• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

🛠 EXP System FAQ 🛠 - Updated Mar 6, 2022

Archian

Site Director
Level 61

EXP System FAQ.png

NOTICE - The EXP progress bar is updated every 10 minutes. So if you don't see your progress bar move, don't worry - it will. You can always see your recent EXP on your profile.

experience-system-png.370198

Inspired by the Warcraft 3 Hero experience progress bar. Members of the Hive Workshop can gain EXP (experience points) by posting on the forums, receiving a positive reaction (Like, Love, Wow and Haha), submitting a resource or winning contests (EXP BOOST). Gaining EXP increases your level. Depending on your level, your EXP Progress Bar will change color. More colors may be added in the future. Once you reach a specific level you can unlock new rank icons.

AMOUNT OF EXP GAINED BY:
  • Posting messages +1 EXP
  • Creating a thread +2 EXP
  • Receiving a positive reaction +5 EXP.
  • Submitting a tutorial +20 EXP
  • Submitting a resource +20 EXP
  • Winning a contest +X EXP
  • Getting a 3-5 Star Rating +4-6 EXP
  • Getting a Director's Cut Rating +50 EXP

*The amount of EXP gained is subject to change.
The experience gained from these actions varies by the type of action and section. For instance, no EXP is gained from posting in the Off-Topic forum or private messages.

Becoming a Hero can increase the amount of EXP you receive from posting, receiving a positive reaction (Like, Love, Wow and Haha) or submitting a resource by up to 100% more.

reputation-is-gone-png.370197

We did not want to implement a reputation system when all communities these days use reactions. Reactions also happen to work better on mobile.

Current reputation is converted to XenForo 2 reactions such as like, love and angry. The old Reputation messages are converted to profile posts. Reputation contest awards are converted to experience awards.

Last edited:
Tbh I think it should be more like this;
Screenshot_12.png

While posting messages and threads do incentivize people to use the forum more, I don't feel simply a post or thread warrants rewards. I think contributions should be rewarded, not participation.

Attachments

• 1615845493452.png
    1615845493452.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 37
What about tying some xp to resource ratings, instead of just the action of uploading. As in the 1 to 5 stars users can rate a resource after they have commented on it. So any score above average (3) gives some xp. Would discourage people from spamming the resource sections and encourage hard (or atleast flashy) work.

Something like:
⭐: 0 XP
⭐⭐: 0 XP
⭐⭐⭐: 1 XP
⭐⭐⭐⭐: 2 XP
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐: 3 XP

(Rebalance as necessary)

Level 7
There was one good thing about reputation system:it was not a reaction thing that i say i'm angry or happy you just give reputation and no need for anything else.(and i like that)
Should we give a reaction to a comment or something else?
and the number of xp you give for every thing is so low(1 xp for comment)i suggest you increase the numbers.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
What about tying some xp to resource ratings, instead of just the action of uploading. As in the 1 to 5 stars users can rate a resource after they have commented on it. So any score above average (3) gives some xp. Would discourage people from spamming the resource sections and encourage hard (or atleast flashy) work.

Something like:
⭐: 0 XP
⭐⭐: 0 XP
⭐⭐⭐: 1 XP
⭐⭐⭐⭐: 2 XP
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐: 3 XP

(Rebalance as necessary)
That's an interesting idea. It just sucks when you are @SpasMaster and worked 100 years on a map and get 3 XP for your map because everyone likes it :p

How about something like (number of ratings) x max(0, rating average - 3) XP?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Seems pretty good overall. I miss Reputation a little, but I had a number of frustrations with it (difficulty to use on Mobile, not enough range, default always set to the highest, etc), and I love how much this streamlines for you admins/mods (in terms of tying rewards to different kinds of activities).

I do like that simply posting gives you Experience. ; )

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
NOTICE - This is still WIP.

EXP for submtting a resource will be increased to 20 (depending on the section), in addtion if the resource gets a 5 star rating, the author gets an addtional +5 EXP. The same is true for 1-4 star rating i.e. 1 star rating grants +1 addtional EXP etc.

So a single resource is eligible to get a total of +10 EXP from a single user (rating + reaction). Plus 20 EXP from posting it. This is subject to change.

An author of resource can also get +50 EXP if the resource gets a Director's Cut rating (*Subject to change)

DC_hiverating02.png

We also have plans for members to unlock special rank icons if they meet the requirement like our current Orc Rank Icons. For instance:

Submitted Resources (WIP*):

Tier2-random.png
25 Resources
Tier3-random.png
100 Resources
tier3yellow.png
250 Resources
Tier4-random.png
500 Resources
Tier5-random.png
750 Resources

Contest Wins (WIP*):

Tier2x-tourney.png
Win 2 Contests
tier3tx.png
Win 4 Contests
Tier4x-tourney.png
Win 6 Contests
Tier5x-tourney.png
Win 8 Contests
Tier3x-tourney.png
Win 10 Contests

Level Unlocks (WIP*):

Tier1-nightelf.png
Level 5
Tier2-nightelf.png
Level 10
Tier2x-nightelf.png
Level 15
Tier3x-nightelf.png
Level 20
Tier4x-nightelf.png
Level 25
Tier3-nightelf.png
Level 30
Tier4-nightelf.png
Level 35
Tier5x-nightelf-beta.png
Level 40
Tier5x-nightelf2.png
Level 45
Tier5-nightelf.png
Level 50
Tier6x-nightelf.png
Level 55
Tier6x-random.png
Level 60

NOTICE - Anyone who has earned a rank icon in the past, will of course keep that icon.

Last edited:
Level 20
in addtion if the resource gets a 5 star rating, the author gets an addtional +5 EXP. The same is true for 1-4 star rating i.e. 1 star rating grants +1 addtional EXP etc.
That's per rating, right? I mean, if a resource gets a 5 star rating from 10 users, it will get 50 extra experience? If so then I think that's awesome :)

Level 22
Really glad to see the rank customizations, and resources being much better rewarded.

I'm curious if there's ideas for the flags/banners beside the rank icon? I am not exactly sure how you get those with the current system, but seems like it's not related to the rank icon and can be mixed, having for example a grunt with a night elf banner. Anyhow, customization of those if it's not too much, could be interesting as well. Like X amount of colors per flag being unlockable by post count milestones or something.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
These all seem like pretty great changes overall. Love the idea of incentivizing various parts of the community experience.

@Archian , consider saving yourself a whole lot of extra time typing & re-typing & re-typing, and just put "All Numbers Are WIP & Subject To Change" in big, colored, bold font at the top of the first post on the page. ; )

Level 20
What do you guys think about receiving 1exp whenever you star rate a resource to give a bit of incentive to the people rating also, since rating is such a rarity.
I'm all for incentivizing rating resources, but it I'm afraid doing it this way could make people spam ratings. Then again, 1 experience is so little that I don't think a lot of people would be desperate enough to try something like this and even if, it should be easy to notice and take action against.

All things considered, I think it could be worth it to try your idea.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
NOTE: This is subject to change and still WIP.

Night Elves cannot be unlocked by leveling (like previously mentioned) but by other means (to be announced).

Some changes to the current Orc Ranks which are unlocked by having the corresponding post count. Chaos Blademaster and Chaos Hellscream are replaced with Gul'dan and Orc Warlock, but the rank order will be changed.

Instead members can unlock Chaos Orcs by leveling.

chaos1.png
Level 10
chaos2png.png
Level 20
chaos5.png
Level 30
chaos3.png
Level 40
chaos4.png
Level 50
blademaster.png
Level 60
hellscramrank.png
Level 70

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Resource types need different weights. Someone who submits hundreds of icon resources will get orders of magnitude more experience than people who submit a few high quality models or even a single map or campaign despite having comparable hours of work put into them in total.

Maps and campaigns should award the most experience as individual resources can take their authors years to create. Icons and spells the least. Resource packs (if those still exist) should award experience based on the content of the pack so as to encourage the use of packs rather than submitting resources separately to earn more experience.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Like I stated previously:
EXP for submtting a resource will be increased to 20 (depending on the section)
Resource types need different weights. Someone who submits hundreds of icon resources will get orders of magnitude more experience than people who submit a few high quality models or even a single map or campaign despite having comparable hours of work put into them in total.
Indeed, we have plans to adjust the EXP gained in each respective resource section e.g. submitting a model grants more EXP than an icon.

Level 21
There was one good thing about reputation system:it was not a reaction thing that i say i'm angry or happy you just give reputation and no need for anything else.(and i like that)

Maybe there could be an emote for "useful" or "helpful". which is more like what you are saying.

another thing - maybe resource submitters should also be rewarded for amounts of downloads. some resources do not have a bunch of positive feedback, but the download number sort of shows that they are actually very useful and maybe should be rewarded for that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Actually, posting a lot will get you more experience over time than resources that are usually slower to be made and rarer per user.
Yes but that is why they have unique "Dr Super Good" icons for post count lol.

Numbers might need fine tuning over time. And certainly posts in sections like Something Else should not count.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Any plans to have the experience bar show the ranges of experience for each level like in the game?
Example: Level 1 (1Xp/10Xp); Level 20 (1000Xp/5000Xp) etc.
Right now, the bar shows the total accumulated experience.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
We did not want to implement a reputation system when all communities these days use reactions. Reactions also happen to work better on mobile.

Current reputation is converted to XenForo 2 reactions such as like, love and angry. The old Reputation messages are converted to profile posts. Reputation contest awards are converted to experience awards.

Why did you guys scrap reputation system? I am interested to know that.