1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. After a long wait, the results for Terraining Contest #18 are finally out! Drop by and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Concept Art Contest #9 is up! Cast your vote for your favourite entry!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

Tyr's Apprentice v1.5

Submitted by APproject
Details
Tyr's Apprentice

v1.5

[​IMG]

Introduction

This is 60+ minutes gameplay long 3RD person point of view RPG in which you may take a role of nordic warrior and dive into adventures of searching evil sorcerer, who is determinded to start the war among scandinavians. Map contains unique fighting system, cinematics got voice recordings included, 32 custom items, many secret places and hidden items all over the map, bigger part realistic spells, great atmospheric music.

Story

Tyr, the god of combat in the mythology of norse, has sent an apprentice of his own to cleanse the land from an evil sorcerer. The prophecy of Tyr says: Strong and brave warrior shall stand against all-destroying magic and bring an end to calamitious times. Einarr the apprentice is determinded to achieve his goal by preventing slaughters across the norse, but will he succeed?

[​IMG]

Credits
The Hiveworkshop Models / Icons:

Kitabatake
DerReaper2
Sunchips
chilla_killa
ikillforeyou
CRAZYRUSSIAN
antihero
AbstractCreativity
Palaslayer
lelyanra
HappyTauren
SkriK
viiva
Mobilize
GooS
-Berz-
Forgotten_Warlord
Skipper
perfjert
ZIR
eubz
-SkatinG_CoW-
EvilCrizpy
JetFangInferno
Vermillion Edict
inhuman89
!!GORO!!
NFWar
Mr.Goblin
PeeKay
Amigurumi
Thrikodius
PrMosquito
kola
BlackRockClan
Devine
KelThuzad
Horn
Gottfrei
Dionesiist
Deolrin
Draknyte1
Chriz.
Kuhneghetz
darkdeathknight
Chaosfury
Tranquil
wojia10502
GreyArchon
Pyramidhe@d
paladinjst
ratamahatta
DonDustin
Daelin
Marcos DAB
-=Emergenzy=-
Sellenisko
hellblazer-14
-Grendel
Weep
Pyritie

UI Icy:
CRAZYRUSSIAN

Special thanks to:
eubz for his snowy grass model made by request
Spartipilo for the loading screen he made
MassiveMaster for jass-like camera system improvements

Knockback System:
Paladon

Charge System:
Zanekok & Pharaoh_

Music:
Loki - Heroes of Mythology

Sounds:
From all over the internet

Voice:
by APproject

Screenshots (Count: 8)
Screenshot 1.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 2.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 3.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 4.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 5.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 6.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 7.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 8.
[​IMG]

Changelog
v1.1

Credits correction
Typo corrections
Number of crystal spiders have been slightly reduced
Koltrund and Wolf have their damage reduced
Some of items now may be sold
Training got its price increased
Demolisher got its collision size increased
Fog in the labyrinth is now more thick
Weather effect have been added

v1.2

Camera system have been improved and modified into Jass script by MassiveMaster
Weather effect fix

v1.3

Icy console borders have been imported

v1.4

Trigger Editor was cleared of unnecessary triggers
Crystal Spider have its damage and level increased
NPCs now may talk instead of playing Quest Log sound
Fixed some trigger errors
Mountain Protector have its damage increased

v1.5

Cinematic skip issue while playing have been fixed
Quest Cave Beasts quest have been slightly improved
Some transmissions have been sligthty changed to better

Keywords:
Tyr, Tyrs, Tyr's, Apprentice, RPG, 3rd, person, view, norse, mythology, blue, winter, icecrown, harsh, approject, viking, scandinavia, warrior, combat
Contents

Tyr's Apprentice v1.5 (Map)

1. Vengeancekael: Private Message
    Date: 2011/Nov/12 01:07:01

Reasons:

Other:
    Check out the models section for custom models made by the community: Models Section
    Check out the skins section for custom skins made by the community: Skins Section
    Check out the icons section for custom icons made by the community: Icons Section
    Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section

Comment: Gameplay:

The most amazing part of the map would be the loot.
    The armor and weapon pieces all just look awesome and really shiny and make you feel pretty overpowered.
    The way you've made the skills system is also very interesting, you don't have a specific class, but you can learn something new from a lot of different from all around the map.
    Some of the skills' tooltips are a bit 'wrong' though, for example there's a basic melee attack skill with a yellow icon and it says 'charges at the target...'. When you usually read charge, you'd think that you can actually use the ability from a distance and your character would actually jump at the target.
    The cutscenes are quite cool and some of them very intense, like the warpost attack, you really created that boulder launch well.
    However one of the map's problems is the difficulty. It's quite hard, the player wouldn't expect the first mob (wolf) to deal that much damage and he hasn't even learned how to use his skills yet, etc.
    Also reduce the amount of spiders in the mountain, it gets a bit frustrating after a while.
    Also why can't I sell my items?
    There are some annoying things as well like having to go back to places when you have just arrived at a new location, like the Ogheidar quest, where you get to him and then you have to go back again. Same for the mountain quest.

Terrain:

Overall it feels very northrend like, which is good, it's very atmospheric, there's a nice mountain environment sound being played and the slow soundtrack really just adds more to the cake. (ugh that was just bad)
    Any chance you've been inspired by the Gnome/Dwarf areas from WoW? ;P
    The only problem with it would be the heights, due to the camera system, sometimes you can't actually see your character, the camera just goes too high and sometimes it goes through the ground.
    Some of the heights also do seem unnatural and not very smooth.

Other:

A neat loading screen and custom preview image! The description on the hive is also neat. Also it's 'eubz' not 'eubs'. :p

Overall:

A really cool and classic 3rd person RPG with the common quest types, but with really neat cutscenes, intense combat and a gripping atmosphere.
    Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

Update: 15/11/11 - Vengeancekael.
    Rating changed from 4/5 to 5/5 due to updates.

2. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael
    Slow down with these maps! xP

Ah so I guess this is the 3rd person view map you were making huh?
    Checking it out.

3. APproject

APproject
    I may slow down, soon, hehe. Yes it is, but I didn't manage to implent Camera system you suggested. It was too complex for me to add it into the map, but you would rarely face texture-in-screen problem anyway. Wish you good game!

4. Vlad727

Vlad727
    You must have a gift for speed an quality.... damn I envy your talent..... it makes me wanna keep working on my own project!

Thank you I seriously needed this inspiration!
    +rep for you!

5. APproject

APproject
    Wow. Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad it inspired you, good luck with your project, Vlad727!

6. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael
    Review:

Gameplay:

The most amazing part of the map would be the loot.
    The armor and weapon pieces all just look awesome and really shiny and make you feel pretty overpowered.
    The way you've made the skills system is also very interesting, you don't have a specific class, but you can learn something new from a lot of different from all around the map.
    Some of the skills' tooltips are a bit 'wrong' though, for example there's a basic melee attack skill with a yellow icon and it says 'charges at the target...'. When you usually read charge, you'd think that you can actually use the ability from a distance and your character would actually jump at the target.
    The cutscenes are quite cool and some of them very intense, like the warpost attack, you really created that boulder launch well.
    However one of the map's problems is the difficulty. It's quite hard, the player wouldn't expect the first mob (wolf) to deal that much damage and he hasn't even learned how to use his skills yet, etc.
    Also reduce the amount of spiders in the mountain, it gets a bit frustrating after a while.
    Also why can't I sell my items?
    There are some annoying things as well like having to go back to places when you have just arrived at a new location, like the Ogheidar quest, where you get to him and then you have to go back again. Same for the mountain quest.

Terrain:

Overall it feels very northrend like, which is good, it's very atmospheric, there's a nice mountain environment sound being played and the slow soundtrack really just adds more to the cake. (ugh that was just bad)
    Any chance you've been inspired by the Gnome/Dwarf areas from WoW? ;P
    The only problem with it would be the heights, due to the camera system, sometimes you can't actually see your character, the camera just goes too high and sometimes it goes through the ground.
    Some of the heights also do seem unnatural and not very smooth.

Other:

A neat loading screen and custom preview image! The description on the hive is also neat. Also it's 'eubz' not 'eubs'. :p

Overall:

A really cool and classic 3rd person RPG with the common quest types, but with really neat cutscenes, intense combat and a gripping atmosphere.

Rating: 4/5

7. PyroKnight

PyroKnight
    Dude you have really great talent for creating maps with great quality.

8. Skasian

Skasian
    A great effort, it was really pretty in general. However I stopped playing after 10 mins, here's why:

A) Number one biggest issue is by far the view. The idea of 3rd person is great but it really doesn't suit WC3. The WC3 camera rotation lag and generally the way it works make it INCREDIBLY dizzy to play. I had to stop playing as my head hurt. I would have played on if it were top down view.
    B) It's so slow, in general the game progresses so slowly and I nearly fell asleep.
    C) Would be nice if you can just Right-click things to issue a standard attack instead of having to hit 'w' all the time.
    D) It's really easy to die especially at the start which game-overs you. :(

9. APproject

APproject
    Hm, Fierdeful Charge ability actually do jump on the target. I was looking for different word to replace attack and strike, it may be familiar to typical charge to the most of players, but the word charge is not necessirly have to be typical charge ability.

Hehe, of course, I may nerf the wolf.

Hmm, I don't really find it a problem, but I might slightly reduce the number of it.

It was my intention and personal understand of a game. I wanted to enable selling only items that are worthy to be sold. And for example, let's say you get the Dreadwalkers gear and then you pick Frostgiants gear, you cannot carry both of it, so you have to go back to warpost and sell it and then again go back to mountain and acquire the frostgiant one. In this case why to make all items sellable if you might do it properly only in the village.

Distance ain't so long, come on. Plus it was on purpose. By walking through the palce several times you may gather more gold, materials and with the event of quest you would buy stuff, not needing to go back just for the items.

Hehe, no, sorry. I was inspired of game Loki - Heroes of Mythology because the music I had were the last one that wasn't used yet, I also wanted to make such unique combat system and add labyrinth to a map, so here is the mix of it.

Yeah.. I tried to reduce the amount of gonig through the ground times, but camera goes up once approaching to the hill, it is annoying.

Oops!

Thank you for the review and approvement.

Thank you, it really means much to me.

It is not suited, but I am sure it adds more charm to warcraft even though the camera system is not perfect. Lags may be caused due to too high resolution. Personally I do not face any lag through entire game. Sorry for the headache.

Weird, and I thought it progresses even too fast.

You can easily get used to it, just give it a shot. Espeically when W is not the only action that would be needed and you cannot use 4-5 abilities through Right-click.

Probably wolf's fault, it gonna be fixed.

-------

Thank you for your words.

10. MassiveMaster

MassiveMaster
    Really nice map, it has a very good atmosphere. I didn't play much of it for now. But at the beginning the biggest problems for me were:

1) Difficulty: I got killed by this angry man I had to talk to. I couldn't do much than punching back, but he was stronger. Have I been to slow at punching or is there any trick? (Maybe make different difficulties, or reviving system or something)

2) Camera height: You really should add some better camera system, especially one that holds the height at a constant distant above your unit and only changes if going into the ground. The camera up and down bouncing does look really bad. (If you need any assistance with that I'd like to help you)

I hope you improve the map and fix the mentioned problems, than it will become a really good map. For now I give it a 4/5 and +rep for you. :)

11. APproject

APproject
    Thank you for the comment and rating.

Haha, your expression about angry man made me laugh :) Well, you have to hit him as much as you can, just spam punches and do it as fast as possible and he might give up. You can also gather some coins around the village by destroying crates and buy a sword to deal with that old man, so two slashes and he's done.
    Well yeah, it is not perfect, but acceptable I think. You think you could improve it? Very well, if you would take the task then I would let you know when it is updated to v1.1 and then you could give it a try on that version.

12. xbacurix

xbacurix
    This one is simply amazing!
    Played only until the warpost attack yet, but it already impressed me.
    The atmosphere of the game is simply... Nordic... LOL
    The Icecrown tileset fited too well.
    I really loved the combat system, very unique... A bit hard to master at the beggining, but cool. Ad the camera sometimes make things hard to see... But not too much.
    I only think you really need to reduce the dificult a bit, and make possible to sell itens.
    Also, ever thought about changing the hero's model? That one don't have portrait... It's very strange.

I'm working on a campaign with some "realistic" feeling in combat... Without all that spell thing, you know. However I was afraid of making things too boring without impressive spells... But this map gave me the idea. Could I use this combat system of yours in my campaign?

4.5/5 truly
    5/5 voted
    Oh... and +rep, good work ^^

13. APproject

APproject
    Thanks for your thoughts and rating, xbacurix.
    I am thinking of reducing difficulty and about items, but I would make only some of these sellable I think. Of course, feel free to use it even though it got some negative points. I had my thoughts of realistic gameplay too, somewhy it seems attractive to me lately. Good luck with your campaign. :)

14. xbacurix

xbacurix
    Thanks...

And only one last thing to add...
    The demolisher... The model's colision is too low, I think... You need almost pass through it so you can attack, this makes things pretty hard and weird, also makes impossible to protect the chieftain from being killed if he also attack that thing.

15. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael
    Oh by the way, is there a way to get outside the warpost during the attack, or do you really have to wait until they break down the gate?

16. APproject

APproject
    Map updated, now demolisher got way better collision.

No, there is no other way, except helping enemies to break the gates you may hasten the breakthrough. This interval is for preparation, for example you didn't get to buy items and break crates in the warpost, you may also have time to observe the field by going on the wall, you can throw some knifes up there to attacks too.

17. MassiveMaster

MassiveMaster
    Ok, I gave it a try. I attached the modified map with my camera system to this post. Now the camera height isn't going up and down and the camera shouldn't go into the ground. Best you see the difference when you walk up and down steep hills, like in the start village. But I just tested it for the standard camera, hope it also works for the other camera settings. If you have any questions or want something changed, just ask. And of course I'm not angry or anything if you don't want to use it. :wink:

Attached Files:

18. Vongola20th

Vongola20th
    Nice map, but it is really hard to fight with 2 cave wanderers charging at you and attack you at once. I love 3rd person views but i prefer using like keyboards, say, left right up down. Using mouse on a 3rd person view is pretty difficult.

19. APproject

APproject
    Hehe, don't expect to complete the game in a first try! Just make sure you're geared up and simply attack one of wanderer as fast as you can, block included. If you would Block -> Slash -> Block -> Slash so one of them would fall and you would have enough of health to deal with the another one, because in 1v1 you are able to block 100% of its attacks and strike back in between of wanderer's attacks. Good luck!
    Very well done, but I really need that camera variants such as Camera Player, Camera Player 2, Camera Player Change, Camera Player Final, Camera Player Labyrinth, Camera Player Charge. Plus I've noticed camera is a quite too far from the hero. Would be cool if you would adjust all different cameras to the map with different adjustements and turn it on once it changes regulary in game.