• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gnome Engineer

Yeah. Just a gnome engineer.
The spell animation is for something like deploy turret or something.

A person from the Gnome bloodline, and a briliant engineer. As he was working on a prototype weapon to replace the traditional rifles, his arm accidentally got stucked in the ironworks. Replacing the handle with a socket, he connected it to his arm right after the amputation. Literally armed with that weapon, he's anxious to utilize all his ingenious machineries on the battlefield.
Contents

Gnome Engineer (Model)

Reviews
Misha 9th Oct 2013 Moderator's Review: mhm.. tweak the legs a bit so they don't clip with the skirt when he walks. stand anims could use something more going on, or just another where he looks around. backpack pipes should stop smoking at...

M

88b8c096c14d2181b2e61de7191420f7_67524.png
separator.gif
Misha
separator.gif
9th Oct 2013
Moderator's Review: mhm.. tweak the legs a bit so they don't clip with the skirt when he walks. stand anims could use something more going on, or just another where he looks around. backpack pipes should stop smoking at the end of death anim and they shouldn't smoke at all in dissipate anim. backpack shape could be a little more than just a skewed box. make gun-flashes bigger, and give him some tapering and up-turning on the mustache edges :p. Pipe connecting the backpack and arm could be better rigged.. change his death sound to something more fitting a gnome.. weapon attachment doesn't show..

everything else is cool and working :)

Changes made, resource approved

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Cute little guy, and interesting concept. I like the droid-turret-arm-thingy. However, I feel like (while somewhat fitting), an all-straight-white Lab Coat may not look so good in-game; no contrast, no definition. Aside from wrinkles, it needs a taste of Warcraft; giant science-belt, or massive goggles... Something. Also, he's got Hero Glow, but I can tell you he'll need a lot of "heroics" to really fit that. :p Might be better as a unit.

Lookin', good, though.

Level 20
Cute little guy, and interesting concept. I like the droid-turret-arm-thingy. However, I feel like (while somewhat fitting), an all-straight-white Lab Coat may not look so good in-game; no contrast, no definition. Aside from wrinkles, it needs a taste of Warcraft; giant science-belt, or massive goggles... Something. Also, he's got Hero Glow, but I can tell you he'll need a lot of "heroics" to really fit that. :p Might be better as a unit.

Lookin', good, though.

Ahh, a giant belt eh. Maybe something on his back to go with it too :D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ahh, a giant belt eh. Maybe something on his back to go with it too :D
Definitely, and thank you; you reminded me of an important point.

For Goblins & Gnomes, you have to find ways to make them "show-up" in-game; the modeler is always at a disadvantage if they want to make a Goblin or Gnome correctly proportional (since they will melt away in-game; just too tiny). As a result, pretty much every single Goblin (or Gnome, though they are less "around" in Wc3) model has something to increase it's silhouette/profile/size.

Shredder -> giant mech suit
Zeppelin -> giant balloon
Sappers -> 3 Goblins (2 buddies to the 'original' Goblin as a team to stand out)
Tinker -> giant claw-arm steam back-pack, platform shoes, cowboy hat
Alchemist -> massive Ogre companion, nozzles & potions, & wooden seat.

As such, you really have to find a way to make your guy stand out. Aside from the belt, I think something on his back is a sure-fire success... A techno-electric backpack wouldn't be amiss... Perhaps unfoldable wings, or techno-arms for fixing stuff, or a rack of tools that slides out... Etc.

Level 20
Definitely, and thank you; you reminded me of an important point.

For Goblins & Gnomes, you have to find ways to make them "show-up" in-game; the modeler is always at a disadvantage if they want to make a Goblin or Gnome correctly proportional (since they will melt away in-game; just too tiny). As a result, pretty much every single Goblin (or Gnome, though they are less "around" in Wc3) model has something to increase it's silhouette/profile/size.

Shredder -> giant mech suit
Zeppelin -> giant balloon
Sappers -> 3 Goblins (2 buddies to the 'original' Goblin as a team to stand out)
Tinker -> giant claw-arm steam back-pack, platform shoes, cowboy hat
Alchemist -> massive Ogre companion, nozzles & potions, & wooden seat.

As such, you really have to find a way to make your guy stand out. Aside from the belt, I think something on his back is a sure-fire success... A techno-electric backpack wouldn't be amiss... Perhaps unfoldable wings, or techno-arms for fixing stuff, or a rack of tools that slides out... Etc.

Just updated with a backpack, nope, no giant belt XD