• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6 - The First Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture62464.png

160036-albums4747-picture62466.png

The First Invasion

..."Sargeras gathered his vast Burning Legion and made his way towards the unsuspecting world of Azeroth. The Legion was composed of a million screaming demons, all ripped from the far corners of the universe, and the demons hungered for conquest. (...) Sargeras began his catastrophic invasion of Azeroth. The warrior-demons of the Burning Legion stormed into the world through the Well of Eternity and laid siege to the night elves' sleeping cities..."

Your city is under attack by the Burning Legion! Knowing the story of the Burning Legion and the abilities of its high grade commanders, create a hero that will help with the defenses of your city!

160036-albums4747-picture59725.png

• No submission may violate the Hiveworkshop Rules and Spells Rules.
  • Teams are not allowed; the entire hero must be made by a single user. However, you're able to use any resources publicly available in The HiveWorkshop database, except for spells.
  • The hero must have a total of 4 skills. You can use any combination, all passive, all active, three active and one passive, anything, as long as it offers a creative approach to the play style. However, the three of them must be regular, while one of them must be an ultimate, gained at level 6, just like default Warcraft III.
    • You are allowed to use sub-spells, as long as the total count equals to 1 (one) and the sub-spell itself is not more powerful than the root spell.
  • The spells can be made using GUI, JASS, vJASS, Zinc or just significant object editor work. One that is not familiar with all of the listed languages cannot be appointed as a judge.
  • All spells must have been made after the start of this contest; no previous work is allowed.
  • You are allowed to use any system, as long as it does enhance the functionality of the spell and it is bug free. For questions regarding this subject, feel free to ask within this thread whether the said system is useable.
  • You're allowed only one submission.
    • Any submission must follow a Work In Progress (WiP), before it is published and labelled as the final piece.

160036-albums4747-picture59735.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

160036-albums4747-picture59734.png

None yet! If you are interested in judging, please contact me. Appointed judges must have previous experience in spell-making, familiarity with the Object Editor and Trigger Editor themselves, knowledge of GUI, Jass, vJass, Zinc, in case each of those languages are used in the submissions.

160036-albums4747-picture59736.png

Concept
How interesting is the hero to play with? How well does it bind with the contest's theme?/10

Coding
Is the hero bug and lag free? How well was the coding executed?/10

Synergy
How well do the abilities work with each other? Do they fit with the theme of the hero?/10

Balance
How balanced the hero is? Is it extremely weak to own or extremely hard to face?/10

Aesthetics
How good-looking the hero is? How well their appearance is fitting with the icons? Are the tooltips self-explanatory?/5
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

160036-albums4747-picture59727.png

The contest shall begin on 1st of November, 2012 and conclude on 1st of December, 2012 [23:59 UTM].

Last edited:
Level 33
Your city is under attack by the Burning Legion! Knowing the story of the Burning Legion and the abilities of its high grade commanders, create a hero that will help with the defenses of your city!
So... we must read and understand the lore behind "the story of Burning Legion" first before actually making the spell to fit the theme ?
Awww :(

Level 25
I'm in.

Regarding the balance point; should we balance our heroes in relation to standard Warcraft 3 units, the aim being a hero that can fit seamlessly into one of the races?

So... we must read and understand the lore behind "the story of Burning Legion" first before actually making the spell to fit the theme ?
Awww :(

I'm going to go with the lore of Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 for this. I don't consider WoW "canon".

Level 33
I would like to request for a theme-change: Spell(s) that is related to defend a fortress/base.

Because, not everyone truly understands the lore (like me), and it has been quite unfair for those who do not understand the lore :(

Please change it T_T

@defskull,

No, you don't really have to know the actual lore of the invasion. The quote up there gives you a tip of what you should be designing as a hero; remember, the Burning Legion is consisted of demons, succubi, imps, voidwalkers, fel stalkers, infernals, satyrs, etc.

You are fighting against these creatures, what would the concept of the hero be? It's not a quiz, because that would imply one correct concept - when there are many concepts that you can try -.

@Luorax,

The hero should be balanced and interesting. To my experience, full passive skillset is boring. The default heroes (most of them) go with 3 skills active and 1 passive. It's your call.

@ruleofiron99,

Indeed; it should be balanced that way.

• Actions
    • Set Caster = (Triggering unit)
    • Set Point1 = (Position of Caster)
    • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Triggering player) at Point1, facing Default Building Facing Degrees
    • Set Dummy = (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Add DummyAbility to Dummy
    • Unit - Set level of DummyAbility for Dummy to (Level of (Ability being cast) for Caster)
    • Unit - Order Dummy to XXX Point1
    • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to Dummy
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point1)

Level 33
Does creating a background story about the Hero in the test map helps boost mark ?
If so, noooooooooooooo~~~~
I am not good in writing essays.

I do really hope that this contest is focused on Spells Set (that fits the theme - Defend A Base), not the Hero (OR lore) itself.

Please tell me this is only to depict example of a situation;
The warrior-demons of the Burning Legion stormed into the world through the Well of Eternity and laid siege to the night elves' sleeping cities..."
So... do we have to create Night Elves-based Heroes (based on lore) to carry the spells ?

I'm asking so many questions about this because I want to be sure not to drift away from the "theme".

Oh, I see... well having a background story for the concept (in this case the BL invasion) makes its easier I believe...

as for the questions of a few, most of them are already answered by the mechanics... :)

Pharoah_ said:

The hero must have a total of 4 skills. You can use any combination, all passive, all active, three active and one passive, anything, as long as it offers a creative approach to the play style. However, the three of them must be regular, while one of them must be an ultimate, gained at level 6, just like default Warcraft III.

Does creating a background story about the Hero in the test map helps boost mark ?
If so, noooooooooooooo~~~~
I am not good in writing essays.

Too bad for you :p
But seriously, this is a hero contest, there is nothing bad to take care of a good backstory. However, if you just look at the criterias, you'll see that no more than 5 points are appointed to Aesthetics, which includes more stuff than only backstory.

Oh, and I thing I'll join. I should have enough time for it :D

Level 7
can the hero be the 'main' hero in the event? (like Malfurion Stormrage)

but in this case i'm going to make Alexstrasza, does it can be done???

Level 33
This is why I'm so concerned about "lore" because I don't actually know/understand/read the lore.
That's why I'm emphasizing on the question "does the Hero must have a good background story based on actual lore that happens on X Event (which in this case, defending Azeroth ?).

I do really wanna know does "theme" applies to choosing which Hero to carry the spells ?

Is it really important ?

I only think about creating Spells Set that is used to defend a city - while maintaining the balance of the spell efficiency.

I don't really care about the lore because I don't know them pretty much but I'm afraid that this "don't really care" will decrease my marking point :(

Okay, first things first. You don't have to create a background story, it's completely optional. Consequently, a self-made story, that follows the presentation of the hero, will not be reviewed neither give its author extra credit.

I am glad that this has created some fuss around the lore, because it may motivate people to learn more about the most basic events of the Warcraft universe. Reminder, the next contest will be the Second Invasion, but a bit tweaked, into a not so predictable requirement.

If I had just made the theme call random heroes into defending a city, it would have no theme. So, the First Invasion calls you all to create a hero that would efficiently stand -in a balanced way- against a demonic creature that belongs in the Burning Legion. This means that high-tech/demonic/necromantic/shadow heroes are excluded, mainly because the latter three would be part of the Burning Legion in the first place. The high-tech one is out of concept anyway.

The lore speaks of the elven cities, but the heroes in the defenses don't necessarily need to be Elves; they can be any race, except the races that were consisting the Legion itself.

Finally, you don't need to acknowledge the lore itself to join this contest. Just create a custom hero and start working on them and their spells.

These are the main tips I can give you. The rest is up to your imagination.

Level 25
when i figure the blasted front-and-back "impale" i should post up a WIP map..

does anyone have a clue how? that is, if that doesn't disqualify me..

The simplest way to do it is:
Have a impale ability. Cast range lets say 800.
If the missile speed is 800 it should reach it's target in 1 second.

So what you do is cast it, then start a timer or some other way you would prefer, you could use the dummy death for example. Create a dummy at target point, save original X/Y to it's handle, then set expiration timer to RANGE/MISSILE_SPEED and when it dies fire another impale towards the cast x/y.

These are the GUI ways, a simple timer will do it in jass, just use the duration/expiration period as RANGE/MISSILE_SPEED.

Too bad this contest starts just before my exams... :(
I might still enter though :p

Also, what must be in the demo map that contains our hero? Just the hero and some creeps to attack and allies to cast spells on?

Anything that will allow the reviewer to instantly test the skills. You can also create a small campaign-kind. It won't offer you bonus to the total score though, just how you've imagined the hero to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.