• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
Level 26
  • A building can be walked through west of the Eye of Sargeras. FIXED
  • The troll villagers can be killed, even their chief. Completing desert tomb makes them invulnerable after when it triggers quest dialogue. FIXED
  • The Tree of Life can be damaged by attacking behind it. I don't know if this is intended. FIXED
  • There's a bear that can be walked through, but judging by the tight area I think it supposed to block the Warden passing. Did you mean the druid in the grassy cave?
  • After a scene, the bears shock wave attacks don't do any damage. I rushed reading the text there though. Working on it.
  • Heading North, there is a spider behind a mountain. The game spams "on" messages in a part region nearby. I think this is a debug trigger that didn't get disabled. FIXED
  • When I head South, the map transition took like half a minute. I actually thought the game had crashed. Couldn't reproduce bug. Didn't happen for me. I might put up a game message saying that "Transition may take a while" if more people runs into this problem.
  • Sometimes I get this red screen with forces under attack voice in background. I THINK FIXED
Also, yup: It was the cache in Bonechiller Burrow causing you to deal no damage. I tried it myself, and ended up getting 0 Damage multiplier, wich results in no damage being dealt. Not sure how to fix this though. :/
I'll have to ask for some help. :)

Last edited:

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
As Furry Nova already said (at least I think this is what he meant), Druid (patrol) 0066 does not block the path to the soul gem. It is probably intended to only be able to reach the soul gem after a certain condition has been met (talking to Felore for example).
However if you get the soul gem before talking to Felore the cinematic Felore 3 does not end (cinematic mode does not end and screen is black).
The reason why I got the soul gem before talking to Felore is that I couldn't find her, so I explored the whole map and doing some of the messenger's quests.
I think it would be good to remove the wander ability from Felore, as you cannot see her, if she moves inside some of the doodads (collision was turned off for Felore).

The Ice Troll Warlord has an exclamation mark over his head even though you cannot interact with him (I think you can only speak to him later).

As already mentioned the bears in the boss fight don't do damage (shockwave and stomp). When attacked they walk away, which I think is kind of weird for a melee boss.

Triggers:

• Transition
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Cinematic - Fade out over 1.00 seconds using texture Black Mask and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Set Pos1 = (Position of Char)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (gg_rct_Transfer_Region_BB contains Pos1) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set ClearedSubmap = 2
          • Game Cache - Store (Player 1 (Red) Current gold) as G of Integer in GameCache
          • Game Cache - Store (Player 1 (Red) Current lumber) as L of Integer in GameCache
          • Game Cache - Store CharHealthLevel as CHL of Integer in GameCache
          • Game Cache - Store CharDamage as CD of Real in GameCache
          • Game Cache - Store CharRegeneration as CR of Real in GameCache
          • Game Cache - Store CharDamageX as CDX of Real in GameCache
          • Game Cache - Save GameCache
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
          • Game - Save game as W\Q0.w3z and change level to WardenBB.w3x (Skip scores)
        • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Pos1)
This is the last part of your transition trigger. If the player is no longer in the region the cinematic filter will still be there (since it is before the condition). I think removing the filter in the else-block should solve it.

Leaks:

I did not take a close look at triggers apart from triggers to transition between maps, but I saw that you do not destroy the unit group, when you use count units in unit groups.

These examples are from the trigger Blade Damage.
  • (Number of units in (Units within 85.00 of Pos1 matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Blade (Patrol)))) Greater than or equal to 1
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Pos1 using Abilities\Spells\Other\Stampede\StampedeMissileDeath.mdl
Special effects must be destroyed. This one is pretty easy to destroy though, since you can put a DestroySpecialEffect right after it. The animation of this model will still finish.

Amazing campaign :thumbs_up:. The best single hero campaign I played so far. If you need help with something you can ask me. :)

Level 26
Thanks for your support Jampion!
I'll be sure to ask you when I have other issues in the future. :) So far, it feels like every single of my issues have been solved by you... :D

As Furry Nova already said (at least I think this is what he meant), Druid (patrol) 0066 does not block the path to the soul gem. It is probably intended to only be able to reach the soul gem after a certain condition has been met (talking to Felore for example).
However if you get the soul gem before talking to Felore the cinematic Felore 3 does not end (cinematic mode does not end and screen is black).
I'll makea trigger so that you cannot enter the cave until it is time to do so.
The reason why I got the soul gem before talking to Felore is that I couldn't find her, so I explored the whole map and doing some of the messenger's quests.
I suspected that this would happen. I will add game messages where Shalis "thinks" for herself, guiding the player to their destination, like in-game tips. I won't make too many, because a bit of exploratioon is fun, but a bit more than it currently is, at least.
I think it would be good to remove the wander ability from Felore, as you cannot see her, if she moves inside some of the doodads (collision was turned off for Felore).
Yes, that was accidental. I was being sloppy when I copy pasted dummy units.
The Ice Troll Warlord has an exclamation mark over his head even though you cannot interact with him (I think you can only speak to him later).
Will be fixed!
As already mentioned the bears in the boss fight don't do damage (shockwave and stomp). When attacked they walk away, which I think is kind of weird for a melee boss.
I totally forgot about this boss fight when I annonced the BETA. It is far from done yet.

Ah. Sloppy leaks... Thanks for pointing them out!
They shall be fixed.

Level 9
Very good and unique campaign, I enjoyed playing the first map very much, will write a full review once I finish the whole campaign

Level 4
I just downloaded the bundle update. The campaign version is 34 in file name, but I currently have 35. Shouldn't it be 36? The campaign description says 37 in-game.

Tutorial
  • Creatures can be attacked through the training fence. Example you can attack and kill the fire spawn and skip the other training creatures. [Screenshot]
Hub
  • The Tree of Life is still damageable here. [Screenshot]
  • I found this tree damageable too after completing first level. [Screenshot]
Level 1 - Solen's Sanctuary
  • None
Level 2 - Bonechiller Burrow
  • I can't find the journal and I'm sure I've destroyed everything in the area of this map from the walk through. The "KoZu" code won't open the door except give me this message once. [Screenshot] [Walk-Through Map]
I'm Software Locked again at this point.

Level 26
Yeah... the version numbers were kinda messed up after loads of versions and tests... I got confused on what was the latest version and checked that the one on the hive was called "33", so I named it 34. I will see to this being fixed aswell.

I will fix the tutorial issue.
I must have forgot to save after I fixed that darn tree. I'm on it, and I'll fix the treant too then. :)
I will check the problem with Bonechiller Burrow. Enter the code "Queen Elsa" in the meantime to get past it.

I will fix this tomorrow night. I have a big test tomorrow that will take most of the day.
Thanks a bunch for reporting those issues! :)

Level 4
Level 3 - Forest Temple
  • The flute can only be heard clearly with SFX off and BGM on. When SFX is on with the BGM, the SFX takes priority to overwrite the BGM from playing at all but the flute glitches in for split second at some points.
  • A rock with no collision. [Screenshot]
  • I've defeated all the Whips and enemies in the area but the barrier won't go down at the temple entrance. I've also tried restarting map but it wasn't just bad luck since it happened again.
I'm Soft Locked again at this point. I'm not sure why, this part was completable on a previous campaign version.

No problem. I just have thing for finding bugs. :)

Level 26
Thanks again!
I will fix those asap aswell.
There is not much more for you to play after forest temple, but to clear it, write "Deku Tree". :)

EDIT:
Actually, Found some time this morning (couldn't sleep in anticipation of the test anyway), so I decided to try to fix the most important bugs.
I couldn't reproduce the bug with the gate in Bonechiller Burrow not opening. :/
I tried both with and without finding the journal, and both worked fine. Anything else you might have done that caused the bug?

The same thing with the bug in Forest Temple.
I killed all the whisps, and then the barrrier went down as it is supposed to. You mean the room just after the confusing music forest with the laggy sound, right?

I'll get to the less gamebreaking issues you mentioned as soon as I've got more time. :)

Last edited:
Level 4
I killed all the whisps, and then the barrrier went down as it is supposed to. You mean the room just after the confusing music forest with the laggy sound, right?
I've just screen recorded the Forest Temple to help show the bug. I don't think I'm doing anything odd though. I've disabled SFX when I enter the maze, just before the message pops up about the shortcut keys. I don't think the flute volume changed by standing near 2 of the exists one point. I hope this helps. [Screen Recorded Video]

Edit: Video deleted. Just clearing old unneeded videos.

Last edited:
Level 26
Thanks for being so patient and testing over again! :) Now, to the issue:
What da hell... I don't understand this. I played it just this morning, the same version, and there was no issue. When I kill the wisps, the barrier opens. Period. I know the music is still a little banged up, but that is easily fixed (I was a bit impatient in the end stages of the update).
@Jampion, do you know why this bug may be?

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I don't know. I did not look at this map yet. I will do so tomorrow though.
Two I would like to point out.
At about 41 seconds in the video, when he restarts the map it takes about 4 seconds until it actually starts the restaring process. This is the time that is used free up the memory and a good indicator for leaks.
At about 1:21 in the video, you can see a red 0 as floating text even though you should not take any damage at that moment.

Level 4
I just opened the map through the campaign file to help debug. I hope you don't mind.

Strangely, I've found there's actually nothing wrong with the Forest Temple trigger at all. I even added debug messages to count the remaining Forest Spirits and it dispels the barrier correctly. I even rush replayed the campaign and it seems to dispel the barrier correctly too.

Also. When I tested Bonechiller Burrow journal quest during the rush, it didn't work. But when I ran a test map, were it automatically saves under .../Warcraft III/Maps/Test/WorldEditTestMap the journal appeared and the door opened with "KoZu" code correctly.

I don't know if the map or campaign didn't compile correctly to be read by the actual game or something. All I did was move the condition and the actions into an "If / Then / Else, Multiple Functions" and added debug messages around.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
From what I saw, it has probably something to do that you count the wisps in region. Also dead units (corpse) are counted. Either you exclude dead units or you change the death of the wisps to not leave corpses.
@Furry Nova You could try changing the object editor field of the forest spirit "combat - death type" to Can't raise, does not decay. This will remove the wisps as soon as they die and they are no longer counted in the unit group.

Level 26
I just opened the map through the campaign file to help debug. I hope you don't mind.
Not at all! Just happy you are trying to help out. :)

Those issues are beyond me.
Also dead units (corpse) are counted.
I thought I removed that feature, but it should not matter here. When I tried it, I killed the wisps within the region where they were counted, and still, when they all were dead, the barrier went down. :/

Level 4
Those issues are beyond me.

I thought I removed that feature, but it should not matter here. When I tried it, I killed the wisps within the region where they were counted, and still, when they all were dead, the barrier went down. :/
I think I've found the problem. The Forest Temple map in the unmodified campaign is somehow corrupted when in-game. I just tested this by exporting the map directly from the campaign file without saving changes were the map version doesn't increase. The barrier didn't go down this time. But when I saved the map in the campaign file that increases the version number and then exported it, the barrier goes down how it should when tested. Re-saving the map in the campaign seems to fix it for me.

I think the journal bug is the same issue.

Are you running any World Editor mods?

@Jampion - I don't think the "Combat - Death Type" value is effecting it. There's a loop checked every 2 seconds of how many Forest Spirits they are in the region. Takes roughly 2 seconds when the barrier disappears when all 5 are defeated.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I changed the trigger to run whenever a unit is killed, when I cleaned the leaks. I also added a condition to only count living units. When I tested the map it did work fine. I don't know, what could cause the corruption of the map. I hope that this bug will be solved then.

I think the journal bug is the same issue.
Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to take a look at it tomorrow.

@Jampion - I don't think the "Combat - Death Type" value is effecting it. There's a loop checked every 2 seconds of how many Forest Spirits they are in the region. Takes roughly 2 seconds when the barrier disappears when all 5 are defeated.
The thing is, that as long as the unit has not decayed, it will still be counted in the unit group. You will not realize it though, since the decay time of wisps seems to quite low (~2 seconds).

I did just make some few tests about it and found another reason that could cause problems: the function to count the wisp sometimes counts 1 less than it should. I do not know why though, as leaving wisps should get instantly moved to the center of the region. I will investigate about this.

Level 21
Well you won't believe this, but i managed to get stuck in the tutorial, when learning about the double dash to pass the gate. I just dashed perfectly into the closing gate :F - ofc this is no bug report, just a silly story.

Now finished Solen's Sanctuary. It's short but fun. I'm not a fan of the movement, but it's playable. I might finish the others too and see what's up there.

Level 26
Oh, so you actually got stuck inside the door? that's like one in a thousand! :D
You must have accidently been in the exact middle of the gate, otherwise the warcraft game engine places you on either side. I can make a fix for this though. :)

Glad you liked Solen's Sanctuary! It is a bit short, yes, but it makes it unable to become tedious. :)
Have you tried using the cursor movement?

Level 21
Actually i played mostly with the mouse and used ctrl+c to unlock the camera. I guess it's just an age old habit of playing that way. But it's totally manageable with keys, or mouse anyway, so not a big deal.

Level 2
Hello, its look as nice map:) But I have a little problem. A start play the campain and in this map (Bonechiler Burrow) I can t find the journal....I destroy all barrers and notfing...I try restart the map and destroy all barrers again but notfing....Where i could do mistake?

Level 26
Glad you like it! :)

Hmm, that sounds weird. Are you sure you have found all the barrels? Check this picture first:
barrels%20n%27%20stuff.jpg

If you indeed found all the barrels, stand by the gate, and enter this message:
Kozu

If you played it in the campaign, there might be an issue here at this particular time. I haveen't encountered it myself, but some are even unable to open the door with the password I provided in the spoiler above. If you can not get past with the password, I'm sorry to tell you that you cannot play the map at this moment, but will have to skip it with yet another code. Tell me if it doesn't work, and I'll give you the passcode. :)

Level 2
Hello, yes i found all barrels, but not found the journal, when I write the code near the door without tje Journal. Whisper says a message, but gate is still closed.

Level 26
That is sooo weird!
One other has also reported this bug, but when I was there myself, I couldn't make it happen. Sorry, but you'll have to skip this one in the meantime. :/
Open chat and enter this code: "Queen Elsa"
THis should finish the map for you, and let you continue with the main adventure. :)
Tell me if you encounter anything else! :)

Level 3
good map, though first walking in Starglade was a bit boring, because of big map, small ms and no enemies.
By the way, I have finished Solen's Sanctuary and got code, but game didn't tell me how to activate it or I just missed it. So how can I activate it? I tried to write code in chat, but nothing happened.
And one more thing, treant, that gives you a quest to the Solen's Sanctuary is vulnerable (at least after finishing Solen's Sanctuary)

Level 26
I'll fix the treant vulnerability bug!

Yeah, Starglade should perhaps have some more enemies in the future. It is hard to know what to put in there though, since thee area is controlled by Night Elves, who wouldn't let enemies wander their premises unpunished. I might come up with something though. :)
I will also improve the terrain further to be more interesting and have more secrets to discover, so that exploring the area will be important if you want all the bonuses.
The movement speed will not change though, as it is important that the ms stays the same for other maps. However, I have planned to add speed rune shrines, that you can activate by clearing the messengers quest.

Hmm, I think the game explains how to use the code once, but I should make that more clear I think. If you clear Solen's Sanctuary, you can use the code that was granted in the beginning of the map when you play it in campign mode. If you clear it and also clear the master mode within the map, the code can be used to unlock extra rewards. Those rewards will still be locked until the next chapter comes out though, but you can prepare for them by getting the codes in advance. :)

Thanks for your feedback!
Would you mind rating it aswell? :)

Level 3
Thank you for the answer :)
I'll rate it after I finish the map, because I'm only in the Bonechiller Burow atm. :p

Level 26
Good, good. :)
There is a chance that you will encounter a gamebreaking bug in Bonechiller Burrow. It appears occasionally it seems like, and I have not yet found a solution for it. :/
Just tell me if you can't either find the journal or get through the gate. :)

Level 3
Yeah, I destroyed all 10 barrels, but journal didn't drop.
P.S. And with "KoZu" door don't open.

Last edited: