• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Murder

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A merge of Finger of Death + Critical Strike turned out to be perfect. All credits to Blizzard.

tags: blizzard, murder, kill, sword, skull, blood, gore, red, cleave, slash, crit, strike, execute, behead, decapacitate, melee, physical
Previews
Contents

Murder (Icon)

Yes I know and I've looked at other blizzard & blizzard-edit icons. One of which was a recolor of a default wc3 icon and it was approved due to usefulness but set to substandard just this August.

Your comment on the rules isn't needed because it isn't up to you whether the icon is good enough.

Besides, the combination of the two icons produces something new and looks badass. I don't care if this is a 5/5 or 1/5 because any amount of people are going to like it and would want to use it. I think that amount of people will be pretty decent with how well it turned out and that it can be used in many situations; any melee passive or as a melee ability. It has 9 downloads on the day 1 so people are definitely finding it useful. On top of that, I searched for existing icons that would be similar and did not find any.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ok, I can see it now: it appears you rotated the skull, painted it with blood (?) (Semi-randomly), and then sharpened the image somehow? That explains why it was hard for me to make out.

Still, very creative & cool. I might suggest lightening up on the blood on the skull, and de-sharpening it, personally. Maybe consider adding a lower jaw as Saken seems to have seen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171223-031542.png
    Screenshot_20171223-031542.png
    666.3 KB · Views: 89
Yes I know and I've looked at other blizzard & blizzard-edit icons. One of which was a recolor of a default wc3 icon and it was approved due to usefulness but set to substandard just this August.

Your comment on the rules isn't needed because it isn't up to you whether the icon is good enough.

Besides, the combination of the two icons produces something new and looks badass. I don't care if this is a 5/5 or 1/5 because any amount of people are going to like it and would want to use it. I think that amount of people will be pretty decent with how well it turned out and that it can be used in many situations; any melee passive or as a melee ability. It has 9 downloads on the day 1 so people are definitely finding it useful. On top of that, I searched for existing icons that would be similar and did not find any.

Lol you know some icons are more than 100 downloads a day ? Go here to post this type of resource. I myself experimented to post my simple resources on icons section, but people judged that too simple... and we can find some alternative of your icons, but free-hand. More: It taken me few seconds to recreate your icon from BTNCriticalStrike and BTNCorpseExplode:

BTNMurder.png

I never claimed that I put in a lot of work into the icon or cared to. The point isn't that it's hard to do. It's that no one thought of, and created, and posted this combination on hive before.

Anyone can recolor an icon or add glowing effects to enhance the existing. This is and isn't a simple edit because not everyone can instantly know that these two icons work well in a merge without having seen it before. The result is something more than an enhancement to either of the 2 icons alone and makes it something new from both.

I'm done talking to you and will not respond further because it just looks like you want me to fail for some reason even though its still not your place to officially judge icons. For every criticism you've mentioned, and even every pro I mentioned, the hive staff in charge of icons would already know to consider.

I'm not looking for anything other than substandard as long as people can use it.

Last edited:
Level 12
Lol you know some icons are more than 100 downloads a day ? Go here to post this type of resource. I myself experimented to post my simple resources on icons section, but people judged that too simple... and we can find some alternative of your icons, but free-hand. More: It taken me few seconds to recreate your icon from BTNCriticalStrike and BTNCorpseExplode:

View attachment 287667

How to be a Prick 101:

1.) Downplay the effort someone put into creating something fresh and different
2.) Compare download count for a new resource when your own resources lack downloads
3.) Copy someone else and say it took a mere few seconds
4.) ???
5.) Profit :cool:

How to be a Prick 101:
3.) Copy someone else and say it took a mere few seconds

I didn't copied anything I just taken the BTNCorpseExplode, the BTNCriticalStrike and I selected "Incrustation" option in Photoshop...

I want to say it is better to create a thread in the forum for post more of this type of resources (create thread, example: "00110000's usefuls icons") because moderators will not appreciate if you post a lot of simple icons often in the icon section. And people never go in Substandard section to search icons, so create a thread and link the thread in your signature.

It's admittedly funny to see that a modding site doesn't allow simple edits in its resource section, because the essence of modding is changing things to make new things, and pasting two icons is doing just that. The only reason the rules are such as they are is because things that are easy to create quickly, and anyone can create them, would flood the resource section if it were allowed. It has nothing to do with merit, morals, or whatever, it is just not practical to allow every single simple edit in a resource section that's supposed to be searched through, and recolors and easy combinations like this are things that are easy to make.

Despite that, I still think that well-thought out recolors and combinations should be accepted, merely because most people wouldn't get the idea to make them, and when they see them, they might go "oh, right".

Also, I can guarantee that recolors and edits like these are way more fitting in wc3 than any freehand icon.

Level 50
Icon section is not a giant wall of 64 pixel images with purpose of being picked up to be used by map makers. The purpose is interaction among members of community through encouraging different styles, works, drawings, commenting, giving criticism and most importantly improving by doing something very positive.

Creativity, skill, effort, quality of work, willingness to consider constructive criticism are the qualities we value the most. Standards exist.
If our main criteria for reviewing uploaded icons was their usefulness, in narrow minded context of how well they will fit with existing icons, we would be allowing only one style, the effort put in making icon would be irrelevant, recoloring would be encouraged over drawing, skill would be irrelevant, reviewing and constructive criticism would be irrelevant as well. Usefulness is a trivial category, one which will not be the reason for approval or disapproval of icon. Requests forum is the place for authors who want to post simple made resources which they find to be useful.

Off topic conversation ends with this.

This particular icon, I didn't have problem in understanding the illustration. Well, the teeth may be problematic for some to read, probably defining them more from the rest would help. The icon is gravitating towards upper corner, for more balanced composition white color could be introduced to blade.

For icons made by recoloring and similar, we have substandard category. Those who wish to contribute a larger number of recolors to website, Requests forum is the place.