• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Land of Blood

They drank till the land was drying up - once a lush kingdom, now a waste of blood.
They lurk at night, in the clouds of dust, in the shadows, in a Land of Blood.

Overview
Follow the narrator's monologue in this cinematic. Feel a strange atmosphere creep under your skin, with ingame sound effects (from Warcraft III), and music made by myself.

Style
The cinematic is mostly an expression of mood and theme, but opens the story about Baras the vampire that has yet to see mapmaking. Watch and make your own suggestions.

LandOfBlood3.gif

LandOfBlood2.gif

LandOfBlood1.gif

Credits
I used the Ultimate Terraining Map for the cinematic.

Because it is so hard to keep track of who made which model for the UTM, I should credit them all:

Daelin
Olofmoleman
Chriz.
xXm0rpH3usXx
Celestea
Nasrudin
aquilla
Mc !
Illidan
reinless
oBs3rv3r
Xios
sc_freak
abriko
JetFangInferno
iNfraNe
Whitehorn
Red XIII
HappyTauren
Herio-san
Illidan(evil)x
Born2Modificate
BlinkBoy

ALSO credits to PeeKay, Afronight_76, Devine, and Hanza-Ru whose models have been used.

Notes:
Don't forget to enable music and all sound.
As mentioned, I used the UTM. Excuse me that I haven't deleted every single unused file from the map, even though it would decrease the filesize, but it's not for b.net, so who cares?
This map is not protected.

- Added the Land of Blood preview
- Changed text messages into transmissions with colored text
- Added an extra scene at the end (watch it)
- There are 2 new characters in the story
- Made music for the entire cinematic
- Made various camera changes
- Made changes to various details and timing
- Opened 12 player slots so it can be hosted on B.net, although the size is over 10mb

Keywords:
cinematic, vampire, blood, horror, surreal, outland, darkness
Contents

Land of Blood (Map)

Reviews
17:34, 16th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: Re-Moderating with review and rating! Date: 2011/Oct/16 14:34:25 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Rep Received: 0Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator...

M

17:34, 16th Aug 2010
ap0calypse: Approved
Update: Re-Moderating with review and rating!
hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/16 14:34:25
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rep Received: 0
Reasons:
Other:
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: Review: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1677232-post2.html

Hmm a cinematic, review to come up shortly.

Also, improve the description by using these BB codes.
Also, add a preview image.

Edit:

178091-albums2336-picture33669.gif
Review by Kael
178091-albums2336-picture33670.gif

Land of Blood - Hugget Sukker
Cinematic
Medieval / Warcraft, Space & Aliens, Miscellanous / Other

Hiveworkshop Rules:

You are not breaking any of the hiveworkshop rules, however I suggest you use these BB codes to improve the look of the description.

Terrain:

The atmosphere looks very "dark" and does match the world it should look like.
Everything is fine.

Storyline:

Well you can't really tell much because this cinematic is kinda short, but ok for an intro or something similar. The thing with hell and vampires can be interesting whatsoever.

Camera:

The camera work was well done and the blood fade was also nice.

Imports:

There isn't a lot of custom music, except in the end, but I guess you don't want any music in the beginning.

------

Overall:

It's a good start and I hope you will be making the next part. But it does need some improvements, for example it was too short and I would have liked dark music in the end. Also the story telling is a bit lacking, at least use transmissions for the text and colorize the text with a tool

Rating: 2/5

Last edited:
Level 10
Have limited category to Medieval / Warcraft, improved description with BB code, added screenshots, but I am working on a preview right now. Glad to hear there's too little music next update will have more of that.

Edit: ^^ I was in doubt myself as to whether I was going too far with categories, and now I changed my mind. I just thought it looked pretty otherworldly, so "anything goes" I thought.

Last edited:
Level 31
Vote for approval with 2/5 rating.

Most of the thing I want to mention already been mention by Kael.

However, there is few more thing I need to address.

1) Camera - The camera movement flow ain't that good, some of the movement was way too choppy. My guess is that you directly move the camera to another while using wait action.

2) Starting - Start the cinematic directly instead of requesting user to tune up the volume and press "ESC" to begin the cinematic. ESC are often use to end cinematic and not to enable cinematic.

There is few more thing that could be mention, but I set it aside since it ain't that matter.

Level 12

Few bad things:
-At start, the super-short images slashing through that red glowing blur thing, are too short. Looks like subliminal messages or something, well point is that the watcher has no idea wth it was.
-the vampire at the end plays an odd animation, repeatedly. Slow it down or make it play at different speeds or whatever, cuz atm it really takes the overall quality down, right before the ending...
-Not sure you want your text always white in such a cinematic.
-Cinematics shouldn't be protected.
-Rather short even though i personally don't care much.
-When the camera zooms over the land really fast, you can see monotone dirt tiles on flat ground, add more variation.

Good things:
-Color scheme clearly respected apart from text (see above)
-Creative use of sounds and fade effects, i liked the red pulsating blur (and now that i think of it, was that meant to be blood?)
-Very mysterious and intriguing (until you see that dumb vampire at the end...)
-Good crediting.

Overall i really liked this cinematic but i can only encourage you to refine it, and make more.

4/5 from me, take that as an encouragement.

Level 10
Thanks for all these good comments! I take your critical opinions seriously, and have allready been working on many improvements. I hate to keep saying it's going to be updated soon, but it is, and there are surprises in store worthy of watching it again.
Stick around tomorrow by midnight :ctwist: and it may have been updated, else it'll be at midnight of the day after tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, it's not midnight yet, but HERE it IS. I'm SORRY!

Last edited:
Level 2
nice atmosphere, pretty cool idea, doesn´t seem to be that mainstream.
Unfortunately the cinematic ends when it becomes really interesting. 4/5