• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Back in Farlass V1.25

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Supernickman 32

A Multiplayer Campaign/RPG style map.

TL:DR - Pick a hero and unit bonuses, run off and grow your empire, ultimately defeat the npc factions and all other players to achieve world dominance.

The Map

The Players choose one out of various heros and heads of into the countryside. Creeps will be farmed, Villages be raised and at some point Cities plundered. Buildings are not build but only taken over and upgraded (Risk element). A versatile techtree gives access to general and specific tech depending on the bonuses you have chosen.

As the game continues and the battle between the npc factions rages the Undead may eventually gain the upper hand. As many cities are somewhat connected and the melee AI is still in place this will lead to a purge of the whole countryside. Player Villages will be destroyed same as npc cities. The player can step in and fight alongside the Kingdom of Farlass or even decide to turn against them.
After all only one ruler can emerge from the conflict.

Features, Information and Tipps

- The map is large, you can always try to escape the burden of early pvp focused players and start over somewhere else.
- The question is not "if" turning against Farlass, but "when".
- Just because set of units is more expensive in ressources and food, that doesnt mean its the best choice for what you are trying to achieve.
- you cannot terminate players as they will always have chance to revive their heros somewhere. so watch out how many enemies you make.

KpuApcF.jpg
TlvpyUa.jpg

2gbFcQA.jpg

5zMlnoU.jpg

JtMNuIK.jpg

<1.12 Update:

- Siege equipment (ballista and bombard)
- Cannon tower in addition to the watchtower so 2 to choose from now
- Tavern as a new source of income building. Works different from other buildings concerning income <-- gave the standard houses a new ability to support this.
- changed hero abilities a little so you got more to skill but nothing big yet.
- changed the trigger for the tribal buildings so they change instantly and dont shoot you any longer.
- added a HELP TUTORIAL that picks up on where the fight goes on and what to do (e.g. foundation vouchers)

1.13 Update

- fixed some side stuff & balancing
- Building Vouchers to take over Farlass Buildings peacefully, only works when on friendly terms.
- put some more foundations onto the map

1.14 Update

- Some new special units avaiable over the map.
- techtree expansion
- some landscape changes
- planting beautiful flowers

1.17 Update

- complete rework of the bonus system
- new heroes and also undead heroes with specific buildings and units
- 4 new bonus buildings for the living. 1 to choose from through the bonus system.
- npcs now rebuild structures via triggers.

1.19 Update

- more Goldmines
- started working/balancing special event triggers

1.22 Update

- Started fighting microlags
- the *$%# is wrong with that damned armor icon?

1.25 Update

-fixed the green armor icons
-removed 170 leaks and with that worked through most of the reoccuring triggers. ~340 leaks remain. 70% of which are stuff like "pick a hero" though.

>

- fixing the upgrades for autocast spell (heal & arrow) ~ still no idea whats wrong here
- removing more leaks when i feel like it again -.-'
- figuring out why the Hell the map doesnt load for Rufus
- planting flowers & Rainbows
- considering to bring in a possible faction change ingame to something like Naga or Nightelves
- unique location units

<Credits go to:

Mike
Wandering Soul
Frankster
Kitabatake
eubz
Mr. Bob
Tranquil

Units:
Swordmaster - Bloodelf Warrior by Frankster
Crossbow/Sharpshooter - CrosswbowFootman by Wandering Soul
Rifleman - Rifleman by Kitabatake
Halberdier - Halberdier by Wandering Soul
Pikeman - Pikeman by Wandering Soul
Villager Archer - Armored_VillagerMan_Archer by eubz
Bombard - Bombard by Mike
Ballista - Arcaballista by Mike

Buildings:
Castles: All types castle by Mike
Camp: Camp by Mr.Bob
Main Town Walls/Gates Tower: Castle "..." by Tranquil
Farms: Farms by Mike
Taverns: Tavern by Mike
Houses: Houses by Mike
Sawmill: Lumbermills by Mike
Smith: Blacksmith by Mike

Special thanks for ideas and critique go to:

"Wardrom"

>

<Commands:

-ally "colour" (doesnt work when in combat with "colour")
-cam01
-help

>

Please report any bugs or obvious mistakes you find :)

All feedback welcomed,

Barrni
Contents

Back in Farlass V1.25 (Map)

Reviews
Next Review: [2016-05-8] Rufus Moderation Note What you need to do: The first snippet of text needs to be changed. It is a small thing, but needs to pointed out and changed in order to keep the hive clean. just replace "fuck" with "defeat" or...

M

Next Review: [2016-05-8]
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
What you need to do:
The first snippet of text needs to be changed. It is a small thing, but needs to pointed out and changed in order to keep the hive clean. just replace "fuck" with "defeat" or something.

The lag is not entirely gone in the beginning wich is acceptable, as maps of this type can use some loading time. However, it still got lag spikes with even intervals. It seems like some trigger is taking a lot of power to run. You should fix this somehow.
There was still at least one green icon, the Ultimate of ambitious soldier.

The heroes had basic abilities in general that doesn't really offer anything new.
More custom abilities would be nice, and put n nice kits so that each hero feels unique. Also, I picked the quickblade that had the blademaster icon, although, I got a unit that had nothing to do with either blademaster or quickblade: a mage.

I wasn't enchanted by the gameplay as it was hard to understand and get into, while not giving very detailed insctructions on how to play it. The terrain is still good-looking, but there are still mroe things that could be improved.

Confusing tutorial. I wasn't wiser after going through it. You could structure it in points so it would be easier to read.

Remove at least the lag and the green icons, and this map can be approved with no rating.
For now, status is set to awaiting update.

[2016-04-11]
You have still not removed the lag in beginning of the map.
If this is not fixed by the next time you upload the map, I will reject it. :(

13:42, 8th Apr 2016
Rufus:
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
Note:
Something is causing a massive lag upon starting the game. My friend and I tried waiting for a few minutes to see if it fixed itself, but it didn't.

This needs to be fixed, as we couldn't get a look at the game.
Also, Ardenian stated before that your description needs update.
You seem to have updated it since he said that, but the credits and command section still look messy.

Status set to Awaiting Update.

15:52, 5th Mar 2016
Ardenian: Please improve your map description.
Look for example on other map descriptions, of approved maps.
Please also include the credits into your map description.

Level 26
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
Note:
Something is causing a massive lag upon starting the game. My friend and I tried waiting for a few minutes to see if it fixed itself, but it didn't.

This needs to be fixed, as we couldn't get a look at the game.
Also, Ardenian stated before that your description needs update.
You seem to have updated it since he said that, but the credits and command section still look messy.

Status set to Awaiting Update.

Level 3
im working on it atm. they thing is i have no idea what the issue is as i have never experienced such. maybe it has to do with that specific version. i have updated the text a little now. better ? been working on version 1.20 and will upload it now.

if the matter still exists could you please be a bit more specific what exactly goes wrong ?

Reactions: San
Level 26
I would love to be more specific, but I can't as I can't even move my camera around.
I'm frozen with lag, and If I press a button it doesn't react until 10 seconds later.

It is mainly repeating triggers that cause this kind of lag, so check your triggers for functions that repeat a lot, and see if there is something wrong.
You should also ask in the Hives forums for solutions, as there are geniuses there that probably can help you right away.

Level 3
there is an issue that when the income strikes every 60s it lags for a moment because there are so many units to pick. its like a second or even less. I didnt find a way to avoid this at this point though :( any ideas welcome.

for the armor icons "green squares" i have realised that as well and honestly i dont know how that happened and i could need some help or explaining on why this is the case or how it happens :/

Level 3
I would love to be more specific, but I can't as I can't even move my camera around.
I'm frozen with lag, and If I press a button it doesn't react until 10 seconds later.

It is mainly repeating triggers that cause this kind of lag, so check your triggers for functions that repeat a lot, and see if there is something wrong.
You should also ask in the Hives forums for solutions, as there are geniuses there that probably can help you right away.

Ill go through everything again, no idea whats causing the issues you are experiencing though. The map is quite heavy on ressource consumption though as there are just so many units and buildings moving around... dont know but maybe if your machine is a little older that might be an issue ? I dont mean to offend :/

I dont have more time today or the next couple. Friday again i guess. if i dont find anything by then ill reach out to the forums.

So far all effort in trying very much appreciated :)

Level 26
dont know but maybe if your machine is a little older that might be an issue ? I dont mean to offend :/

Don't worry, you are not. :)
My computer is not old, but it is not very good. The problem still remain though, as all other approved maps I have been playing (on this same computer) does not cause lag.
I dont have more time today or the next couple. Friday again i guess. if i dont find anything by then ill reach out to the forums.
Good call. No rush! :)
So far all effort in trying very much appreciated :)
Thank you for saying this!
Not many people make me feel appreciated in this position.
They rather see me as someone that tries to ruin their map, than someone who just wants to help improve peoples projects... :/

San

San

Level 32
for the armor icons "green squares" i have realised that as well and honestly i dont know how that happened and i could need some help or explaining on why this is the case or how it happens :/

it seems like u tend to use custom icon for the armors as your map's game interface stated : ''BTNINV_Chest_Leather_10.blp''
but in your import manager,i dont see any custom icon imported
sorry i opened your map without permission

Level 3
Thank you for saying this!
Not many people make me feel appreciated in this position.
They rather see me as someone that tries to ruin their map, than someone who just wants to help improve peoples projects... :/

I totally see the point in what you are doing and appreciate it. It generates community content and ensures quality work, not half finished trash.

So for every mistake problem or bug that i make and that i pointed out for me. i appreciate it.

it seems like u tend to use custom icon for the armors as your map's game interface stated : ''BTNINV_Chest_Leather_10.blp''
but in your import manager,i dont see any custom icon imported
sorry i opened your map without permission

completely fine i left it unprotected on purpose. this is a work in progress and my thought was that if people want to help i wont put locks in front of doors that are supposed to be open.

if you want to give a look at the techtree maybe you find something i got the wrong way there. I used the human melee armor and dmg upgrade for almost all units, also some undead. maybe thats the reason ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
Check this out.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/apps.php?p=leaktester

Leaks cause lag. Upload your map here and you can see all the leaks your map have.
Your map had a lot of them, 471. All of those doesn't cause lag, only the frequently repeating ones. Although, since there are a lot of them, together they might cause the lag. Look ver your triggers and try to find the issue.

I opened your map in the editor, free of lag, and must say that the terrain was quite beautiful. Often, 256x256 maps doesn't really look good as they have to leave a few areas barren of doodads in order to not hit the cap. You did a great job here, decorating with a low amount of doodads in each place, yet not making it look barren or boring.
Great job!

Anyway, the lag still needs fixing.
map status is set back to Awaiting Update.

Level 3
i started googling on how to remove memory leaks and i believ ei found a good headstart. it will obviously take me a while but ill try to remove most of the leaks. Maybe that even caused the lags for you ? we shall see.

Thanks for the comment on the landscape. im kind of happy with it but i guess i will even more details when i feel like it. its okay the way it is but there is still alot that can be improved.

Level 3
Check this out.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/apps.php?p=leaktester

Leaks cause lag. Upload your map here and you can see all the leaks your map have.
Your map had a lot of them, 471. All of those doesn't cause lag, only the frequently repeating ones. Although, since there are a lot of them, together they might cause the lag. Look ver your triggers and try to find the issue.

I opened your map in the editor, free of lag, and must say that the terrain was quite beautiful. Often, 256x256 maps doesn't really look good as they have to leave a few areas barren of doodads in order to not hit the cap. You did a great job here, decorating with a low amount of doodads in each place, yet not making it look barren or boring.
Great job!

Anyway, the lag still needs fixing.
map status is set back to Awaiting Update.

Updated and added a "to do List" I guess from what the link you gave me says the map is still almost as leaky as the titanic but i did what i could on stuff like creepcamps and factionunitspawns.

I still have no idea whats causing your main problem though :(

Just tested the map, here's my review
1- Terrain is nice but could be better, mediocre I must say.
2- Not so many custom spells
3- Too many units in your map have hindered most players' ability to control it
4- Lack of shops, fountains

Overall, I'll rate this map 4/5, vote for approval, will change my rating if necessary changes are applied, you can also inform me if you don't like my rating and if you want me to remove my comment/rating from your map.

Level 3
Still a small amount of lag, but now it is bearable. I'll review this soon! :)

the fight against leaks will go on :) its just that i am like 100% busy in Eve Online atm. Internet Spaceships resposibilities.

Just tested the map, here's my review
1- Terrain is nice but could be better, mediocre I must say.
2- Not so many custom spells
3- Too many units in your map have hindered most players' ability to control it
4- Lack of shops, fountains

Overall, I'll rate this map 4/5, vote for approval, will change my rating if necessary changes are applied, you can also inform me if you don't like my rating and if you want me to remove my comment/rating from your map.

i accept any rating that i get my it be positive, negative or in your case mixed. You have your views and i have mine and yet i try to listen and improve. My knowledge is basic but i try to make the best of it. the basic map works as far as i can say which is my main goal. planting flowers and spending more time on custom abilities is something i want to do but its not a top priority.

thank you for your review. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
What you need to do:
The first snippet of text needs to be changed. It is a small thing, but needs to pointed out and changed in order to keep the hive clean. just replace "fuck" with "defeat" or something.

THe lag is not entirely gone in the beginning wich is acceptable, as maps of this type can use some loading time. However, it still got lag spikes with even intervals. It seems like some trigger is taking a lot of power to run. You should fix this somehow.

The heroes had basic abilities in general that doesn't really offer anything new.
More custom abilities would be nice, and put n nice kits so that each hero feels unique. Also, I picked the quickblade that had the blademaster icon, although, I got a unit that had nothing to do with either blademaster or quickblade: a mage.

I wasn't enchanted by the gameplay as it was hard to understand and get into, while not giving very detailed insctructions on how to play it. The terrain is still good-looking, but there are still mroe things that could be improved.

Confusing tutorial. I wasn't wiser after going through it. You could structure it in points so it would be easier to read.

Remove at least the lag and the green icons, and this map can be approved with no rating.

Level 3
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
What you need to do:

THe lag is not entirely gone in the beginning wich is acceptable, as maps of this type can use some loading time. However, it still got lag spikes with even intervals. It seems like some trigger is taking a lot of power to run. You should fix this somehow.

I have very little time at the moment so i guess it will take me a while. I will go through all the points you mentioned, see what i can do.

Thanks for the effort. I'll try to make up for it.

EDIT: There goes the snippet.