1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. After a long wait, the results for Terraining Contest #18 are finally out! Drop by and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Concept Art Contest #9 is up! Cast your vote for your favourite entry!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The poll for Techtree Contest #11 is up! Cast your vote for your favorite entry.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Take part in a Futuristic musical experience with our very own Music Contest. The 5th edition has finally arrived after a long time.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Dismiss Notice

Terraining Contest #14: Racial Settlements

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by fladdermasken, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Deolrin

Deolrin
    Riotz, do forest trolls! Or jungle trolls. They're fine too. ^^

2. RiotZ

RiotZ
    Nope. I'm doing Tuskarrs, living in the tundra on snowy cliffs, huntin' mammoths.

I was always more of a fan of Island Trolls.

3. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf
    @Stonneash:
    Thanks for the advice, but I will put some trees, grass... After I finish with buildings, I will turn this into a forest.

4. alexandero6

alexandero6
    this event looks cool, but is there a map size limit?

5. Oziris

Oziris
    Nope, the map size is unlimited. :)

6. alexandero6

alexandero6
    seeing all these great terrains inspired me to make 1 to. I decided to make the home of the rock golems, ruins of a castle in a big cave. but as you can all see on the picture: i'm having troubles with the light, anyone knows how to fiz it so you can see the whole cave?

Attached Files:

7. Amargaard

Amargaard
    What you need is the right "fog". Right now you use the basic black one - Check this tutorial (By my good friend) and scroll down to section 2A, then you'll find out how to change it. Good luck and I like the Golem-terrain idea :)

8. RiotZ

RiotZ
    Any way to make a unit appear dead in editor? I know you can do it in-game, but I'm not going through that trouble.

9. Amargaard

Amargaard
    Make them doodads is the best answer I can offer :)

10. alexandero6

alexandero6
    thnx for the help but it isn't the fog, i checked. thnx for liking my idea :D
    btw: how to quote texts? i'm new:goblin_cry:

Edit: here's an update on my map, kinda takes shape now :D

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  11. RiotZ

RiotZ
    Doodads don't even have anims.

First wip... Super early one for that matter, started 45 minutes ago.

first wip.png

Non-nomadic tribe of Tuskarrs who use the natural mountains to block out the weather... I need some stuff with mammoth tusks to make their architecture more believable. Also, those sails attached to poles are windtraps to block the harsh down-wind from the mountain. I'll also add support beams to the top and bottom of the cliff base for preventing avalanches... Down below with be the mainstay of the civilization with a few areas for holding mammoths that have been captured alive.

I need to add support beams, trees and a skybox. If anyone knows where I can get some mammoth tusk doodads lemme know, k? xD

12. alexandero6

alexandero6
    doodads DO have animations, i use them in my rock golem map :goblin_yeah:

13. RiotZ

RiotZ
    Only destructibles bro.

14. Lord_T

Lord_T
    Make it a unit with 0 movespeed and no attacks, fill in the fields:

Abilities - Locust, Invulnerability (Neutral)
    Required Animation Names - Death

Also, I'm considering joining. Haven't opened WE in like 4 years, but who's counting. :p

15. Cihparg

Cihparg
    [confirm="So yeah, basically just got bored in WE. Dis' is final. Just press OK to view the image //Self note: Those are some huge trees in the background :p"]Herp derp.[/confirm]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  16. Oziris

Oziris
    Bitch please, more effort. :p

17. Belgarath

Belgarath
    hold down ctrl and then roll the mousewheel down to extend the far z of the camera. apart from that, make the fog far z higher to stop it from shading them over, but I think you know that part. just place a cave dome if you want that or whateverzs

oh
    apart from the elves/murlocs/dwarves (i hope they're dwarves in those mountains, looks badass) i still have yet to see obvious racial settlements. I'm not quite sure how yours can be a settlement at all, Oziris, but i guess you still have some space and all that. i would appreciate obvious races etc

18. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf
    @Offgraphic
    Well, this is nice... a nice beginning. Oziris is right, show some more effort :D

19. alexandero6

alexandero6
    thnx for the help, it was the far Z that did it. well this is the end result, can't come up with anything to add. :goblin_good_job:

Attached Files:

20. Oziris

Oziris
    Deepholm is a settlement of the Elemental race, mostly earth elemental mobs. Look it up in WoWiki.

Edit:
    alexandero6, you should zoom with your camera, why would you want to show us those ugly textures? And you don't need an in game picture, only from the editor.

Another small update from me. :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012