• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Future of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
RTSs should not disappear. They should just be labeled as a smart game genre like: "this game is for smart people who actually think besides learning the game mechanics by heart" (remember all those crazy strategies they did in WcIII ladder?).

I would definitely love some official custom campaigns for WcIII but wouldn't mind about a WcIV. Let's face it, Warcraft III was never just an RTS, it was a RPGRTS, a mix of game genres. Now, if they ever decide to create WcIV, I hope it would be a continuation of TFT. If not, at least I hope they change/edit a lot of the WoW stuff in order to make the overall stuff make sense as WoW has become more than Final Fantasy (I'm referring to WoD with the back in time and other misplaced events in the Warcraft universe).
Hopefully, they'll make a custom campaign section as SCII hasn't got one (at least yet)! Oh.. and LAN (later, at least)!

About patching the current game, I dare them not to ruin the game in any way and not implement SCII or Bnet 2.0's bad parts in it.

Thank thee.

Level 24
The RTS genre will probably experience the same revival as the oldschool point & click adventure genre does today.

P&C adventures were called dead not too long ago, but now with certain reboots and large franchises being successful, it's stronger than ever.
It's not "stronger than ever". It's alive and well, but the biggest developers are gone and the titles that are released are usually smaller in scope (albeit still fun, mind you, such as Broken Sword 5).

Same with RTS; if you are a hardcore fan there's definitely new titles for you to play, however there's no Warcrafts or Age of Empires.

I could see Blizzard making a new RTS (although I don't really see the point while SC2 is still relevant), but I doubt you'd see it in retail stores for $60.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
It's not "stronger than ever". It's alive and well, but the biggest developers are gone and the titles that are released are usually smaller in scope (albeit still fun, mind you, such as Broken Sword 5).

Same with RTS; if you are a hardcore fan there's definitely new titles for you to play, however there's no Warcrafts or Age of Empires.

I could see Blizzard making a new RTS (although I don't really see the point while SC2 is still relevant), but I doubt you'd see it in retail stores for $60.

Speaking of Age of Empires, I suppose you all know of UPatch HD ?

Read most of the post here and those discussions...

Anyway, glad this happens :)
Thanks everyone who took part, especially Kam and Purge as representatives for Hive.

@Rheiko
Get used to it. Most of them are MOBA or CS/PB Fanboys afair, too much fast paced game lovers. They seems to dislike the learning curve for RTS, which actually puts mind into carefulness and proper strategy making.
Remember, keep it instant!. That's the law :p

@deepstrasz
I would agree with the RTS part :)

Level 5
May I remind you that there was a time before 8mb, when we had half of it? And still most iconic maps were created in that era.

Trigger pages are a GUI concept, the number and kind of defined objects can vary. For example with a BonusMod system, you can quite easily add some thousand variants. There may be ways to circumvent these statistics but I think it's a good idea anyway. However, for preview, Battle.Net of course does not download the complete map, so they would have to change header/w3i/some file formats to collect the necessary information therein.

Does it? I thought it was mostly a german thing and primarily due to Daedalic in the last few years.

Then you really should try out the newer large maps.

Level 35
I believe 150MB map size is completely overboard - even 8 is - but that's just me...

Given the many uses that imported files can give a map, then yea.. it would be just you. Yes, they would have to work on some faster download as well.

I'll re-phrase. In 2000 a PC gamer probably played a RTS of some kind on a weekly basis. In 2016 it's a MOBA. The trend is for games that are entertain -snip-.

That is a very e-sport oriented look at things. There is a lot of players, not focusing on the e-sport nor money making part of gaming. Those are not seen and thus not observed. I would again state that the RTS genre is flourishing.

I would disagree... There have been, and is several games coming out and already released easily compared to Warcraft og Age of empires in scope. Yes, they might not have been released by big names, but just like those big names, they can make a name for themselves. But the market is changing, and there is more games taking a bite of the cake. The players are spread and so many variations have come up.

Level 19
Uhm, these are interesting news! The huge increase on map size is interesting, I will not be so scared about bad maps, they always existed. What I am mostly interested is how said battlenet 2.0 would work in an old game like wc3. Like, I dont want to be necessary to be logged in just to entr the game, I mostly play single player.

Its fun to see that they are still giving some support after all these years, and also taht our comunnity is helping nto ideas and discussions.

I sincerelly think these patches will come for the best. But other than that, without being sure of how they will go, I cant say much.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I believe 150MB map size is completely overboard - even 8 is - but that's just me...

1st post talks about a " substantial increase in map file size limit, perhaps [emphasis added here] 150 MB+ ". Therefore, nothing is sure. Besides, am I the only one here to believe that this value is kinda weird, from a programer's point of view ? Computers work in multiples : 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 - 128 - 256... 150 does not "fit" imho.

But whatever the future new map size limit, I think Blizzard aims for whatever high value to make everyone happy, and to not have to raise that limit again. Because *every* change in code (even one single byte) requires proper QA testing, and that costs money. So better raise it to a very high value hopefully once and for all, ans therefore save time and money.

Also do not forget Blizzard has many other things up his sleeve (once again, read 1st post). A very high raise in map size limit may well be in correlation with other things Blizzard has not revealed yet. Now, you all know there are redone WC3 assets in SC2, do you ? and you know they are big ? And you all know that patch 1.27a now uses D3D9 ? And that there will be some kind of uniformization effort with that Bnet 2 thing ? Now connect the dots, think big, and realize the times are about to change. Long live the new WC3. Of course, this is just an uneducated thought, based on random things I read here and there. Nothing that could possibly make any kind of sense, isn't it ?

Any idea when the uppdates will release?
Please see below.

(damn I am so slow.)

june-jule

Or maybe "when it's done". But I believe Blizzard has his roadmap up and ready, including a big communication strategy. Do not forget the WarCraft movie will be well promoted ; that sure will attract some attention. This is why the first patches (SC patch still pending) had to first solve compatibility issues with modern OSes (the non tech-savvy user wants computer stuff to work right away).

Again, this is all part of something big imho. Think as a whole.

Level 6
I hope you guys listed the bug that Metamorphosis can evade stuns when the stun hits hero with metamorphosis he receive the dmg but not the stun effect. That's the most annyoying bug ever in Wc3

I hope you guys listed the bug that Metamorphosis can evade stuns when the stun hits hero with metamorphosis he receive the dmg but not the stun effect. That's the most annyoying bug ever in Wc3

The Chinese user base is handling much of the balancing and related concerns but I will make sure to add it.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
add a java to java script conversion for warcraft

or have the maps able to understand java

that would be awesome because I know Java, script is a bit different
That makes absolutely no sense. Why would they do that? Java is a general-purpose scripting language, whereas JASS is a specialized language integrated into the game.

If you want Java syntax in the Editor, you can always write a preprocessor like we have with vJass, Zinc, Pjass or Wurst.

Level 34
I wonder how large the player base for wc3 is now. Asia must have a pretty big base for Blizzard to be interested in investing in old games.

Pretty cool though. Definitely jealous that Kam and Purge got to visit Blizz and on behalf of the site and wc3 modding. That's a really cool honor.

The thing I would like to see more than anything at this point; new AI computers. I wouldn't mind playing some singleplayer melee, but the AI just isn't fun to play against. Also the game looks like ass now.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

talking about AI, i would like to play the normal melee map against AI than can control naval units :grin:

Wow, J4L sure breaks Warcraft 3 (if 1.27a patches because of the "Infest" function, It will be 2nd time they will patch because of J4L XD)

Good thing we will be having(requesting) new features, specially looking forward for the new supports for UIs and Objects like abilities :D

Sadly tho, I don't think we, the average, local Filipinos, will still receive the new patch (because 1: I think most of us don't even know that there will be coming a new patch and 2: Most of the warcraft 3 filipinos have are just COPIES from an original CD)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Another interesting fuction would be already worked support for external models and textures so we dont need to edit inis and stuff.
There is no editing required for that.
Just enable local file support in the registry and done. And blizzard will not make this the default, for obvious security reasons.

Level 15
YAAAEESSSS!!!!
Also, detection of BTN*, DISBTN*, PAS*, DISPAS*, ect to automatically make their path ReplaceableTextures/CommandButtons(Disabled)/
Well using some mpq tool like MPQdraft will make that work easy for you. I've done lot of automated work just ordering my files into folders named ReplaceableTextures, CommandButtons, etc. and importing all of them into the map using MPQdraft.

Last edited:
Level 6
Well using some mpq tool like MPQdraft will make that work easy for you. I've done lot of automated work just ordering my files into folders named ReplaceableTextures, CommandButtons, etc. and importing all of them into the map using MPQdraft.

Problem is that I like to have my downloaded and custom resources organised by Spell/Ability, Item, Environment, Units>Race>Building/Unit, ect and have their corresponding icon with the model.

Level 23
YAAAEESSSS!!!!
Also, detection of BTN*, DISBTN*, PAS*, DISPAS*, ect to automatically make their path ReplaceableTextures/CommandButtons(Disabled)/
I'd rather have a more comprehensive solution to the root cause -- import a borderless icon image and have the game layer on the borders as required, so you only ever need one import and get everything else for free. I've heard rumours of a CommandButton.mdx somewhere that could surely be used for this but never actually found it.

... On the other hand, I'll take all the bug fixes over that. Icons are an inconvenience, not a deal-breaker, and this would feel like a deeper engine change than they're going to want to deal with (at least this early on).

Level 15
YAAAEESSSS!!!!

Yes, it would save so much time! Also, WC4 should have a much simplier trigger editor, and unlimited map size, e.g. map should be even 512x512. And new races.
I would be also happy if it not required a strong video card. :grin:

The trigger editor is simple enough. If anything it should take some queues from Sc2 (like having local variables integrated into the GUI). The object editor on the other hand needs an ez mode if it's gonna look at sc2 for inspiration. That learning curve scares everyone away, so a wc4 should at least try to be welcoming to newcomers.

Unlimited map size is just not realistic, and if you want wc4 to run on a not-strong video card, well, let's hope Blizzard becomes really good at optimsation.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The trigger editor is simple enough. If anything it should take some queues from Sc2 (like having local variables integrated into the GUI). The object editor on the other hand needs an ez mode if it's gonna look at sc2 for inspiration. That learning curve scares everyone away, so a wc4 should at least try to be welcoming to newcomers.

Unlimited map size is just not realistic, and if you want wc4 to run on a not-strong video card, well, let's hope Blizzard becomes really good at optimsation.
I don't think that Blizzard would make the object editor simpler in SC2. That would be a step into the wrong direction. The object editor - while I agree that it has a super steep learning curve - is very logical and super powerful.

If anything, they will just make some stuff more intuitive to find and manipulate or have a better visual presentation of what's going on and what's linked with what. Like Blender did with nodes:

11-full-nodes-540x617.jpg

In fact; I could imagine that working very well with the SC2 object editor as-is. Units, actors, weapons, etc. ... everything would instantly feel logical once you see it in the form of nodes.

ez mode != simpler

I meant pretty much what you said though, yeah, my phrasing was kinda vague. The data editor indeed has terrible visual presentation and is just a mindfuck to deal with. Everything takes forever and it's just so annoying to use. By ez mode I mean some sort of beginner overlay that automates most processes, and when users are advanced enough, they can toggle the 'Advanced Mode' that opens up the whole plethora of actors and what have you. Wizards automating some creation processes are good but imo have them from the start so your entire userbase hasn't deserted you by the time you have them implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.