• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Promise Land

User who uploaded this Presents

Promise Land
Created by normalice

Map Info:

A lush green oasis in the midst of a demon infested land.

Features:

Designed exclusively for FFA - up to 6 players.
2 observatories, 4 waygates, 4 taverns, 4 shops, 2 fountains of mana, 1 marketplace. The intent of the terrain layout of this map is that multiple players will often trip over each other - hopefully making it more interesting.

Screenshots:
here

Author's notes:
Someone asked for an 8-player FFA map, so I made this. Not sure how well it will work, though...

Updates:
made center area accessible by waygate
removed starting positions at the '3' and '9' o'clock positions
removed and added some trees
removed merc camps
added a marketplace
added some green creeps
added two fountains of mana
-
removed starting positions at '12' and '6' o'clock positions, converted them to expansion mines
added waygates near those positions.
all expansion mine gold amount modified to reflect the expected difficulty of holding it.
increased open area around many expansions
-
fixed expansion placement problems at top-right natural.

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Promise Land (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet16:11, 9th Aug 2013 Map Approved Promise Land (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet16:11, 9th Aug 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Promise Land (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Total gameplay is hardcore, everything is stable and no much creeping out all of the creep level zones in the map, although players that will take seat on north and south main player bases looks very tight and very guarded by trees while the rest has huge amounts of player space, though I find this no problem at all but I suggest giving the north and south player bases a little pinch of space like moving the trees a bit."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

"Terrain is a monster, that combo technique is very adored to melee players and those who seek much details will consider this, somehow the whole theme of this design reminds me of a rock song not that is not too classic."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my observation, this map is wicked and I suggest this to be highly recommend to others who might this one out."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
13/1593%A

Level 3
The map is well balanced in term of position and access to gold and labs.
The issues I see with it :

- 3/6/9/12 positions have a really bad access to wood. I spawned as ud at 3 and there were no good place to put a graveyard to have access to a good amount of wood. The 4 others pos have a big forest just next to the main. I'd say 3/6/9/12 need more wood closer to base. 3/9 are the most scrwed since 6/12 have little more access with wood next to the mine.

- lack of green creeps camp. There should be some more on the way to the corner shops. There should be some around 3/6/9/12 pos

- path to the corner shop seems a little long or the terrain seems little empty.

- the big mine in the middle is really not usefull. It is not like players will fight for that mine, whoever manage to get it has already won most likely. In center of workable ffa map you ahve usually either nothing, or fountains, or market which are worth getting at.

- merc camp im not really sure if they are usefull. If you fly in zep to the mid, it is unlikely you want to use a spot in your zep to bring back a turtle merc

- I dont really like zone reachable only by zep as you know :D. Here I Fear that the guy getting on mid first can creep the 4 creep camp on the periphery before anyone else arrive and get imba level. Need real players to see about that

I think the wood path linking bases is interesting, need to see what happens late game when wood is chopped and players can walk from one base to another.

I will try to get a game going on it

thks for your work!

Level 13
The map is well balanced in term of position and access to gold and labs.
The issues I see with it :

- 3/6/9/12 positions have a really bad access to wood. I spawned as ud at 3 and there were no good place to put a graveyard to have access to a good amount of wood. The 4 others pos have a big forest just next to the main. I'd say 3/6/9/12 need more wood closer to base. 3/9 are the most scrwed since 6/12 have little more access with wood next to the mine.

I was afraid of that, but kept getting distracted when I worked on it. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow and see if I can do anything.

As for the creeps, it has exactly the number of creeps as Mur'gul Oasis. Granted MO is not exactly intended for 8-players, but I'll see if I can stuff some more in there somewhere.. One option is to reduce this to a 6-player map and remove the 3/6 positions?

as for the middle part, the theory is that whoever gets it will face an up-hill battle defending it from everyone. The four merc camps are there to aid in that defense, or to aid in the offense. I was going to put fountains there, but didn't think that was worth the trip.

Last edited:
Level 3
you guys always have good solutions I didnt think about.

6 ways would work, need to see after testing if north and south pos would not get screwed by being surrounded. I think they need more wood anyway but yes it should work better.

If you change it to 6 ways i will try host a few games

Level 13
of course another map to be approved to your admirable curriculum of melee maps
but
a sugestion, if you want mix tiles

jass new gen, you can have 16 tiles, it is really a great diference, you should start using it if you want to mix tiles of diferents types

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=90999
heh. I barely know what to do with the tiles that I have... artsy tile mixing is not my forte..

Level 28
So here am I reviewing this melee map that took my interest after I saw a green color at the center of the to obvious Outland tileset. Downloading with a lot of expectations I don't really know if I should be happy or disappointed after a match.

The terrain layout is plausible with a lot of strategic and critical areas which is what I and others should expect from you but I prefer if there are cliffs block behind your lumber resources since cutting it all down will lead to a very serious problem. The designing is probably where I got disappointed, I give you credit for the nice use of Outland's Rockspire and it serves a good replacement for Blizzard Cliff. The problem is(and it seems that it is always been your problem) is that your designing is very inconsistent and its really obvious, if you started to fill some places with solid designs then you should try to continue fill up the whole map. Oh I also hate that you spammed a lot of shrubs in the middle part. I edited the shrubs by deleting the excess shrubs and re-position some shrubs and I swear to god it looks a lot of neater so I advice you to do the same. I don't really have much complaints against the creep balance and drop and also about 5 red camp in the middle and I actually love it. I also think that the neutral buildings placement are also just fine.

The most noticeable improvement from you is your tile brushing.(Base on the only maps of yours that I played.)

4/5

Level 13
So here am I reviewing this melee map that took my interest after I saw a green color at the center of the to obvious Outland tileset. Downloading with a lot of expectations I don't really know if I should be happy or disappointed after a match.

The terrain layout is plausible with a lot of strategic and critical areas which is what I and others should expect from you but I prefer if there are cliffs block behind your lumber resources since cutting it all down will lead to a very serious problem. The designing is probably where I got disappointed, I give you credit for the nice use of Outland's Rockspire and it serves a good replacement for Blizzard Cliff. The problem is(and it seems that it is always been your problem) is that your designing is very inconsistent and its really obvious, if you started to fill some places with solid designs then you should try to continue fill up the whole map. Oh I also hate that you spammed a lot of shrubs in the middle part. I edited the shrubs by deleting the excess shrubs and re-position some shrubs and I swear to god it looks a lot of neater so I advice you to do the same. I don't really have much complaints against the creep balance and drop and also about 5 red camp in the middle and I actually love it. I also think that the neutral buildings placement are also just fine.

The most noticeable improvement from you is your tile brushing.(Base on the only maps of yours that I played.)

4/5
thanks for the feedback!

the shrub spamming in the middle was because there doesn't seem to be a way to change cliff types, so I was stuck with an outland cliff on what I wanted to be a sunken ruins area. Shrubs don't block pathing or building, in any numbers, and they are small, so I spammed the hell out of them to cover up the rough-dirt edges of the outland cliff. If you remove all of the shrubs you will notice it looks horrible. Then, to not make it look unnatural, I had to do some moderately dense shrubbing where there wasn't a cliff. Of course, it's very possible that I overdid it..

as for lumber, it is packed in pretty tight. I don't expect it to all be cut down before the game ends. I thought about adding cliffs to keep the bases separate, but that reduced the amount of lumber, which is kind-of scarce already.. Moreover, if a shorter path is cut down between bases, it would be late in the game, when that isn't really advantageous to anyone. But, I will take another look at it and see if there is something I can do about it.

I don't really know what you mean by "consistent". Wouldn't the same patterns throughout the map be kind of boring? Additionally, when Blizzard does map contests (not that they ever will again..), one of the first things they look for is the complete lack of perfectly consistent terrain/doodad/unit patterns - they don't want someone to merely copy/paste a whole map.

I can't really claim credit for 'improving' my tile brushing. The outland and sunken ruins tilesets are the easiest to make good looking terrain with :wink:

Level 28
I don't really know what you mean by "consistent". Wouldn't the same patterns throughout the map be kind of boring? Additionally, when Blizzard does map contests (not that they ever will again..), one of the first things they look for is the complete lack of perfectly consistent terrain/doodad/unit patterns - they don't want someone to merely copy/paste a whole map.

I'm not talking about a same looking terrain all the way from the end. I'm talking about consistent designing where there is no obvious empty spaces. There are many ways to fill empty spaces but still look neat and tidy.