• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What an orpg needs to be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
this thread is basically a summary of all useful ideas about the features of a good orpg. So first something basic:

• it could be multiplayer
  • it needs an equipment and maybe an attachment system
  • it has to have many well balanced classes
  • it should have a talent system
  • a storyline of some kind witch is done through quests
  • it would be nice if it has a sandbox system
  • camera zoom in and out system
  • well done towns with lots of enterable houses
  • a world map
  • maybe a custom ui
  • a talk system for sure
  • mount system (optional)

Last edited:
Level 6
Lol such a failure..

it needs to be multiplayer - Orly? Isn't that QUITE obvious.
it needs an equipment and an attachment system - Lol why would it need an attachment system? Take a look at Twilight's Eve.
a world map - No?
camera zoom in and out system - Why?
mount system - Go for it, its harder than you think

And don't tell people what to do, if you can't do it yourself, it sounds stupid.

Level 7
lol sry if i offended you
pls be merciful
about that what you said
mount system is not a have
a world map is cool and needed
and attachment system is cool should be implemented if you have time and nerves for it

Last edited:
Level 2
I think you can drop most of those features and still make a great if not the best orpg ever made so far.

Things attachments and mounts are suggar not more. Even walkable houses, talksystem etc arent really neccessary. You really need:
Good Balance
- good balance throughout the whole game. Some hero might be better than another at certain stages of the game but no hero is better overall than another. Especially in the endgame everyone should be usefull.
- good balanced quests difficulty increasing slow but steadily, no quest is very hard to impossible without a certain hero
- good scaling with the number of players. Of cause you can choose a minimum amount of players but beyond that the difficulty should remain the same regardless of the amount of players.

Good Story/Questline
- there should be a good story motivating the players to do certain things (like quests, special events ...)
- here should be something new to do in every moment of gametime. Always a new quest to do, a new region to explore, new skills or items to be gained
- this should not be achieved by doing lots of repeatable grinding quests. Like you need level 35 to unlock the the next area but you are only 33 after doing all quests so you have to do the last "kill 25 of something" three more times.
- in fact i m not sure if locked areas and grinding quests cant be omitted all together, though you need to create other content then...

AND well I wanted to mention something else but lost it somewhere on the way :D As you can see I think your ORPG mainly needs to be a good and fun game everything else comes later. Of cause a zoom-system wont hurt and attachments are nice to have, but if you dont feel like it you can still make an awesome orpg without them.
Just compare WC3 to some random free-to-play MMORPG. Why do you think someone wants to play your WC3-ORPG and not the MMO ? The later will have much better grafics, a bigger world and many more things you dont have, still yours might be more fun.

Level 7
I think you can drop most of those features and still make a great if not the best orpg ever made so far.

Things attachments and mounts are suggar not more. Even walkable houses, talksystem etc arent really neccessary. You really need:
Good Balance
- good balance throughout the whole game. Some hero might be better than another at certain stages of the game but no hero is better overall than another. Especially in the endgame everyone should be usefull.
- good balanced quests difficulty increasing slow but steadily, no quest is very hard to impossible without a certain hero
- good scaling with the number of players. Of cause you can choose a minimum amount of players but beyond that the difficulty should remain the same regardless of the amount of players.

Good Story/Questline
- there should be a good story motivating the players to do certain things (like quests, special events ...)
- here should be something new to do in every moment of gametime. Always a new quest to do, a new region to explore, new skills or items to be gained
- this should not be achieved by doing lots of repeatable grinding quests. Like you need level 35 to unlock the the next area but you are only 33 after doing all quests so you have to do the last "kill 25 of something" three more times.
- in fact i m not sure if locked areas and grinding quests cant be omitted all together, though you need to create other content then...

AND well I wanted to mention something else but lost it somewhere on the way :D As you can see I think your ORPG mainly needs to be a good and fun game everything else comes later. Of cause a zoom-system wont hurt and attachments are nice to have, but if you dont feel like it you can still make an awesome orpg without them.
Just compare WC3 to some random free-to-play MMORPG. Why do you think someone wants to play your WC3-ORPG and not the MMO ? The later will have much better grafics, a bigger world and many more things you dont have, still yours might be more fun.

thank you that is what is needed on this thread

+ rep

Level 2
I can help you with triggers. I will help you to make good full screen inventory, talk system, attachment system, talent system, camera system and spells in GUI. If you need i have good ideas for class and spells too.
P.S. I am from Serbia

Level 18
On another thread:

ok about the attribute system i already have one similar to the one in tkok
and for the fighting system i have some ideas about adding shields
and weight to weapons witch could effect attack speed

The truth is that this idea is in my ORPG (but you can use it aswell :p) which is so unoriginal that I'm ashamed to release it =D

Other things I had:
Armours were also reducing movement speed. Hmm what else ? Yeah, each weapon type had a critical level (Low, Typical, Intense, Killing, Deadly). And all wands/staff (caster weapons) gives a different mana regeneration rate.

Also you can do an ability system which allow you to learn abilities everywhere (I used NPC, each has several abilities depending on its class that he was able to teach you). So heroes was starting without abilities (but they could learn some at their starting point, then in every town they visit).

I gave you those idea because I think there are not in so many RPG, I'm maybe going to use them when I will make a new one, but you can use them anyway :)

Level 7
Also you can do an ability system which allow you to learn abilities everywhere (I used NPC, each has several abilities depending on its class that he was able to teach you). So heroes was starting without abilities (but they could learn some at their starting point, then in every town they visit).

i have classes and talent trees
but this could be useful for professions
(like you can learn smithing from different smithers
and each has a specialty )

+ rep for answering an some nice ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.