• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vehster's Race.

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A fun map you can play.

Story - None yet, anyone is free to write up and offer me their story for this map.

Game-play - Well it is similar to a maze, you click and try to beat other players.

Credit - Super-Sheep

Screenshots below, I will not reveal details of this map... I apologize but it is for the better for your fun.

Different tiles do different stuff though.

Suggestions being wanted;
Ability idea's?
Balance?
New Tile or area's?
New obstacles?
Collision for player units to bounce one another?
How do you like it?
Test the map before you give a review.

Suggestions I do not want;
Evil Feedback
No saying " more details please"
Map is corrupted for a reason, no open version for people yet.
Judgement of triggers and inside map data.

- Version - * One *

( Number updates when I update )

Keywords:
Vehster, V3H, V, Speed, speed, s, maze, fun, epic, bird, rpg
Contents

Vehster's Race. (Map)

Reviews
18:47, 1st Sep 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected
Level 7
Oh, really?

I must test this....

EDIT - Should be fixed.

Seems I protected it too well, I removed something to make it work....
However if anyone can rebuild/deprotect this?
I would love to know if you did it and if you could tell me how you did it, no not script extracts but a true deprotect.
Can't protect scripts anymore.

Level 6
I tried it out, and here are a few suggestions:
- More tracks, and give points for winning tracks (maybe have the tracks shorter)
- More objects and terrain on each track, maybe give items you can use to strike enemies or give yourself a buff, like in Mario Cart (it gets a bit dull)
- Have different styled tracks, like one is a dungeon, filled with flames and traps, other is icey, filled with slippery slopes (slide)

Some minor suggestions:
- When a player finishes, he should be able to view other players, maybe able to switch from Free view to locking camera on other players, and perhaps even PoV
- If you do more tracks that give points for victory (making it more like an actual game), make Player 1 able to choose how many tracks are played
- A player can choose between different racers, each with his unique ability
- Add checkpoints, so when you die you go to them, not starting point

With these in mind this could be a fun map to play.

Level 28
First thing I'd like to ask you, is whether you'd want to change the file name ("race" sounds so...unpersonal).
And this is not a question, but a demand: what did Super-Sheep do exactly? You based off one of his maps, which one? Did you get permission etc. Best thing to do is link the map you edited it from and add some sign of his approval.

Here are some other suggestions:

Cliffs/hills:
It'd be good to see some more variation in the terrain height.
And then I don't just mean using a tool to increase/decrease the terrain height, but also let it influence the speed of the runner.
The steeper the cliff, the slower you go (and vice versa).

Tracks:
Create more tracks. Definitely.
They sure don't have to be as long as this one: very short tracks, where agility and a good hand-eye coordination are the most important factors of winning the race can greatly increase the variety of the game.
EroticSideburns basically said most about the tracks. Create a good (better than this one) terrain, various terrains (perhaps with different effects too: dungeons might contain earthquakes, which shake the camera).
You could also place a few top-down camera's and make the host (or the first player) be able to select a map (with arrow keys would be the best choose system).

Misc:
When you finish the race, there's not much to do.
You just wait and check the minimap, hoping the opponent is almost at the end.
When he IS at the end, nothing happens (at least, I didn't see anything happen). Perhaps a restart-option? Or at least a little sign that tells you the position of the runners and in which time they completed the track.
Something to make you think "Oh, everyone's finished!" instead of "Player X finished".

I know your description already said something about abilities, and you do indeed need them.
The problem is that I don't really have a lot of inspiration.
I can think of "Jump" (which would require you to track whether the jumping unit is actually jumping OVER the object, or against it - not the easiest to code) and maybe somehing to let you resist slowing down in grass (no name-idea here, but easy to code and implement).

Another harder thing to code: slipping.
If you don't use 1 speed, but 2 speeds (speed at the X-axis and speed at the Y-axis), you can create a slipping effect. This slipping effect can be bigger on wet/slippery surfaces (The farmland for example).
When done correctly, it adds another difficulty factor to the game.

Yet again, EroticSideburns came up with some other great ideas as well. Different racers, although not required, are a nice add-on all equally powerful, checkpoints! Another one to definitely put on your to-do list.
Good luck.

Level 20
And this is not a question, but a demand: what did Super-Sheep do exactly? You based off one of his maps, which one? Did you get permission etc. Best thing to do is link the map you edited it from and add some sign of his approval.
It started right from there.

I didnt see the map was worth of anything unless I could get the sliding... Or as you say: slipping system into it. And I dont care if he makes map similiar to mine because mine will be 20% cooler anyway in case that I get motivation to do the map.

btw if you have time you could take a look on my thread and implent the slipping system I think Vehster would appreciate it too.