• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] (1) Brownscape: Torment (Working Title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I've been working on RDZ Industries: Project Y4 for, pretty much, two years solid, so I hope you'll understand if I want to take a little breather before doing the bonus missions.

Back when I was deciding where to go next, all those years ago, it was a toss-up between Project Y4 and a map known only as Brownscape: Torment.

Fast-forward more than two years. The plot-constipation that made Brownscape a no-go back then has, by stress and the attendant sleepless nights, somehow dissipated and I now think I've got enough elements planned out that I can make another attempt to continue the stub I made so long ago.

Brownscape: Torment

It's built on the RdzPG (or rDZpg?) platform -- it is systematically a This Wreckage clone, focusing on a single central hero in an open-ish world with indoor and outdoor areas, sword and shield and item stacking systems, and so on.

In the desert, all is dust.

attachment.php

Lash, the Outcast, lives on the edge of a fortress town in the middle of the desert. He is a Shul'kra -- a dusky, chitinous biped, a "Child of Shul". Exiled for his delving into the ways of magic, in a society that hates magic, he is nonetheless allowed to continue living in the vicinity of the oasis: for even the most callous Shul'kra know that sending anyone into the open desert means certain death.

attachment.php

And then one day, a Sage arrives, asking that he be allowed to examine the fabled libraries that the Shul'kra supposedly keep locked underground...

attachment.php

The Shul'kra

The Shul'kra are based on Olof Moleman's Geonosian model. I recieved personal and explicit permission to perform edits as necessary to create the central characters of the game, so without Olof, Brownscape would never have got off the ground -- massive, massive kudos to him (for he is both w00t, rad and awesome).

The Shul'kra are a very insular people. Outsiders, and poor outcast Lash, are not allowed into their fortress-town. However, as a courtesy against the harsh reality of the desert, they run the Tavern of Broken Wings, where locals and outsiders alike may drink and find shelter from the blazing sun and the terrible, abrasive sandstorms.

attachment.php

The Desert

While the oasis around which the Shul'kra make their homes marks the centre of the desert, it is by no means the only accessible part. Travel by night, move underground, use magic or just keep a vial of water with you to stave off the burning heat of the sun. Stay out too long without protection and you will die, but plan carefully and know where you're going and you might just make it through the sea of sand.

The desert might seem featureless, but scattered around are plenty of points of interest. Sunken cave entrances, oases, abandoned buildings from earlier ages -- the mysteries of the Shul'kra won't be uncovered by clinging to the safety of the oasis.

attachment.php

And That's It
Keep It Simple, Stupid. Brownscape: Torment will not be a ten-hour epic, it won't revolutionise the genre and it definitely won't fight the engine, silhouetted against the skyline by flashes of lightning. It will, however, hopefully be an intriguing little story with its own quirks and twists...

Discuss
Hi, I'm Rao Dao Zao and I make singleplayer RPGs.

Attachments

• oasis.jpg
    oasis.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1,948
  • asagecalls.jpg
    asagecalls.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 1,838
  • itburns.jpg
    itburns.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 1,833
  • sagewords.jpg
    sagewords.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 1,764
  • thetavernofbrokenwings.jpg
    thetavernofbrokenwings.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 1,754
Level 14
This looks like a promising project. I played This Wreckage and really enjoyed a lot of the RPG aspects you put into it. I'm sure this one will be just as good, keep up the good work. +Rep

Level 23
Level 23
You are incredible.
:ogre_datass:
Looks awesome but I was hoping that it would resemble Placescape slightly more.
Planescape: Torment was on my mind when I started the map, and I'm still not sure what its real name will be... So Brownscape: Torment shall do for now.:ogre_hurrhurr:

I think these short & sweet simple RPGs are the greatest. Just an adventure to play through. You should make more of these. Awesome!
Well, more content is better but I don't feel like spending another year or two working on the same project. Luckily all the systems are already in place from the first pass, so Brownscape's turn-around time should be relatively (relatively) quick -- as it'll only be a matter of implementing pure content and scripting plot events.

Level 23
Since some of the scenes in Brownscape are going to be a little more intimate than any of my previous stuff, I'm looking into doing the occasional funny camera angle. The bulk of the game will be camlocked to Lash as normal, but one-room areas like this mysterious cave will have fixed funny angles.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

And here's a picture of the Stone King. He rules a large part of the underground and hates criminals.

:ogre_datass:

Attachments

• situationlock.jpg
    situationlock.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 282
  • thestoneking.jpg
    thestoneking.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 244
Level 6
This is just awesome, as always! Terrain is simply perfect, as well as models. I must give you that, you alone keep me working on my RPG campaign.
+ Rep!

Level 23
Another legendary RDZ production?
Don't people/things have to be dead before you can declare them legendary?:ogre_icwydt:

Looks great! Though I still have a hang over on your Project Y4 terrain.
It's not that bad, is it? :sad:

You give people like me another reason to play WarCraft 3.
What, you aren't staying around for all the 12-player AoSes?:ogre_hurrhurr:

I must give you that, you alone keep me working on my RPG campaign.
And that's the real reason why I'm still going -- I want to encourage other people to keep the singleplayer flame alive. :ogre_kawaii:

Level 23
Isn't it too short? Oh well I trust your sense, I'm sure this will be epic like your other maps.
That's the point though, innit? I don't want to make another giant epic this time around -- I want to make something a little smaller, a little more intimate. Even so, the plot is still a bit epic in a tragic kind of way.

If it naturally ends up lasting a bit longer than an hour and a half then I won't complain, but I'm not going to go in all guns blazing to make it a monolith.

Level 9
Hey it's Rao Dao Zao, I remembered you in wc3campaigns.net (wc3.net) , you're a pretty good adventure/rpg map maker. You're the one who made "When Freedom Slips Away", I liked that map.
Can't wait to try out your map.

PS: I don't like you very much, but you're one awesome map maker. :p

Level 2
your maps are always awesome as hell! played them all to completion many times (yes i hold the world record score in This Wreckage LOL) :)
ps still hoping for the finale to this wreckage!

Level 23
My Idol, continue on.
:ogre_kawaii:
your maps are always awesome as hell! played them all to completion many times (yes i hold the world record score in This Wreckage LOL) :)
ps still hoping for the finale to this wreckage!
You've been had!:ogre_icwydt:

This Wreckage and its ilk are in the process of an ongoing rebuild and rewrite, so in ten years time you might see a real game that is somehow a little familiar. (This is making Brownscape a little awkward in places, because I'm still not sure how much of any crossover material should come from the shonky original or the stronger rewrite. My instinct is that I should stick to the published canon, but the rewrite is so much better...)

In the open desert screenshot, is the intense yellow colour created by fog or lighting, or both?.
Neither! :ogre_hurrhurr:

The intense brightness is an advanced fade filter that uses the additive blend type. It gets more and less intense as your temperature rises and falls (i.e. alpha is set from temperature). Once you hit max heat, Lash goes red and takes high periodic damage until he dies, whereupon he wakes up back at his house with a splitting headache.

Level 23
I realised recently that, for living in a land that has very few trees, the Shul'kra sure have a lot of wooden fixtures and fittings.

The solution I came up with is to shamelessly Morrowind and create a new mushroom tree -- it's the Outland mushroom tree browned up and given the Barrens tree's bark. The recipe for all Brownscape doodads is to, well, make them brown.

Everybody loves underground mushroom forests, right? These trees grow above and below ground, but hidden beyond the priests' private area is this sacred forest from whence all the wood comes.

Attachments

• mushroom.jpg
    mushroom.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 190
  • brownscape1.jpg
    brownscape1.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 124
  • brownscape2.jpg
    brownscape2.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 152
  • brownscape3.jpg
    brownscape3.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 155
Level 23
Nice. Maybe edit the small mushrooms too, and have a few saplings growing here and there? ^^
There are small mushrooms visible in that screenshot around some of the edges. :cry:

The small mushrooms are healing potions, though, so I expect people to get hideously angry when they discover they can't pick the decorative ones. (Not that I've exactly skimped on item placements so far.)

Level 23
Well, if the small mushrooms would be spinning, or blue, or green, or red or something, I trust this wouldn't be a problem?
I hope the fact that they've got shadows should be clue enough. They're also a slightly different model -- one of the mushrooms is on its side. We've come a long way from just using doodads for item models, here...

Unless you're absolutely keen on keeping them brown.
Clue's in the (working) title! :ogre_hurrhurr:

Status
Not open for further replies.