• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ruins of Dalaran

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
-GGoblin present-

Ruins of Dalaran
Created by GGoblin

Map Info:

On the map is:
4 Goldmines x4 12500.
1 mercenary camp
2 shops goblin
1 tavern
1 Goblin Workshop

Features: 2 players
10 orange creep camps
6 green creep camps

All map Screenshot

1POf8.jpg

OEJ5f.jpg

NhzPo.jpg

Change Log:
Version 1.0
-The map is now more realistic
-Add a place to murloc camps
-Add more decorations
-Add more screenshots
Version 1.1
-Removed Extra lights
-Improved landscape

Author's notes:

Hello everyone :) I recently remembered WORLD Editor and decided to pursue the creation of maps. I hope your enjoy.

Map is free to use.

Keywords:
Melee, Warcraft 3, melee map, melee for 4 players, 2x2 maps, GGoblin maps, Warcraft 3 classic, Ruins of Dalaran
Contents

Ruins of Dalaran (Map)

Reviews
08:55, 19th Aug 2014 Orcnet: My comment

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

There are so many things that can be done here, because it feels kinda empty in some areas, but it's not bad. Keep improving it.

Level 16
Good effort, not too bad, i'd vote for approval though you can still make some improvements. Here are some suggestions:

Creeps use random level x item, try use random level x perma/consume/charged instead, so you won't get too many duplicates and you can make a more consistent creep route. Other than that creep drops are fine. You might wna make the merc camp a level 3 item though and the kobold camps level 4.

I suggest using some other trees instead of those cityscape, or make the map more inhabited humanoidish. At leats do this for the player bases. Also maybe add some rocks or something to the mountain.

The murloc camp is kinda in a very enclosed and small area. Could you make it a bit bigger?

Also some doodads, seem kinda oddly placed. Example at the kobold camp, you could place all that treasure junk stuff at the trees and rotate it, so it doesn't get that much in the way.

Also put some more trees outside the black edge of the map. If you go to the edge ingame you can see some empty space.

If you can do some of these changes, i'd give it a 3/5.

Level 5
Hello

Good effort, not too bad, i'd vote for approval though you can still make some improvements. Here are some suggestions:

Creeps use random level x item, try use random level x perma/consume/charged instead, so you won't get too many duplicates and you can make a more consistent creep route. Other than that creep drops are fine. You might wna make the merc camp a level 3 item though and the kobold camps level 4.

I suggest using some other trees instead of those cityscape, or make the map more inhabited humanoidish. At leats do this for the player bases. Also maybe add some rocks or something to the mountain.

The murloc camp is kinda in a very enclosed and small area. Could you make it a bit bigger?

Also some doodads, seem kinda oddly placed. Example at the kobold camp, you could place all that treasure junk stuff at the trees and rotate it, so it doesn't get that much in the way.

Also put some more trees outside the black edge of the map. If you go to the edge ingame you can see some empty space.

If you can do some of these changes, i'd give it a 3/5.

I upgrade my map. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 16
I'm not sure adding fire everywhere was the right solution. Now it just look werid with perfectly fine trees on fire. Could you please remove all the fire? I still also suggest the thing with the items and trees, as those cityscape trees just look empty, because you can see the ground underneath. I've added some pictures with examples of what you can do.

9k5suc.png

2hnrq06.png

Level 5
Hello

I'm not sure adding fire everywhere was the right solution. Now it just look werid with perfectly fine trees on fire. Could you please remove all the fire? I still also suggest the thing with the items and trees, as those cityscape trees just look empty, because you can see the ground underneath. I've added some pictures with examples of what you can do.

9k5suc.png

2hnrq06.png

I Upgrade my map :ogre_haosis:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Remixer's Quality Control
Terrain
Terrain can be improved a lot. My eyes quickly noticed those awkwardly placed waterfalls at North-East and South-West corners of the map, they are just ugly. Not just because of the fact that you have placed them straight on the cliff with no water source (river or lake or something) but also because they face random directions. I strongly suggest you to check out few tutorials about water placement and how to make waterfalls look good, not anything too fancy, but you should try to place them more natural-looking. At the moment the water just appears from thin air. Also, try to make sure that all the waterfalls actually hit the water so that they do not just hit empty ground. Another thing you really should take care of is the decorative doodads you've added. Try your best to make the environment look smooth and not to make things pop out of it. At the moment the fires that are placed all over the map really look odd, especially as they are placed on natural trees and flowerpots. I'd recommend you to rethink the importance of the fires as they look awkward, especially after the trees have been cut down. It's not only the fires that pop out, but also the village houses, ruined fountains and palaces. Those doodads just don't fit to the natural theme of the map, sure you can have them there, but you should make the few squares/areas to support their existance. To do so, I'd recommend you to place one or two of those city themed tiles around those things and this way make it look like they are supposed to be there, also place some doodads that support them. At the moment a plain dalaran palace in the middle of a dirt view just looks... not natural? Additionally it's not recommended to place Blighted ground to melee maps as Undeads get advantage of that however it is not strictly forbidden either. To reduce their advantage I' recommend you to place invisible doodads that block building (but not walking) to those blighted areas so that they can't build to there. Tile variation is not that great, not the variation itself but the balance off dirt/grass/tiles is way off in my opinion, however if you wanted to create the dirt scenes it's okay. Not everything about your terrain is bad though, there is nice amounts of height variations even though at some points there is lack of it and the ground is totally flat. To point out those problem area: Shallow water (even if you place shallow water you area allowed to apply some height variation keeping the water shallow). I'd also like to point out one single error of the height the South-West shallow water area, the Southern ramp. What happened there? Fix it, as it looks really edgy and sharp. I'd also recommend you to widen the shallow water ramps a little as they are really narrow at the moment.

Neutrals
The lay out of the map is really generic. Nothing really unique or special here and the map kind of lacks the cliff height variation decreasing the tactical points. There is lots of creep camps (maybe even too much) for such small map as some of the creep camps are too close to each other. It's good to have some distance between them so that if you attack a creep camp no other creep camps start to move. (Mud Golems and Murlocs are too close to each other). Also the item drops could require a fix. Some of the creep camps have too bad drops and some of the creep camps have better drops even though the camp itself is easier to raid. Also I suggest you to set up atleast one or two "Power Up" or "Charged" item types from the drops as at the moment player can end up getting permanent item from all of the item drops which is not good. Also make the creeps guarding the Goblin Laboratory and the Mercenary Camp the same and make the creep race fit each other. There is nice variation of neutral buildings and both players have expansion gold mines.

Summary
Overall the map is very basic and does not offer players anything unique or special. On the other hand the map is playable even though there is a lot of things that could be improved.

Scores:
Terrain: 2/5
Comment: Terrain can be improved by increasing proper tile variation, fixing height changes and removing/replacing awkward looking doodads.

Neutrals: 3/5
Comment: Creeps are okay. To get higher rating I recommend you to balance the item drops and fix the other problems pointed out earlier also improve the decoration around the creep camps (support the existance of the creeps).

Generally: 2/5
Comment: Generally a playable map but I'd still improve it and for this matter I'd set it Needs Fix status.

Rating: 7/15 (Silver)

Level 30
I'd probably say that you map is better for practicing your melee map work rather than quickly uploading them for a rate which is not a good idea. Having all neutral buildings to be in the middle ends up looking like a dirty market to me, it would be more satisfying if 2 of the same neutral buildings are near or in region with each of the player's route rather than in one place, it would lead to early fights.

Creep camps are fine but since the map is too clustered raiding one camp can lead to raiding a lot of nearby camps as well which is more of a pulling and some players can take it easily while others cannot.

Terrain is in need of more polishing than drafting too much clustering stuff inside the map, the waterfall has a single tree visible, wouldn't that wreck the roots and dirt due to strong current? archways are not natural to look when next to trees by each of its ends rather use rocks or cliffs.

Also it doesn't look much of a ruin and dalaran rather it should be called "Destruction of Dalaran" or "Fires of Dalaran" might be a suitable word for this, also it doesn't resemble much of Dalaran more of a outpost/outskirt structures of the said city.

In total, map needs a lot of work.