• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World War One-the Road to War v4.51

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
World War One - The Road to War!
(by LlamaNamedOsama@USEast/Azeroth)

WW1 is a historical simulation/strategy map, placing players in the roles of the Great Powers of the early 20th century in one of the most devestating conflicts known to man - world war one. Fight for either the Allies or the Central Powers, as you struggle through the timeline in order to reach your ultimate goal of victory.

=Details=
Players~
[Allies]
Red - Russian Empire
Blue - Minor Allies/USA
Teal - Great Britain
Purple - France
Orange - Serbia/Portugal or Canada
Green - Italy

[Centrals]
Pink - Bulgaria
Yellow - Ottoman Empire
Darkgreen - Austro-Hungarian Empire
Brown - German Empire

-Engage in war through a full detailed map of eurasia/north africa
-Fight as they actually fought in ww1! If you charge at a line of trenches, you'll learn the very same thing they did as your men's blood spills into the ground!
-Historical Timeline and events, from Italy's entrance in the war to the Russian Revolution
-Unique units: cast mayhem from above with the Russian murometz bombers, or steamroll infantry with French Renault tanks!

Hope you enjoy it! It's pretty much my first "legit" map project, in the veeerry late beta stages (if I ever get around to getting 4.4 finished, it'll no longere be beta).

[Protected - had some issues with earlier versions being stolen and stealers taking all the credit...]

[Updated version 4.51]

Keywords:
world war one, ww1, road to war
Contents

World War One-the Road to War v4.51 (Map)

Reviews
15:18, 2nd May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Please credit everyone's resources, until then, Rejected.

M

15:18, 2nd May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Please credit everyone's resources, until then, Rejected.

Level 6
An interesting map, with plenty of strategy considering the lack of strategy in the real war.

Good
  • The terrain is raised elevation, rather than blizzard cliffs. This makes the game more appealing to the eyes and the navy is not as restricted as it usually is in other maps.
  • You can increase your income without having to take more cities/towns. It bothers me slightly that people get more income in most strategies when they conquer more cities/towns, when war is a nasty purse-snatcher for a nation's income.
  • This is a realistic game, rather than a sandbox game. It has events that affect the outcome. Nothing annoys me more in a game when two players that are supposed to be sworn enemies (say Naga & Night Elves in Azeroth Wars) ally each other and mess the game up.

Bad
  • Minor imbalances. France does not really need Britain to help defend against Germany, and this allows Britain to focus on the Ottomans and easily defeat them.
  • The game is completely screwed up when a vital player (e.g. Germany) leaves. Ideally, the nearest ally should automatically receive the leaving player's buildings and units rather than a share-control, for a better ease of use. It is a fair amount harder to share control with a player while playing yourself too than playing with an enlarged you.

Overall I give this map a 4/5.

Level 2
One thing, the trenches, should be made so that they are not orc burrows, instead they just have the wall model, and has auras like, evasion auras, decreased speed aura for the team, so the units actually attack the people, who die, not the trench dieing, and have the people stil live..... iono i tink the trench with auras and no units in it is more ideal.

Level 5
I haven't worked on this project in quite awhile but I have to disagree with many of the blatant errors in this review.

First off, some of you guys seem to be more ultra-narrow-minded than the most conservative of religious leaders. The reality is that terrain differs stylistically based on what each map tries to convey. World War 1, representing the entire Eurasian/North African area, is clearly an abstraction of the land. Thus, the terrain too is in abstraction and wouldn't be detailed like one might terrain a village or lake - considering that, putting a "fallen log" down as a doodad would symbolically place a fallen log the size of a dozen square acres. Anyone who has played Europa Universalis 3, Hearts of Iron 2, or any paradox title knows what I'm referring to by this terrain abstraction.

Second, it is not "severely imbalanced." Perhaps the reviewer was a complete newb and went against a team of people with much experience in the game. Yet that is a reality in every single map that exists - newbs get owned by experienced players. To verify my claim, I offer up the proof that I can beat the reviewer on either side, allies or central.

Third, the claim that it lacks originality because of "seeing many maps such as this one out there" are flagrantly absurd. http://mapgnome.org/query/162937/sort-hosted/east/1
Search Mapgnome, for example, and the only "world war one" that pops up is this (ISH of course was created afterwards, directly inspired by mine when I disappeared for a bit).

Level 24
Bounty, I'm am going to have to complain about your review a bit here.

The terrain is appropriate for the genre, and it is pretty much the original. I haven't played the game heavily myself, but there is a large community around the map, who do not find any major/game breaking imbalances.