approved.

Level 4
Well boats got reworked since 1.32.6 so they are fine now.

I feel like camps are not balanced.

Usually the outer camps are easy (near your base) and as you go to the center its very hard (a dragon or a lvl 10 creep).

As you go in the center here you see spider camp and some trolls which you can take out very easily with like 5-6 footman.

Maybe have an ultra hard camp in center and force player to use sidepaths to attack until like tier 2-3?

I also think more doodads, weather and texture would make the map much better looking.