• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halo Wars CE

Map Link:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/halo-wars-ce-247226/?prev=status=p&u=

Official Website:

http://halowarscentral.weebly.com

Superb Avalon Presents
Created by: Black Hand Industries
Lead Designer: Black Badger

Map Info

Halo Wars RTS

Map: Frozen Valley

Summary

Frozen Valley is a large 2v2 map in Halo Wars. The map is situated on nuclear-winter Harvest, with mountain ranges splitting up the map. Plenty of expansion sites can be found on this map and a Forerunner Factory is found in the center of the map. It is possible that the Forerunner may have battled the Flood here as the Factory suggests it was placed for the purpose of war, or it could have been used to reinforce Forerunner combatants that were damaged while fighting the Flood elsewhere.

-Strategies-

Vehicles dominate this map up and down. Mobility is key. A group of locked Scorpions can essentially lock down a mountain pass, making it impassible. Expect to use your leader teleport/Pelican drop a lot to hit the enemy in the rear. As UNSC, try to place an Elephant in the middle Factory as quickly as possible to secure one of the most important locations on the map. It is also a good idea to control the CP's so you can strategically force an enemy's army to suffer economically. Scarabs are also very effective and good to use on this map as it has many large mountains and hills which only the scarab and air units can reach.

If using a member of the Covenant, using a leader as a one man army can be very effective if used correctly on this map, keeping a large force to defend your central base you can send a full upgraded leader to damage the enemy forces as best as possible, then either "Leader Recalling" him or simply moving him to a safe location, this saves the need for Engineers or needing to be healed by a UNSC allies Emergency Heal. This tactic often works best as the Arbiter as being in rage mode means he is more difficult to hit and can therefore do more damage before being forced to retreat.

Features

This map plays like the original Xbox 360 Game Halo Wars, with a few
changes. In other words, you
play as a race which advances through
tiers creating an army to eventually destroy the opposition.

Players may pick from 4 Distinct Races:

-The Mighty Brutes, a powerful race relying on
pure strength and power to win the game. They gather
resources at a slightly higher rate, but everything costs more ore,
power and tech points. Their units are the strongest in the game and they
trade precision and speed for raw HP/Armor/Damage. All their
vehicles use heavy engineering and designs to accomplish this
and their Leader is one of the most devastating Leaders between the races.

-The Covenant, a mixture of races forming a
very vast and technologically advanced species. Their units
and structures cost more than the other races but less than the brutes.
They focus on accuracy/mobility/damage and their vehicle and armor designs
show for it. They have have a vast amount of units to counter anything
thrown at them. They are the only race to have more than one Leader.

-The Flood, a biological virus which converts
hosts to spread it's infection. They excel at overwhelming the
opposition and expanding at alarming rates. Their buildings and
units are almost entirely biological and regenerate
slowly over time. They have intricate units which focus on
supporting each other and boosting the overall strength of the Flood.
Their units and buildings are the cheapest and train/construct the fastest
between the races.

-The UNSC, the last vestiges of the Human race who have
struggled to keep afloat against the overwhelming galactic threats.
They are the most balanced race in the game with both cheap and expensive units. They
do not have a particular focus but instead choose to improve all areas of combat.
They have 3 types of turrets to defend against any threat: Air/Ground/Vehicle
and are the only race to have special abilities that may be used at any time
from the Control Center. These are a few but not all of them: MAC Strike: (A high
powered round fired from orbit to cause massive damage.) Cryo Bomb:
(A nitrogen V-2 bomb dropped on a target unit which then explodes
dealing decent damage and freezing all units affected in place.)
Emergency Heal: (Heals all of your units on the map for a short period of
time.) ODST Drop Pods: (Calls down multiple ODST troops to combat the enemy.)

The counter system is essentially this:

-Infantry units are good vs. Air
-Air units are good vs. Vehicles
-Vehicle units are good vs. Infantry

The map supports up to 4 players and two Observers.
There are four CP's or 'Control Points' close to the center
of the map which provide bonus resources every 25 seconds.
At the very center is a Factory where players may purchase
Sentinels. Also, supplies are scattered throughout the map which provide
small income bonuses.

Screenshots:

Image Description:
Loading Screen

223599-albums7238-picture81952.png

223599-albums7238-picture81992.png

223599-albums7238-picture81991.png

223599-albums7238-picture81989.png

223599-albums7238-picture81990.png

Special Thanks:
  • The Hive Workshop for models/skins/etc.
  • -Kobas- for the Map Description Template
  • Black Hand Industries, Team Liquid, Black Badger, Superb Avalon, Refraction, GhostThruster and Fingolfin for the awesome Halo Models.

Race Development:
  • Flood: 100% Finished
  • Brutes: 100% Finished
  • Covenant: 100% Finished
  • UNSC: 100% Finished
  • Total Game Completion: 98%

AI Development: Disbanded*

Keywords:
Halo, Halo Wars, Modern Warfare, Space, Altered Melee, Strategy.
Contents

Halo Wars CE (Map)

Reviews
11:44, 4th May 2014 Orcnet: Map can be approved
presentation - 1/5
-terrible icons, many are just .blp skins
-some attack/armour type icons aren't in upg form
-barely any models look like what they look like in a halo game
-i noe theres a lack of halo models, but things like the hornet (being a gyrocopter) and the pelican (being just a bigger gyrocopter) shows uve put shit-all effort. there are many models out there that u are easy to find that wudve suited ur purposes
-no information on which race is which ie) somewhere it shudve had 'human = unsc', 'undead = flood' etc
-blizzard terrain

gameplay - 2/5
-can be fun, but not much replayability owing to a lack of features or decent visuals
-no fancy systems or game mechanics
-some units dealt imba damage to buildings, eg) the firebat which shud not be called a firebat firstly (they are either called flamethrowers or hellbringers) and secondly they shud be anti-personnel not do good dps to buildings eg2) 3000 range on the locust just no
-why do buildings cost food? that cud work for towers, but its just limiting a player's choice with production buildings

concept - 1/5
-no storyline, derived from halo wars game which is forgivable but...
-uve introduced nothing new or compelling. i honestly cudve made this map in 1 hour using the object editor. its warcraft 3 with halo names and badly tinted warcraft 3 models (without heroes)

overall - 4/15 = 1.33/5 = 1/5
-insufficient quality for approval imo. its ugly, its dull and uninspired, and it lacked any input of effort. 10 years ago in the modding community, this map might have been a 3/5 at most. im sorry if i am being mean but this is my honest feedback, u seem like an ambitious mapper but u do need to improve ur mapping skills.

SuperbAvalon in a huge fucking VM which I've now deleted because it takes the whole of my profile up said:
Presentation:
-Terrible Icons (Yes, the .blp and Upg is something I'll have to fix. No denying that.)
-Models (There are a very limited amount of Halo Models haha I'm looking toward Fingolfin for most of them, but you're right. I could search for ones similar to them on THW. However, your criticism went mostly for the UNSC race. They are only 70% done. There is a whole 30% of balancing, renaming, modeling and other such work to be done.)
-No Info on Race (I've already updated that. They now say which race they are.)
-Blizzard Tile (I want to keep it Blizzard tile. It's supposed to be like an altered melee map. And Blizzard did a good job on that one. Just personal preference. I'm sure imported tile would look better but they're not playing it for the scenery :p)
-look, the very fact that u admit u need to fix crap like that proves my point; u havent put much effort at all into the map and u shudnt upload it onto the hive until u have.
-tile != terrain. the terrain itself looks nothing like halo, but u cud easily make a terrain using only blizzard tiles. furthermore, the terrain looks hideous. take a look at ur screenshots and honestly tell me u think the random blobs of lava and sunken ruins tiles fit in well.

Gameplay:
-Lack of Replayability (This map is created mostly for BHI, Team Liquid and our clan on wc3 to host on MMH. But we also want it on THW so other players can experience it. It's not finished but everyone who has Beta tested it said they have liked it a lot. Is your opinion biased is some way or do you really feel like the map is trash..?
-No Fancy Systems or Mechanics (Like what?)
-Some units dealt Imba damage or Damage to Buildings (Imba? I know it means overpowered but explain a little more please :p And again, it's mostly from UNSC, right? If you have the time, can you include which units they were? Others are supposed to be this way. Such as the wraith, Scarab and Locust. If you played Halo Wars, the Locust had a very long range. We're trying to balance it's stats and cost to even out it's damage and range but it's basically where we want it. Also, the Flood Has almost all Biological units which is very susceptible to Flamethrowers. It's meant to be this way. The Flamethrower just has to be balanced.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwdUPySnk4

Doesn't exactly show off the Locust range but it is pretty close, trust me.

-Buildings Cost Food [Power] (In Halo Wars, they cost power. Just trying to follow it's gameplay mechanics.)
-that's entirely irrelevant to whether the map is good, or even approvable. i am biased, but this bias actually helps me make an objective review. see, i love halo a lot and when i see a halo map i wud much prefer it to be good than trash. i have also had experience playing halo wars and can say this mod is nothing like it
-like how about you make up your own fancy systems or mechanics? ask yourself "like what?"
-have u tested the flamethrower ingame? he burns buildings ridiculously fast.
-just because a mechanic or unit works in halo wars doesnt mean that system translates well into a wc3 map

Concept:
-No Storyline (It's Halo Wars! Haha there's already a storyline, do we really need to elaborate? I'll put it in the description if you'd like, but this is made for people who've already played the game and want to see it on Wc3.
-You've Introduced Nothing New or Compelling (This is supposed to be akin to an altered melee. We weren't really going for anything wildly fancy. Is there something you had in mind we should add? And saying you could have made the map in one day and it's basically shit is a bit rude. I mean, what if someone like -Kobas- or another skilled map creator came and said all of your projects were shit and he could do them in a day? I don't take offense but that's pretty harsh Ghost.
-this wasnt a complaint, in fact i said it is 'forgivable'. u dont need to add a storyline if u dont want to. u didnt lose any points for those
-stop looking at it like i want you to improve this map for me. look at it like you want you to improve this map for you.
-it is indeed rude, but a once wise man named pyramidhe@d said - and im paraphrasing - "if u want a fat guy to lose weight do you tell him nicely and spoonfeed him? no you call him a fatass" so whilst its disrespectful to say what i said, it is much more motivational and, clearly, impactual to you than if i were to say "man this map cud use a lil improvement if u really wanted it but do watever u want man".
-and funnily enough, that exact scenario happened to me. so believe me when i say im not putting u down because i m an obnoxious elitist, i was once new to the hive too and many of my resourcese received harsh criticism. i thought they were being unnecessarily rude and harsh too. i invoked many of the arguments u used. but looking back on it, i realised i was indeed wrong and that my resources were indeed crappy, which drove me to try improve my stuff.

Overall
-Insufficient (I humbly ask you reevaluate your judgement. Given a little more time this could be a solid 10/15 give or take. This is not one of those projects people say they will do, start up, then it dies quietly after a month. We mean to finish this and finish it quickly with minimal issues. I hope I wasn't too stern or rash in my reply and I hope you took the time to read it!)
-note that i didnt rate this map 'officially' yet. i may be a cruel bastard, but i try to be a fair one. i can say fairly and truthfully, this map as of this moment does not deserve anything close to 10/15, but i also know that u can improve the map over time.

in conclusion, i dont mind if u take offense to what i say. but i do not mean to offend, i aim only to provide genuine criticism. its pretty rare for me to review maps too unless they have picked my interest.

Level 15
What a wall...
Well, you can try to learn how to be a good reviewers....

Trying to get Halo on Warcraft is so hard, you need to find custom models that suitable for that.

Level 21
Sorry but this map is terrible! That's why:-

- Many icons are blp icons which are included in some models, so if I pause the game, they turn green and they have no DISBTN icons to fix this grave mistake
- Plenty of icons do not really fit their models e.g Banshee, Ghost, Jackal... and what makes me mad is that some units actually have a fitting icon like Brute Berserker, Infested Scorpion, Combat Form...
- Talking about the unit "Combat Form", why are there two units with this name in the Flood race?
- Your terrain lacks of tile variation. The snowy part has only Snow and Ice while it should also have Rocky Snow and Northrend Grass instead of some Sunken Ruins Dark Grass. Also, I find that Brick and Lava don't fit the middle place
- You tried to make everything look futuristic, but you really failed. There are a lot of futuristic models on the Hive so why did you use models like Flying Machine and Siege Engine for futuristic machines?
- Not good that there isn't an AI ready. I read the description and I know it's not complete yet but you should've finished it before uploading because the game is very boring as no one will attack me
- Too many other bad issues so I'll go to suggestions

SUGGESTIONS:-
- The icons MUST NEVER turn green when you pause the game so NEVER USE blp icons included with models
- Icons MUST fit their models or AT LEAST be a bit similar to them
- I recommend you to remove all Dark Grass and to use more Rocky Snow and Northrend Grass on the snowy places. In the middle part, replace all tiles with Dirt, it'll look much better. For the Radar Centers, remove all Dark Grass. Then, try to find a tile which fits the Dirt
- Every unit in one race MUST have different names, so you must give one of the two "Combat Forms" another name
- Complete the AI as soon as possible

OVERALL RESULT:-
Unluckily, this map is really awful and needs urgently to be updated. Till now, 1/5 and vote for REJECTION!