• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What knowledge is required to develop a WarCraft map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I guess i should mention that i meant programming skills/knowledge. But i guess that part is also included in there?:)

Anyway, thank you, ill take your advise!

@LordDz
Not always the case though (Jass part). Sure it can bring comfort, especially if you used to C or something similar.

@Manipulation
1. Terrain Skill
2. Triggering (GUI/Jass/Jass Extensions)
3. Modelling
4. Icon making

Though if you have people in those expertise, you don't need to completely master it. At least having some skills would help in case having a team project, being able to lower the workload.

Level 15
Look for tutorials, they help a lot. And other maps it they are not protected.

First, learn how to make a good terrain, with various tilesets, matching doodads.

Second, make new units, heroes, with unique abilities. Also search models and icons for them.

Third, plan the gameplay. This is going to be the hardest, learn how to make triggers, and Jass. Tutorials, and the world editor zone forum can help you a lot.
Try to make the map replayable. Make it entertaining, you can make cinematics in the beginning. make some different heroes. If you make a campaign, make entertaining and interesting quest, not repeatitive.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.