• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Testing Grounds - the map for the overview and testing of all units/buildings and their abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I didn't know where to put this, so I thought this part of the forum was the most appropriate.

Since long ago I was thinking of creating a testing map for the purpose of the overview and testing of, if not all, then most units, heroes, buildings and abilities in the game. This is mainly because I wanted to see and test all units and abilities I could use in my custom maps, to give me ideas for my custom units and spells and to find units and spells to serve as a base for my custom units and spells.

This map contains, if not all, then almost all units, heroes and buildings present in the game, and some enemy units for combat testing. It is used for the overview and testing of the units, heroes and buildings and their abilities, and for numerous other purposes utilized by map makers, players and others.

(Edit 1: Added all melee units and buildings, critters, and some other units to the map.
Edit 2: The map now contains, if not all, then almost all units, heroes and buildings present in the game.
Edit 3: Added some trees to the map; the map now has fog of war; added "Map Info" and "Cheats" info quests and some hint messages at start.
Edit 4: Added some units that were missing, deleted duplicates, replaced some, and moved some units/buildings.
Edit 5: Added burrowed and certain other units.)

I thought someone else might find this map useful, so I decided to post it here in the attachment:

Attachments

• TestingGrounds.w3x
    54.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am at once excited & confused by this prospect; downloading to make a better opinion about it.

However, while there is some extreme merit to testing OE abilities (discovering unused buffs & new/interesting interactions for new custom stuff), is it viable to do so all in one big map? Do you have every single ability assigned to a 'tester unit' of some kind or another, and all the copies & permutations thereof?

Personally, I was running a big "test everything" map, but I found that it got harder & harder to test (mostly because it took longer & longer to load up from the Test Map button). So now I'm doing a "1 map per test" policy that seems to work out alright.

Thoughts?

Level 15
This map doesn't have all abilities on one unit, but all units present in the game with their normal abilities, so it's all abilities too.
When it comes to loading times, I've never had problems with it, because I've never used this map for testing custom stuff, this map only has the base game stuff in it.
I have another map where I test triggers and custom things, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.