• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Heart of the Blackest Night - Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I will soon post, which positions are free in a new thread in the Map Development forum.
Terraining and triggering positions are full.
[TD][/TD]

Heart of the Blackest Night
Aeon of Strife

Two factions struggle for supremacy in the land of eternal night. The "Heart of the Night" is a powerful source of energy to conquer.
The factions are balanced. Only you are the difference in the decision which side will win the war. To be continued …
------------------------

Background

There is no real definition of an AoS map, but standard maps of this type consists of PVP gameplay where two teams of heroes support their respective AI-controlled armies in the battle of destroying the enemy’s base.
When I first started updating my old map I was playing World of Warcraft at the same time. During playing the battleground „Eye of the Storm" I thought about it as an AoS map and playing Cloudwolfs’ Cataclysm AoS inspired me to use some elements of his map and implement them in my map.
So what basically differentiates this project from others?
  • Gaining points per second
  • Capturing something like a flag
  • Taking control of control points
The setting of the map terrain will be orientated on maps like booodys’ diablo 3 rpg maps, Cloudwolfs’ AoS map and N1ghthawks’ Unreal Legends map design http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/newgen-node-aos-match-171141/
I suggest the name “Heart of the Blackest Night”, because the corresponding thing to capture a flag will be an energy orb at the center of the map (heart) and I am thinking of locking the daytime to night. Light effects and spells will look better and I think this will support cool atmosphere.

Concept

The basic information:
  • 12 Players in two teams equals 6 players for each side. This is possible due to using of the four neutral players.
  • The first team gains a special number of points (e.g. 1600 Points) wins the game
  • 4 control points, the teams get points every second for each controls in control
  • 1 energy orb in the middle , which one can capture and get points depending on the number of control points the team controls
  • (optional destroying enemy base)
Player 1 need to be the host, who chooses the game modes and can regulate other important functions.

After choosing the game modes one can choose a hero. If one has chosen a hero, one has to wait in the team base until every non-NPC player has chosen his or her hero.
Now players should choose the tactic and positions they want to take. For example: if there are six players in one team, two players take the left lane, two players take the right lane and two players try to capture the flag.
If a hero dies the player can choose where he wants to revive.
If one team has won the game, there is the possibility to re-start the game without leaving the map.

Features

Hero choosing system
Like -Kobas-
There will be a mode with the option choosing ingame a different hero like one does in Counterstrike.

Resurrection system
In most AoS maps if a hero dies, one gets a calculated time until the hero revives. So every hero has its own resurrection time. In this project the resurrection comes in repeating waves. Every 40 seconds all dead heroes revive at the nearest resurrection point except one chooses a different resurrection point. There are five possible resurrection points for each player.
Nearby every of the four outposts is resurrection point and the team base. One can choose a resurrection point in the re-spawn menu. The way how you open the re-spawn menu is not clear at the moment. A possible conclusion could be pressing the ESC key.
In addition it will be possible to see the energy orb position on the map in this menu.
This is comparable to EAs’ Battlefield.

Item buying system
I am not sure yet how buying items will be implemented, maybe at first the standard model and later a more complex but easier to handle system. (League of Legends?)

Capture the Flag
Or capture the energy orb in this case. I suggest if a hero is near enough and the player presses right-click on the orb, the orb will follow the hero until he or she is dead. During this time he or she cannot teleport. If the hero dies before taking the orb to a base, there are five seconds where another player can right-click on the orb. If a team member right-click on the orb, the orb will follow him or her. If an enemy right-click on the orb, the orb returns to the middle. After these five seconds the orb returns automatically to the middle.

Control Points
Control Points are energy orbs looking similar to the energy orb in the middle but they have the team color which controls them at the moment. One gets control over a control point by attacking and destroying an enemy one. After destroying the old control point a new friendly control point appears, which gives bonuses with auras and additional defender units.

Next Gen Terrain
The terrain will be comparable design you usually find in RPGs like …

(These are only reference pictures!)

The way of working
These are phases the map will go through:

workphases.png

Concept phase
This is the actual status of the project. Here one does research and is looking if it is possible to make this project by analyzing other maps or games, asking third persons about their opinion. Because of this I post my Concept in the Idea factory forum first.
  • t is a map idea
  • project is not yet in development
  • and I have no team yet
When the concept is finished and members are found one can start working on a working plan, where one can state which system or which resource one has to make first before another thing can be build.

Team building phase
When the brief direction of the project is clear one can start to recruit. There will be a thread in the Project Recruiting Forum then. A team requires communication. Not just text will be send, therefore one has to find a suitable platform like a Hiveworkshop-group or a Facebook-group.
There are different positions which need to be filled with one or more persons and team members can fill one or more positions.
Some position can be seen as sub-teams where the members have to work closer together as other positions.
Leading Position
  • Managing function
  • Co-Leader possible
  • contact person for the members
  • deciding about what we can do intern or extern -> outsourcing
Terraining Position
Triggering Position
  • GUI/MUI
  • JASS
  • vJASS
Designing Position
  • 2D Art (skins, icons, banner, loading screen, mini maps, web design elements, interface, etc.)

• 3D Art (models, effects, miscellaneous, etc.)
Idea and Creative Position
  • Lore, heroes, items, abilities, gameplay, etc.
Syntax Correction and Translator Position
Because this project is aimed to be an international project, project members of different origins could have problems with the English language. Therefore this project could need someone who can correct or translate content.
Testing Position
This position is crucial for the balance of heroes, spells, items, etc. in a single player or multiplayer game.
Supporting Position
This position does not have to be a direct member but he or she is important too. A supporter generates attention and keeps the project alive, trough asking questions about the outcome or something like that. Nearly every commend can help the project.

Development
When the team is found, the development phase can start.
To avoid loss of data and stops of development because one member needs time off, the work will be shared by splitting the work in different maps
Alpha map
This map will be the first map created. It is the start point from where the single members start working on triggers, terrains, heroes, items etc. It is a brief low detailed map which only basis trigger and has the purpose of showing the size of the map and having an example testing map.
Trigger maps
These maps are copies of the alpha map with minimalistic content. The purpose of these maps is to create single content like heroes or systems without the disadvantage of paying attention to a load of other triggers which could cause problems.
Content map
This is the second stage of the alpha map where all systems, triggers, heroes, abilities and items are being gathered first. In this map the different resources will be fit together.
Terrain map
This is a parallel map to the content map, where terrainer work unhindered on the different areas of the map.
Beta map
This map is the unification of the Content and the Terrain map. The purpose of this map is the use for first online tests. After the creation of this map there won’t be any further Content or Terrain map. The content of trigger maps will be imported directly to the Beta map. Improvements on the different systems etc. will be done only in this map.

Pre-Run
This is the first phase where actual playing happens. All testers and supporters will be asked for joining beta gaming sessions. In this phase probable much updating must be done to avoid frustration of the players.
One also must decide where and how the beta will be published. Besides Hiveworkshop, there are many forums even non-English speaking websites where the pre-run can go through. That needs a person who is able to represent the project.

Release phase
The final stage is the moment when everyone is glad and party all day. After this stage there will be updates, which will balance the game and bring new content.
[/TD][/tr]
[td]----------------------------[/td]

I am planning to start recruiting and creating an alpha map at the 5th of October.

Thank you for reading :ogre_haosis: (Please tell me if you found grammar mistakes ^^)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.