• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Untitled Project for school

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rapture of Violence

The Rapture of Violence
the_rapture_of_violence_by_ghostie117-d7wuprw.png
A representation of the multi-faceted relationship between conflict/violence and progress (or perceptions of progress). Made in GIMP for a school project.

deviantart.com Gallery.

wip_of_untitled_by_ghostie117-d7it920.jpg

wip_2_by_ghostie117-d7ml5yy.jpg

wip_3_by_ghostie117-d7oeyui.png

wip_4_by_ghostie117-d7qrcs6.png

wip_5_by_ghostie117-d7scey3.png

wip_6_by_ghostie117-d7vi5n7.png

wip_7_by_ghostie117-d7vnut1.png

Last edited:
well the concept is an exploration of why humans like violence/conflict so much, which i'm positing is because it is necessary for progress. i chose video games as a means of representing this because they perfectly exemplify my concept whilst appealing to contemporary audiences. the foreground will feature various video game characters slaughtering innocent people, except they will feature expressions of delight and rapture. all this information is necessary to know what the shit is going on in the background.

the background will feature plain land inspired by dali's surrealist landscapes. on the right is a tree that resembles Yggdrasil, referencing norse mythology to symbolise the prevalence of conflict within humanity. the tree's roots will extend into the foreground, and kind of absorb corpses on the ground. at the roof of the sky, its branches fade into the clouds, and an upside-down city will stem from these branches. this is to symbolise the notion that death and violence fuels progress. the sky darkens as you look more to the left, with bolts of lightning that will resemble circuitry, emphasising the digitalisation prevalent in modern society. the artificiality of the lightning-circuits will juxtapose with the giant tree. all of this is meant to question the nature of our voyeuristic obsession with violence, and whether the resultant progress is good for humanity (the tree & upside-down city) or bad (the darkened, stormy, artificial sky on the left).

Level 15
I thought the right one is promethean,...

EDIT

Oh, right, he doesnt have "mini-arms"
And you draw "older" Master Chief?

Last edited:
Level 15
I will suggesting the left character colored blue, the right one use silver-orange (seriously, it looks like promethean, lol) and The middle one, who is master chief, green. But it's your choice

Level 12
I'm really liking the progress man. The tree is already pretty defined/detailed, can't wait for the characters. As for some feedback, from my point of view, the humans/victims' seems abit... happy? Maybe drawing they mouths to be more like D: instead of :D can bring out the frighten look? But overall you did an awesome artwork. I myself can't even draw body proportion right, let alone face expressions. :/

Btw, mind if I ask what model/brand of graphic tablet you're using for this? And can you give some pointers on how to do colorings? Or perhaps you can point me to some links. I'm sorry if I'm asking too much. ^^"

ty, but the faces are meant to be like that. its an exploration of the relationship between conflict/violence/sacrifice and progress, and basically the civilians smiling are meant to represent our fascination with violence. its a pretty complex work which hopefully will convey a lot of meaning at the end.

i use a wacom pen tablet. colouring is easy, lighting not so much. you need a fundamental understanding of how lighting affects certain surfaces, and i can't really teach you that because alot of it comes with practice. i'm not very experienced anyhow, just a 17 year old art student. you'll want to just google colouring tutorials, concept art tutorials etc., and look for digital painting tutorials on youtube. you can also search for tutorials on deviantart like this one http://yuumei.deviantart.com/art/Cloud-Tutorial-Part-1-396507964

Level 12
Ah I see. Looking forward to see more progress :D Good luck mate. ;)

Many thanks for the info as well. :) I never knew deviantart have tutorials other than displays of their arts. D: Thanks alot for the link too. Really detailed tutorial. It actually comes in handy for an upcoming artwork competition that I'm interested in! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.