• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
attachment.php

Creating epic maps takes a lot of time and dedication, are they to depict a lot of ideas and detail in order to build up a coherent, strong personal piece of art. This event shall offer some diversion and the chance to try out something new, maybe even be inspired and broaden one's scope.

We have had this on inwarcraft.de before, with only 3 hours of duration, but since Hiveworkshop is an international website, its users are within different time zones and we would like to appeal to everyone, which is why at least for starters we will go with 24 hours.

The idea is to launch a new map just within this span of time and display the (preferably playable) result at the end of the day, meaning it will be posted in this thread, we can discuss it. However, there will be no official rating. This is no contest. Instead, the event will also be connected to the Funmap Evening, which you may optionally attend, so among other stuff, we can view the results in group afterwards.

To add the necessary spice, enforce the time limit and grant an outset for what to create, there are restrictions:
Shortly before the clock starts, I will announce two genres and a small set of key words I have rolled. You are to pick at least one genre and incorporate one (updated since round 4) the key words in your map.
Other than that, you are allowed to import any resources, use any tools, even work together if you want to. Just abide by the general Hiveworkshop Rules (give credits, no offensive/obscene content, no malware etc.).

Update since round 4: You only have to integrate one of the key words.
You may continue one of the old Challenge maps you have entered before. In this case, you only have to add the key word of the current round respectively match it in your map. Additionally, you should not work on this project actively currently.

Round 9 (not yet announced)

Map making challenge this Friday at 5:30 UTC to Saturday 5:30 UTC (August 5-6 2016). This time hosted by Cokemonkey11. Link to latest challenge post: Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Feel free to ask any questions and have fun.

attachment.php

Round 8

Announcement Note

Okay, next challenge is 6th to 7th May (8.30 to 8.30 pm, UTC+2), see timer.

Since Footmen Wars and Misc were chosen last time, they will be blocked for this round.

153935d1460730707-wc3-fun-mapmaking-challenge-tinkerannouncement.png

[c]aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival
escape

footmen wars
misc

rpg/adventure
tower defense

Newcomers should read the first post for rules. The event concludes with a Funmap Evening half an hour after the deadline.

Announcement Note

With a little bit of delay Round #8 commences now:

Rolled genres:
Survival
Arena

Rolled keywords:
Lair
Life/Death

Good luck to everyone participating.

Deadline timer

Round 7

Merry Easter, you bunnies,

It's time for another Mapmaking Challenge. Next weekend at that already, from 10th to 11th of April, 8:30 pm to 8:30 pm (UTC+2), Timer.

Last time we had arena and aoen. So the genre pool for this round now looks like this (two of the green options will be rolled when the event begins):

aeon
arena

capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

#2:
Excuse the delay, ofc you get the delay time as bonus.

So here are the rolled genres:

• footmen wars
  • misc

and keywords:
  • crystals
  • rebellion/resistance

Good luck!

Round 6

Okay, round #6 is to see the life of day at Friday 12th to Saturday 13th, 8pm to 8pm (UTC+1), see timer.

Genres and keywords are to be posted up to 15min before start.

Genre pool for this round (from which 2 will be rolled):

aeon
arena

capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars

misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Last MMC for this year starting...

genres:

• Arena
  • Aeon

keywords:

• Monument/Memorial
  • Mountains

ending timer

Replays: Index of /FA_13_12_2014
Round 5

As you may have seen in the ticker, round #5 is scheduled for October 31st/November 1st. Meanwhile daylight saving time will end here, so it's UTC+1 then. Anyway, the timer considers it. So it will again be from 8pm (UTC+1) to 8pm of the following day. An hour afterwards we can playtest the results at a funmap evening.

Genres and keywords are to be posted up to 15min before start.

aeon
arena
capture the flag

survival
escape

footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Everything else is like in the last round, no rule changes this time.

Round 5 starting...

genres:
  • capture the flag
  • misc

keywords:
  • desert
  • elves

Replays: bplaced - Webspace & Webhosting // 2GB Freehost :: The place for your webspace
Round 4

Back to business. The next Challenge can take place. Here's a poll for dates in August. In any case it will be from 8pm to 8pm (UTC+2) of the next day.

This will be the 4th round and as already previously mentioned, there are rule changes:

• The amount of needed key words is reduced to 1 (from 2). There will still be 2 key words to choose from.
  • You may revive and continue one of the entries of your own you did in an earlier Challenge. The conditions are that you are not currently working on the project and that you insert/match the key word criteria of the current round.
  • As you may have presumed from the changed time range, the Challenge no longer overlaps with the Funmap Evening. Infact, there is one hour break time in between.

aeon
arena

capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars

misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Update: Poll ended. The 4th round of the Challenge will be held from 15th to 16th August 8pm to 8pm (UTC+2). Here is an online countdown timer.

Since WaterKnight is currently not able to post the rolled results to this Thread, even though this Challenge starts in 10 minutes, I will post it temporarely for him:

Rolled Genres:
  • Survival
  • Escape

Rolled Keywords:
  • Eruption/Birth
  • Hate/Love

This is the new Countdown that indicates the end of the Challenge (24 hours from now).

1 hour after that, the funmap-evening will take place, where we will test all entries (if possible).

Have fun and create some good entries!

Round 3

The die is cast. The next mapmaking challenge round is scheduled on 18th (9.30pm (UTC+2)) to 19th (9.30pm (UTC+2)) with subsequent Funmap Evening.

The pool of genres this round from which two will be rolled shortly before the event starts:

aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival

escape
footmen wars
misc

rpg/adventure
tower defense

There will be two keywords again.

The 3rd round of the Mapmaking Challenge starts now.

rolled genres:

• Misc
  • Capture the Flag

rolled keywords:

• ritual
  • beach

KelThusad - Orc Island CtF
Cokemonkey11 - Sirensong
LordDz - CTF Melee
LordDz - Easter Vacation
WaterKnight - The Beach Bicker
Crigges - Beachrace
Dat-C3 - Beachball
Kari0003, peq & Frotty - Capture the Sheep Replay

Round 2

The event will be held in February from Friday 21st to Saturday 22nd, the time of day offset being half an hour earlier than last time, so from 10pm to 10pm (UTC+1).

There will be keywords again but two at maximum. Both of the genres that were rolled last time will be blocked this round and would be restored in a third one.

aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars

misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

An associated Funmap Evening will be launched on the 2nd day 9pm.

So, the 2nd round of the mapmaking challenge will start now. I have just rolled the conditions:

Choose at least one of those two genres:

• escape
  • rpg/adventure

Try to integrate the following key words:

• mystical
  • gold/minerals

You have a day worth of time, until 22nd Saturday 10pm UTC+1.

Round 1

The first challenge takes place from 20th December 10:30pm (UTC+1) to 21st December 10:30pm (UTC+1). The associated Funmap Evening begins at 21st December 9pm (UTC+1). The small overlapping being on purpose.

So it starts.

Here the genres and key words:

Genres:
Aeon/AoS
Misc

Key words:
Mirror
Sea
Tree

@Tickles: No, it does not have to be associated with the Funmap Evening.

edit: Explanation for misc: Any alternative mini game concept that does not belong into the other categories. Those are:

aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Attachments

• mapChallenge.jpg
    mapChallenge.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 3,874
  • mapChallengeChase.gif
    mapChallengeChase.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,756
  • tinkerAnnouncement.png
    tinkerAnnouncement.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 902
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
So it starts.

Here the genres and key words:

Genres:
Aeon/AoS
Misc

Key words:
Mirror
Sea
Tree

@Tickles: No, it does not have to be associated with the Funmap Evening.

edit: Explanation for misc: Any alternative mini game concept that does not belong into the other categories. Those are:

aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Level 25
Full of bugs and cool features!
Late! But since this isn't really a contest, and you're the only one who made anything AoS-related with more obvious uses of all the key words, that pretty much makes up for it :psmile:

Based on all of our entries, I think it's safe to say that this isn't one of the best ways to come up with even halfway decent playable maps. At least it's good inspiration for quick ideas. I even feel the urge to try mine out on a more global scale.

Level 23
Late! But since this isn't really a contest, and you're the only one who made anything AoS-related with more obvious uses of all the key words, that pretty much makes up for it :psmile:

Based on all of our entries, I think it's safe to say that this isn't one of the best ways to come up with even halfway decent playable maps. At least it's good inspiration for quick ideas. I even feel the urge to try mine out on a more global scale.

A 6player version was rdy in time, but I upped the slots so everyone could play.
That caused even more bugs and well, I didnt have time to upload it here.

Sadly noone else made an aos map.

Of course it's notthe best way, but it was a lot of fun. You also learn better time-management and working under pressure;)
I personally like that I can just leave the map as it is,just like the 3h maps we did before.

I think I did the best job this time around... Thanks for the fun contest/challenge! It was really fun and I hope for more as well for everyone to keep trying them too.

By the way Tickles I didn't see mirror in your entry and I didn't see sea in Frotty's however I saw a pond. =)

Not many people work well with very limited time it seems... Because two entries had only terrain and didn't follow all the keywords.

Level 23
I think I did the best job this time around... Thanks for the fun contest/challenge! It was really fun and I hope for more as well for everyone to keep trying them too.

By the way Tickles I didn't see mirror in your entry and I didn't see sea in Frotty's however I saw a pond. =)

Not many people work well with very limited time it seems... Because two entries had only terrain and didn't follow all the keywords.

Nice joke, I got a laugh outta it

Level 26
Results have been listed in the first post. Yes, bugs were bound to happen. I guess even if the duration had been one week, you would have either aimed at a bigger result, not have found steady time and/or postponed the work, so would still have run into hardships. On the other hand do most projects not come to an ending. Suggestions for the next round?

Level 13

There didn't have to be a mirror. You also could have mirrored something (I think in this case it was the mirrored map itself).
All of the listed maps are working "fine" :D

The empty maps you mentioned are WurstScripted maps. They have no code in the trigger editor. But you can play them.
If you save these maps with the normal WE you lose the injected code.

Level 8

Maybe you should test the maps first before you judge. As bhusta already said the map seem to be empy because they was written in wurstscript.

Just btw if you open the map in the WE and change anything nothing will work anymore, because the war3map.j get's replaced.

Level 25
By the way Tickles I didn't see mirror in your entry
There didn't have to be a mirror. You also could have mirrored something (I think in this case it was the mirrored map itself).
Yep. Key words don't mean something has to be a physical object, although some type of reflection powerup might have been cooler than just the subtle mirrored snowfield :prazz:
Results have been listed in the first post. Yes, bugs were bound to happen. I guess even if the duration had been one week, you would have either aimed at a bigger result, not have found steady time and/or postponed the work, so would still have run into hardships. On the other hand do most projects not come to an ending. Suggestions for the next round?
24 hours is good for smaller themes. AoS maps seem to be one of the hardest to do with crammed time, so it was good to include misc this time around for a more general choice.

Maybe next time could include a tower defense theme. There haven't been any for the mini-mapping contests for a while (other than the more general 'defense' theme). Some type of race theme might be fun to make, too. Race against the clock or race against other players/units to accomplish something.

Level 26
AoS maps seem to be one of the hardest to do with crammed time, so it was good to include misc this time around for a more general choice.

I do not quite think so because the standard concepts and triggers for AoS can be very simple and are covered in numerous tutorials/other projects. There is no real new thinking or excessive work there. The place where you can be innovative is heroes, spells, items and the like. And those can be very independent and fast to make a prototype of.

Maybe next time could include a tower defense theme.

Tower defense is listed, was just not rolled.

Some type of race theme might be fun to make, too. Race against the clock or race against other players/units to accomplish something.

Because of their rarity, this can be done as misc. But I guess if you include all types of time races, not just rallyes, it could be an own category.

Level 23
Id definitely love to participate, seeing as I missed the first.

On aside note, any chance of hosting one of those MacGyver hero contests?
Where you make as creative a hero as possible using only object editor?

Level 26
On aside note, any chance of hosting one of those MacGyver hero contests?
Where you make as creative a hero as possible using only object editor?

Well, I won't, maybe someone else. But the rounds we had on inwc before kinda confirmed my assumption that with only the object editor, you are fast to hit the barrier and select from a few tricks available because the connecting links for mixing stuff are missing, thus picking normal abilities is not worthwhile.

Level 26
2nd Round

As anticipated, a 2nd round of this event will be held in February from Friday 14th to Saturday 15th, the time of day offset being half an hour earlier than last time, so from 10pm to 10pm (UTC+1). edit: date of the event put on a hold until Sunday, see vote

Voting has finished. The event will take place from 21st to 22nd of February 10 to 10pm (UTC+1).

There will be keywords again but two at maximum. Both of the genres that were rolled last time will be blocked this round and would be restored in a third one.

aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars

misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

An associated Funmap Evening will be launched on the 2nd day 9pm.

Last edited:
Level 13
What then should be the theme?

Try to read the first posts before you ask this questions.

The themes and types are randomly rolled. So, you have no information until the event actually starts.
The only thing to know is that this challenge is about 24 hours and combined with the Funmap Evening so people can test the maps.

It's just about fun and creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.