1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

1 or 5?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by donut3.5, Dec 8, 2007.

?

What do you do?

1. Switch the lever, kill the one.

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Don't switch the lever, let five die.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i will kill the 5 people, by killing them there is less competition for food and shelter in todays modern, highly competitive world.

2. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    To me, human life is infinitely valuable. 5 times infinity would still be infinity, unless I'm mistaken, so I would be at an emotional standstill.
    When morals are at a standstill, the most logical thing to do is to take things into a material point of view. 5 humans > 1. Save the 5.

I'd say directly killing someone starts when you perform an action that is supposed to result in a person's death, and succeeds at such. Therefore, I wouldn't consider accidental murder murder at all. If they were careless, of course you should still punish them, but I wouldn't call it murder.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I want to pose a somewhat related question that's been bugging me for a while:
    If you see 5 people ganging up on another man, and you had the opportunity to either kill the 5 people or stand aside and watch the man get killed by the 5, what would you choose?

3. Kjiverx

Kjiverx

Resources:
    Resources:
    assuming they are all the same age, no diseases or genetic screwups (example-mental retardation, as in took five years to learn to wave goodbye), no horrible criminals, then i pull the lever and kill the single person. if, for example, the five are all 115, and the single person is ten, there's now 5 less 115-year-old people. same goes if they're all mass-murderers.

to clarify something: i think it can be assumed that the people on the track are tied down or something. they're not just standing there. they can't leave.

i'd kill the five people beating up the lone guy. they should know better.

4. Gath_Stormer

Gath_Stormer

Resources:
    Resources:
    bull that one person KNEW he was not on the regular tracks by switching them you killed him and he was not dumb because the 5 people were walking on the acualle train tracks the one person was not.

5. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    We lack sufficient knowledge of the conditions to deduce that. We only know that you can either "actively" kill one guy or "passively" kill 5.

6. Gath_Stormer

Gath_Stormer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok then I kill the 5 people anyone dumb anof to walk on a train track should die.

7. Kjiverx

Kjiverx

Resources:
    Resources:
    the question is moot if the people can get off they tracks. someone who stays on tracks long enough to get smashed by a train was either trying to commit suicide or tied down. i can't think of another reason to stay on the tracks.

8. Gath_Stormer

Gath_Stormer

Resources:
    Resources:
    they dont know they are in front of the train headsets turned up heads downb and walking.

9. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Guys, stop adding in useless factors and look at the bare question, like MSBB said:
    Would you either actively kill one person or let five people die?
    --donut3.5--

10. Gath_Stormer

Gath_Stormer

Resources:
    Resources:
    THATS NOT THE QUESTION!! read it some more they lisining to headphones cant hear or see train.

11. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Its not the literal question, if you're smart you can pick out the exact meaning. Its not about other factors, its about the choice of being a murderer and a lifesaver at the same time, or being neither at all.
    --donut3.5--

12. Gath_Stormer

Gath_Stormer

Resources:
    Resources:
    OK OK OK then my final chose is walk on by letting the 5 die.

13. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    I consider the apathy to be murder nonetheless. Lack of action is still the equivalent of action in my eyes. Ethically, the life of one human being in comparison to five is incomparable, so I can only take the material route of, as the title suggests, 1 or 5. If I have to take an extra helping of guilt to make the minimal amount of casualties, I suppose I can do it.

14. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So am I killing every person that doesn't die by not saving them?
    --donut3.5--

15. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not unless you knew you could prevent their death at the time your apathy resulted in their death.

16. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A better question would be:
    If someone you love is the one guy/girl, would you still kill him/her to save the other 5? Then I don't mean ideally, since I'm quite sure ideally most people would choose to save the 5, but...

17. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    In my logic, the 5 are going to be equivalent to the 1 either way, so I'd probably selfishly save the 1.

18. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    To answer Eleandor, I would save the one and be selfish. I would feel pretty bad after probably, but I doubt I could let someone I loved die over a group of people I don't know. Besides, you didn't have to change the tracks.

More interestingly what if the train was going to hit the person you loved. Would you switch it to kill the other five? I might have a harder time then. If I actively had to kill the 5.

To the first question. Morally I have no idea what the Church would say here. I think I would save the five though. Even if it was "wrong" if the Churches eyes.

19. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now how about this:
    A train is going towards 5 of your friends. On the other side is the one you love.
    --donut3.5--

20. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Kill the one I love. It makes for a better story. To do the other wouldn't have as much character development and internal conflict.