• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The taint (Mannoroth's blood) was passed down between bloodlines of the Orcs, those who got the taint genetically (not drinking the blood) have green skin. Otherwise those who got too much exposure to fel magic while already having this biological taint had red pigment.

It is also highly likely that fel magic tainted those who refused the blood at some point, turning them to green rather than red. Thus red is the most corrupted one.
We can dig more deeply in conspiracy theories that somebody on-purpose poisoned those who rejected Mannoroth's blood.

There is simply no excuse to make the Orcs.. brown in the movie.. If that happens I will count on editing to recolor orcs. :p

Brown > Green > Red

I suppose the music will come from the same composers working on WoW? If so, we are up to something epic.

Also, I'm a little bit disappointed the movie isn't fully CGI.
It's been so long since the last try to make a full-CGI realistic looking animated movie. The last one I can remember was the Final Fantasy movie (and that is over a decade old).

Since then, we only got semi-CGI and Pixar animations.

No, Ramin Djwadi Is working on that. He has Composed Music for Famous Movies, But not WoW. However his works are really good too.
That's a bummer, really. What was wrong with the composers who did the WoW soundtrack? They did a phenomenal job. Why exchange a trademark sound for the movie adaption of a trademark game?

Why? Because he had composed for: Pacific rim, Iron man and some other successful Movies.
You mean, all those movies that had a completely forgettable and generic soundtrack?

The cool thing about WoW music is how it delivers a specific central theme that I can not quite put into words. It's not that generic horns and strings stuff you hear in about any movie soundtrack to date. They actually had a quite unique set of instruments in most of the WoW themes. And that in a very consistant fashion.

If you hear a random WoW or WC3 tune you will almost immediately think "yep, that's Warcraft.", no questions asked. It's like there's some secret recognizable sauce in it.

Guys, I cannot even play DotA 2 with music on without thinking about warcraft universe all the time. The music is SO SIGNATURE WARCRAFT that it's uncanny. If the movie is not going to go for that, and end up having some generic shit, I will care less for it. I do not care how GOOD it is, I want that TASTE. I mean, I love vanilla, sure, but I really want chocolate.

I'm wondering, is it really special or is it just because we have known it for many years? I believe if they do it right they'll often use tracks from the games, altered in ways that suit the movie.

I really hope so. That would give us the ultimate nostalgia feels.

Any new news going on about the Movie?

Yes! The movie trailer will debut at SDCC this weekend (July 11):
http://www.wowhead.com/news=248221/...sdcc-and-signing-schedule-bmah-in-6-2-july-6-

I wish I were there just for that (I don't have much of an excuse for not going since I live just a few hours away from it). I think I have some friends going, perhaps they'll be able to tell me what it's like. I really hope it is a public unveiling though. Otherwise I'll be filled with anxiety for a long time to come.

I'm wondering, is it really special or is it just because we have known it for many years?
I don't think that the answer to this actually changes the premise. What we want is a warcrafty and epic soundtrack.

But judging from the latest works of the composer, I somehow have my doubts that he will deliver something equally epic.
I mean, sure, the Game of Thrones theme was awesome. But that's about it. Nothing else really caught my attention musical-wise in the series.

I mean, sure, the Game of Thrones theme was awesome. But that's about it. Nothing else really caught my attention musical-wise in the series.

Stark theme was good. :thumbs_up:

But on a serious note, I wish they collaborated with Russell Brower/Hayes/Stafford. Brower said that they weren't working on the film.

Perhaps we'll hear a taste of it from the trailer. If they knew what was good for them, they would adapt the existing songs and sneak them in.

New logo unveiled:
Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 3.20.16 PM.png
http://imgur.com/a/SLK6e

It is much better than the old one, which felt far more starcrafty than warcrafty:
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2014/july/wcMovieLogo.jpg

EDIT: Props/event setup at SDCC:
kaNB6OA.jpg

Last edited:
Legendary pictures updated their VR app today to allow you to soar over Azeroth on a gryphon!
http://www.legendary.com/legendary-vr/

It is only for smartphones, sadly. Preview screenshots!
http://imgur.com/a/0WOtE

But it really looks better within the app, so check it out for yourselves! I'm sure someone will release a vid of it soon though. Couldn't find one yet, but that's probably since it was just released a few hours ago.

EDIT: Made one myself. Enjoy!

EDIT2: They are taking down all the videos. :( Sorry. There is a mirror here, watch with VR player:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content...fixes-Racials-and-PvP-Blue-Tweets-Flying-Poll

Last edited:
Is that stormwind? Fucking epic!

Yeah it is Stormwind. It is pretty amazing. 360 videos are insane.

But seriously, "War is coming"? What is this, Game of Thrones?

hehe. I guess it is supposed to be a friendly reminder at the end of your flight that something is stirring up in those peaceful lands.

Posters for the movie unveiled.
http://imgur.com/a/QPnnm

WoW trailer will be released in November to the public:
Duncan Jones said:
Blood was spilt for this... "Today has all been about SDCC. Now I want to let you know the trailer will finally release to ALL in November"

Some images of the characters showcased at SDCC:
http://imgur.com/gallery/3ohpZ/new
Garona is hot.

Gul'dan:
http://i.imgur.com/k2U8JFk.jpg

Short scene of Durotan. Camera guy proceeded to spin out of control (probably was afraid he'd get caught and get kicked out):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20042415/warcraft_leak.mp4

Some interviews with the cast members. Be sure to check out Clancy Brown's awesome orc voice! (a.k.a. Mr. Krabs)
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/3cyi9p/durotan_preview_warcraft_movie/
There is about 2 seconds of footage at the end of Duncan Jones' clip in that link^.

Three pics of characters here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/3cyd9c/warcraft_movie_live_blog/ct0404h

Official site up:
http://www.warcraftmovie.com/

And for anyone who wants the story...
From legendary pictures and universal pictures comes warcraft, an epic adventure of world-colliding conflict based on blizzard entertainment’s global phenomenon.

The peaceful realm of azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another. As a portal opens to connect the two worlds, one army faces destruction and the other faces extinction. From opposing sides, two heroes are set on a collision course that will decide the fate of their family, their people and their home.

So begins a spectacular saga of power and sacrifice in which war has many faces, and everyone fights for something.

Directed by duncan jones (moon, source code) and written by charles leavitt and jones, the film starring travis fimmel, paula patton, ben foster, dominic cooper, toby kebbell, ben schnetzer, rob kazinsky and daniel wu is a legendary pictures, blizzard entertainment and atlas entertainment production.

The producers are charles roven, thomas tull, jon jashni, alex gartner and stuart fenegan. Jillian share, brent o’connor, michael morhaime and paul sams serve as executive producers. Rob pardo, chris metzen, nick carpenter and rebecca steel roven co-produce. Warcraft will be released by universal pictures.

Cool stuff, but... why the f*ck are Durotan and Orgrim brown?? Ugh, I can't stand retcons. I know they didn't drink Mannoroths blood, but why on earth would Thrall be green then?

Those who drank blood became greenskin, but the taint radiated to other orcs such as Thrall. It is a retcon indeed, but eh, at least it has an explanation. I think that was the reasoning when TBC was released or something (Mag'har). Or maybe it was recent, idk.

Level 39
I Think Orcs used to be brown in fact. maybe They changed when they entered Azeroth?

I'm aware that they used to be brown, but Orgrim and Durotan should still be green.

Those who drank blood became greenskin, but the taint radiated to other orcs such as Thrall. It is a retcon indeed, but eh, at least it has an explanation. I think that was the reasoning when TBC was released or something (Mag'har). Or maybe it was recent, idk.

That's the explanation we got in Rise of the Horde. But that doesn't explain why Durotan and Orgrim are not green. The taint should have tainted them as well, especially Orgrim being in the Blackrock Clan.
It's very clearly described in the Rise of the Horde how Orgrim and Durotan slowly turn green, albeit not as green as the ones who drink the blood.

As far as I can see, Orgrim and Durotan are 100% brown in this movie. I'm not a fan of retcons, but this could've been excused if not for that fact that THRALL IS BRIGHT GREEN. Why would Durotan's SON be green, if Durotan himself is brown? It just doesn't make sense. Why would the taint irradiate Thrall, who grew up amongst humans not orcs? Thrall has always been green, he was born that way. And the only way that would make sense would be if Durotan and Draka were also green.

I think it's a stupid retcon. Some retcons work. This one doesn't.

Damn, now I'm even more excited for this. The Pacific Rim guy starring this, eh? And Daniel Wu, awesome; I like him. And the girl from Hitch starring Garona? Not sure about that. I can't remember watching any movie with the other actors, though, so not much to say about them.

But I like that they hired a pretty unknown director for this movie. Always nice to give someone fresh a spot in the sunlight. I can't stand all those recent Michael Bay cookie cutter productions.

What I wonder, though, is if Draenai will be part of this movie. I mean; technically, they should, right? It was Guldan and his followers who established the genocide on them, after all.
Also, Garona is half-orc, half-draenai. Do they retcon her into being half-human?

Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Also, Garona is half-orc, half-draenai. Do they retcon her into being half-human?

I think she was half-human at first, and then they changed it into half-draenei, not sure.

I think she was half-human at first, and then they changed it into half-draenei, not sure.
From what I still remember from the WC lore, I think they (as in the orcs) initially thought she was half-human, because she looked like one. I don't think this was changed, more like she found out the truth. I think it was Guldan who forced an orc to breed with her Draenai mother, so he certainly knows the truth (and Medivh should aswell).

I hope they don't go the easy road and leave Draeneis completely out of the story, just because the orc-genocide on the Draenais would make them look more like villains.

Which reminds me; is this going to be a PG-12 movie...?

Most of the orcs seen either in official posters or artwork are brown with the exception of Gul'Dan and Garona. Orcs were always green in pre-WoW lore, it would't be a surprise because WoW fucked entire franchise. I would be less surprised to see some sort of time machine or a panda in the future War movies.

Garona is as usual half naked (in battle?), I wonder why hasn't anyone just stabbed her yet? It's too easy, just target the stomach, fools.

Gul'Dan has glowing cartoon eyes from a Pixar movie. Great...

And Medivh looks like another Legolas from Lord of The Rings. I'm guessing they went on the spin-off route.

Don't expect anything good from this movie, people..

Level 39
Who said the pictures of Durotan are after the drink? Orgrim is green here. http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...wcmp012.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150223230437

Fair point. It just seems strange to me that they would promote the movie with character designs that will have very little screen time. It seems likely that the designs they are showing now are gonna be the designs that are used for the majority of the movie. Which is why I'm worried about the lack of armour on Doomhammer as well.
No, I think this is a retcon. Might be wrong though. Even if they do turn green at some point, it'll probably be after they reach Azeroth, and that's still a retcon.

8 character posters. Not the greatest quality, but probably the best quality when it comes to leaked photos:
http://imgur.com/a/c73hI

@Zwieb: Perhaps. I hope they give at least some context to Gul'dan. Maybe not the entire slaughter of the draenei, but perhaps the end of it. I feel like they have to at least mention the draenei if they want to explore Garona.

As for the rating, it is not yet rated but I imagine it would be PG-13 just as LOTR was. Idk what that movie was rated in other countries, it'll probably carry over to this movie since it has similar themes. Warcraft isn't really sex-driven so I doubt it will reach MA/R rating.

@A Void: He has glowing eyes in the WoD cinematic as well. Perhaps it is just exaggerated for the presentation poster. Things look more realistic in the footage, according to those at SDCC (they were referring to Durotan in particular, but I imagine the same would be true for Gul'dan as well). Besides, all we have is a blurry photo.

But I agree that WoW makes this movie a bit of a difficult undertaking. There is so much to fit in into a movie's length, and you don't want the pacing to be too fast or else you'll end up with something like The Last Airbender movie. At the same time, you have to build it for an audience who may not have even heard of Warcraft. I know it won't live up to die-hard lore-fans' expectations (adaptations never do), but I'm just excited to see how they approach the first war and fit everything in. People who saw the footage were hyped, so at least we can expect something fun to watch.

Level 39
Maybe they are just retconning the when the orcs drank Mannoroths blood completely? I can see on that poster that Blackhand is brown as well.
I'm thinking they might change the timeline so the orcs drink the blood after entering Azeroth?
Eh I might just be assuming too much. I still think it would be strange for them to make posters like this if they are only brown for a small part of the movie.

Everything else is looking great though. I'm looking forward to this movie. Not a huge fan of changing some of the designs (Medivh mostly, what was wrong with his original design? Then again, this is many years before WC3) but this is to be expected.

Interestingly enough, Garona is clearly green on the character pictures presented; makes me hope that they DO indeed feature the skin color change in the movie.

Not happy with the Medivh design either, I just can't see him with bright hair and without that brown hood... but the other characters look great, imho.

I think I read someone mentioning Guldan killing "weird purple humans" when talking about the trailer. Could be a hint for Draenai actually being in the movie (albeit only shown as cannon fodder).
But meh, all but speculation until the trailer is released to the masses (or at least leaked properly).

Dat poster, though...

Attachments

• 10408924_849796075103368_8852625681335924560_n.jpg
    10408924_849796075103368_8852625681335924560_n.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 814
For those who wonder how Medivh actually looked in War1 concept art:
549px-Warcraft_I_-_Medivh.jpg

hQ7rDfF.jpg

Also, Garona was half-human before WoW lore. War3 was supposed to feature her in the campaign, but was scrapped. Here is the old image from Warcraft 3 ECTS:
latest

She also had a 3D cinematic model that was supposed to be rendered during a cinematic. Her role in War3 was eventually cut out, but it is plausible that she was somehow related to Thrall.

Level 39
The funny thing is that Ben foster looked like Medivh (from the wc3 cinematic) without any adjustment. They could just give him a hood and a staff and boom: Medivh.

He doesn't look right with long hair. All that hair should be moved down to his chin.

And lol at that poster.

Agreed. I originally thought he was the perfect choice for Medivh, he looks so much like him it's unreal. But with this design, eh. Again they might be trying to show how a young Medivh would look like, when he was a Magus not a Prophet. I imagine he'd be a lot more stylish and neat as a Magus.

Yeah, Garona being half-Draenei was totally a retcon. Back when she was first introduced into the lore Draenei weren't even a thing.
But they kept changing the timeline until it just wouldn't make sense for her to be half-human, so they decided to retcon her into half-Draenei.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Agreed. I originally thought he was the perfect choice for Medivh, he looks so much like him it's unreal. But with this design, eh. Again they might be trying to show how a young Medivh would look like, when he was a Magus not a Prophet. I imagine he'd be a lot more stylish and neat as a Magus.

Yeah, this is probably the period around the time when he was sent to Northshire by King Wrynn, unless they've changed that too <.<

The funny thing is that Ben foster looked like Medivh (from the wc3 cinematic) without any adjustment. They could just give him a hood and a staff and boom: Medivh.

He doesn't look right with long hair. All that hair should be moved down to his chin.

And lol at that poster.

Medivh in War3 is no longer a human, and making him look like that in War Movie is stupid because of timeline and age differences. A lot of time had passed from War 1 to War 3, he changed his clothes and became this "prophet".

In War 1 he already was old and his hair was bald with only a beard.
WC1PMedivh.gif

I'm wondering if this movie is about War 1 then how come there is pre-corruption timeline? Dreanor? Did they fit this into one movie?

Else, I'm thinking that this Warcraft Movie will start from the beginning of pre-Dreanor destruction. If this is true then it will not even come close to being in the same timeline as War1. So Orcs being brown for most of the movie is acceptable.. since then the movie would take place before War 1.

Medivh in War3 is no longer a human, and making him look like that in War Movie is stupid because of timeline and age differences. A lot of time had passed from War 1 to War 3, he changed his clothes and became this "prophet".

In War 1 he already was old and his hair was bald with only a beard.
WC1PMedivh.gif

They reformed/retconned a lot of his background throughout the series. They aren't using wc1 as canon--it seems that they are trying to reconcile as much of the appended lore with the original lore as possible (by appended lore, I'm referring to the lore in The Last Guardian and in WoW). He isn't supposed to be that old around the time of the opening, so it makes sense that he doesn't have gray hair yet.

And I didn't say that he was supposed to look exactly as he did in wc3. I was referring to the facial features and the hair in particular. Almost all the concept art of Medivh after wc3 (even the ones depicting him as younger, e.g. Caverns of Time: Opening of the Dark Portal) have the characteristic beard + hood combo. If someone didn't label him as Medivh in that poster (and without Atiesh), he would've looked like generic mage #4.

Else, I'm thinking that this Warcraft Movie will start from the beginning of pre-Dreanor destruction. If this is true then it will not even come close to being in the same timeline as War1. So Orcs being brown for most of the movie is acceptable.. since then the movie would take place before War 1.

If this movie took place before War1 then we wouldn't even need to see humans. It would all take place on Draenor.

EDIT: Skies of Azeroth official 360 video uploaded by Legendary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_J8k43gUhY&feature=youtu.be
Might require chrome. I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I don't really think this movie has to focus on just one time period, tbh. We don't know anything about the story, yet, it could include flashbacks after all or a "10 years earlier" exposition. Actually, I would love that, simply because it would be a waste NOT to include the war 1 events.

About the designs and retcons of characters; I really hope they stick to the current lore of Warcraft, even if some of the changes suck...
This is a matter of consistency. Franchises change and so did Warcraft. The current Warcraft and only the current Warcraft is canon and the largest War fanbase nowadays only knows W3 and WoW... in fact; most of them haven't even played W3 or Vanilla WoW. Retconning the W3 and WoW franchise changes would be just a stupid idea, especially with a possible Warcraft sequel in mind (that will come ... eventually; either in RTS or MMO form; we'll never know).

Also, this is how Medivh was depictured once the graphical fidelity of the games got out of "pixel mode":
medivh_the_last_guardian-1009077.jpg

No long hair. A beard. And what's even more important: dark hair. He can transform into a crow, after all. Why the hell is he blond in the movie?

I think that looks way cooler, so why go with the Legolas style?
Still hyped for the movie, but Medivh is a real boner-kill with this generic Metal-Core look.

Level 28
Why do People say this is a retcon and automatically assume that changes for the movie affect future games?

Anyway :p Potential plot: First act: Starts with Exposition by Durotan, talks with Orgrim and the Shadow Council and how they open the portal. Often cuts to Dalaran/Stormwind/Kharazhan to us what the Alliance is up to (sending Khadgar to Medivh and having Llane and Lothar kill some trolls).
Second act: Horde steps through the Portal. The Horde is winning the first few skirmishes and they get too confident. Durotan meets Lothar and they find out they are alike. Orcs lose significant numbers when trying to attack a Castle (Stormwind?). Shadow Council wants orcs to drink Mannoroth's blood so they become stronger. In the meantime Durotan disagrees but is cast out. Also Medivh and Khadgar meet Garona as the orcs' emissary.
Third act: Khadgar finds out the truth about Medivh. He and Garona escape. Khadgar Returns with Lothar to Karazhan and they kill Medivh. Garona is at Stormwind and kills Llane, the Horde demolishes Stormwind.
Epilogue: Humans flee to Lordaeron. Blackhand is killed. Sad victory for the Horde.

Of course they cant show everything that happened in Rise of the Horde, The Last Guardian and Warcraft 1 and of course they'l have to change/mix stuff to make it work within the 90-180 minutes they have. I can imagine that Doomhammer's armor will not be a part of the movie or simply unimportant. I would understand if they said his Hammer was enough to depict his leadership. Maybe he will get the armor by killing Blackhand.

I try not to be bothered by all the tiny things (CGI looking a bit crap at times, Durotan looking like a woman, Medivh looking like a young elf, everything is very colorful and fake looking, glowing GREEN eyes), because despite all these things the core story and character are all there. This IS Warcraft 1 in movie form. It's the same as if we had gotten the movie in fully rendered CGI, except that humans are actually humans and the effects are a bit better.

Someone described Warcraft as the anti-Lord of the Rings, and the more I think about it the more I agree. It's not (relatively) realistic or dark fantasy. Everything is supposed to be really big and colorful, at times humorous. But also not in a childish way like Narnia. Everyone has an agenda; some People will be pushed very hard, others will be pushed over the edge. Good people will die. This will not have a happy ending.

This will not have a happy ending.
Heh, and the good part about Warcraft lore is:
Even if they make more movie sequels, ALL of them will have a bad ending:

- Warcraft II ends with the destruction of the Dark Portal (more or less sealing the fate of all the remaining orcs on Draenor)
- Warcraft III ends with the World tree destroyed (and the sunwell) and Arthas claiming Frostmourne
- The Frozen Throne ends with Arthas claiming ... The Frozen Throne and the scourge invading Lordaeron.

We would have to make sequels until the events of WotlK before the first "good ending" happens. Fortunately, the fall of the Lich King will probably become a movie so epic it will change the history of movies forever. *fingers crossed* ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.