1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

+100 REP Team Contest - Hive Member - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by IcemanBo, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Which Hive Hero was created the best?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2018.
  1. Alliance - Lady Hive

9.8%
  2. Best tem 10/10 - Moose General

3.3%
  3. CHAMPIONS - Dark Paladin

6.6%
  4. DREAM TEAM - Goblin Artist

54.1%
  5. JustAZbound - Fabricator Tank

13.1%
  6. Scourge - Fel Spider

1.6%
  7. ZAWAIJ - Troll Pariah

11.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Welcome to the forums btw :smile: Glad to see you already taking an interest. Feel free to try the heroes and vote :wink:

2. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Reread your post and saw this :p what do you mean you failed to see the bonus?

3. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hehe, well I tried to walk the goblins over the puddle from the dead ones, first I expected them to get like a status effect to show the increase - which they didn't - but the puddle also vanished every time just as I reached it. I continued and realized that the goblins that stepped into a puddle got reformed / re-spawned, so I figured "ah! that's why the puddle vanished and the effect didn't show - it spawns a new version". But looking at the stats of this re-spawned goblin it matched that of the others without change. As such I began wondering if it was only a heal, but that couldn't be the case given the mention of other bonuses in the description. In the end I concluded that I couldn't tell if I had actually activated said bonus or not, and wrote that sentence.

4. Italic

Italic

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks ;)

5. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well it looks like some of us got overshadowed .u.

6. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, most did :grin: You had an even tougher break with the similar idea of brushes being part of it.

7. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    but that IS a rather nice concept :cgrin:

8. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    LoL! funny but true..

9. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very nice entrys!

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well, i'd call this already concluded .u. imo

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Welcome to single-vote polling.

I know this came last, but it's the most salient & important part going forward, so I'm putting it first, and that is to say:

this so hard

I think this is an incredibly important point to recognize; we need to 'set the stage' so that everyone's (entrants, voters, even Judges) expectations are aligned. It hurts to get dinged on 'originality' when you were making it "original for Warcraft", but the Judge was judging for "original to all of modding". :< I think it's something we can & should do for each & every Contest (even if just nominally; like if we decide on a default & then make sure no one has problems, 'reverse Byzantine' style).

And more than that for , not just for this particular issue, but for almost everything else, too. The most important elements to the Contest really shouldn't be 'left up to interpretation', but should be agreed upon, by the people competing, ideally.

In particular, I'm speaking specifically about something I have yet to formalize; that is, the relative 'seriousness' of the Contest, the goal. "Is this Contest mostly for fun/community, or this Contest mostly a serious 'test of skill'?" That single, solitary question underpins & defines nearly every other decision that is made.

More on this later.

Well technically I said "Creativity", "Originality", and "Uniqueness", not "Complexity". (I was talking about 'Complexity' earlier, but it's a different discussion, specific for this Contest, so I'll leave it aside for this one).

I completely agree, 'fragile' is a good word. I'd say the differences between them are very nuanced, very subtle, and in some ways kinda nonexistent (they are used as synonyms for a reason). It's why I use the "C/O/U" acronym for them, because it's a lot to type out when I often mean more than one.

Google defines them respectively as:
    Creative relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas...
    Originality the ability to think independently and creatively... the quality of being novel or unusual.
    Uniqueness the quality of being the only one of its kind... the quality of being particularly remarkable, special, or unusual

As you can see, there's a lot of overlap.

Personally, I am nearly always of the opinion that the bar for C/O/U should be, by default, set at Warcraft 3 (as it currently exists, at TFT). If anything, allow for points for going 'above & beyond' if you can come up with something C/O/U when it comes to the modding community as a whole.

This is for a few reasons: personally, everything I do is in the context of Warcraft 3; I'm usually 'adding to it' or 'replacing some things in it'. And in Warcraft 3, there are *tons* of abilities, with very little 'direct, functional overlap'... But loads of indirect and/or combinatorial overlap (perfect examples: Drunken Haze = Evasion & Critical Strike. Spiked Carapace = personal Thorns & Devotion Auras. Web = Autocast Ensnare only vs. Air. Etc etc etc).

So you can have a hero with all four abilities that are, at their heart, mostly mixed & combined versions of existing abilities. And to me, that's still OK; that's still "technically C/O/U".

Then sometimes you get a hero like the Swashbuckler (Hero Contest #8), where almost every skill in his skill-set is not only "technically C/O/U", but also literally C/O/U. (Again, though, only for Warcraft. Riposte exists all over, Turmoil is basically a variant of the Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge's Chaos Drone's Chaos Cloud, Snare Trap & Persecute are probably both in DotA, and all of those probably exist in the Spell section in some form). That is something that high marks in my book (and did).

Requiring contestants to 'meet the bar' of C/O/U in terms of the *everything* (like, the Hive's Spell section... Or worse, truly everything, like every game ever made) is, I feel, an unnecessarily high bar. Also an inconsistent one; two Judges using the same Criteria should not get wildly divergent results, generally; but that's totally possible if Judge A hasn't played as many games (& thus been exposed to more ideas) as Judge B. Judge B, having played everything ever, sees nothing as truly C/O/U and grades accordingly (low). That seems no bueno to me.

I think there's more on that topic but I've already taken up a lot of time/real-estate, so I'll leave it there for now.

12. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As much as I agree with Aph and Kyrbi0's point about making it more clear, everyone had over 50 days to ask @Cokemonkey11 that question. I never asked because I just wanted to make a spell that felt both "goblin-y" and "art-sy."

13. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's more than 50 days - it's several years of contest.
    Nonetheless, we should always move with times. It is visible that Arena has been neglected ever since Pharah_ left.

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I honestly didn't think about it, mostly because I treated this Contest as more of "for fun" rather than "test of skill" (see above, & later). If I had cared more (as I will for future Contests), I would have brought it up (however, to be honest, we've seen the kind of response afforded to my concerns in the past...).

Yeah, I wasn't complaining with Apheraz about this Contest, per se. Just laying some groundwork for future Contests.

15. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Oh we have one vote now. Yay!

16. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I have more the feeling contests get more stable again. We were lacking clear public guides in past, which we work(ed) on now. Rules and overall understanding seems also more uniform and less arbitary when I look in past. But fore sure it's not perfect.

17. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    While I don't mean to disagree, I think that since @KILLCIDE and @IcemanBo are taking care of
    things here, Arena recovers from this neglection.

ANYWAY, I will get back to the topic, if you don't mind:
    I voted for the Fabricator Tank or Frank-Tank. Love that thing.

18. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why isn't Best Tem 10/10 model not on the poster?

19. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    More mods help, too, of course, and overwatch contests, but it's Naze/me that are something like responsible for arena atm.

@Wareditor included it, but little.

Attached Files:

20. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Wareditor included it, but little.[/QUOTE]

Well I've got no reason to complain now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.