1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. After a long wait, the results for Terraining Contest #18 are finally out! Drop by and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Concept Art Contest #9 is up! Cast your vote for your favourite entry!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The poll for Techtree Contest #11 is up! Cast your vote for your favorite entry.
    Dismiss Notice

Terraining Contest #14: Racial Settlements

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by fladdermasken, Feb 16, 2012.

1. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    hmm...im not sure about the WoW Murlocs...does the rules say that they are not allowed ONLY in maps? also i found some wow models a while ago but no wow murloc models...and i don't know how to extract them from WoW and make them usable in wc3(plus i don't even have WoW)

EDIT:
    well i decided to remake the murloc village(not basing it on a pic this time)...here is a new version of it, i tried to add background mountains but i don't think it turned out well, in fact i find them really really bad but oh well it might just be me o.o
    Murloc Village Remake.jpg
    feedback is much appreciated!!:thumbs_up:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

Blafurgh, I wanted murlocs.

Well, I sentence you to exsanguination and death for plugging my concept pipeline. Something slow and painful, like taking a dozen slivers to both eye sockets.

>.>
    <.<
    I think we've allowed ripped resources in terraining contests in the past. It's not like we publish the maps or anything, and it's not really that controversial anymore since you could run your hand through pretty much every ditch on the internet and come up with plenty. You should probably run this by M0rbid though.
    Great that you dug out a background, it was looking pretty boxed in and cramped. Know what I'd do about now? Focus on a lead motive. You've got an average little camp right there, cozy and cordial. So now you bring out the big guns and up your game by a decimal or two. Check out some of the best terrains we've got to offer and wring out something better.

That's the mentality you should go for.

Oh and some of the formal stuff, like fog, natural environments and lighting. The center one should help you with those mountains you're worried about.

3. stonneash

stonneash
    well,this is way much better,but morlocs live next to sea shores and ocean
    so u don't need to make background of mounts,just make a see using he water and the sunken ruins sand

edit____________________________
    i took a deep look at ur picture and i can tell that u have something great, but there is a bug, get the fireFX from our model section and find some better towers\watch towers
    and take a look at the UTM,the palms there and other trees are really good
    just go under enviroment-->select ur tree u like
    and place it;)

4. Amargaard

Amargaard
    I recommend a mix of mountains and ocean in the background and a fog to hide the edge of the map :)

5. KayS

KayS
    Thinking about it... Maybe I'm gonna make a castle, in the void or something like that.

6. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    Lots of Comments
    hmm...is it against the rules for somebody to choose the same race as smdy else?

thnx for the help, ill ask M0rbid asap

what are the big guns supposed to be? xD
    also i have no idea how to make the camp bigger without starting it all over...

ill give a look at those thnx;p

well for some reason i prefer to make murlocs that live in a forest, not in an island...the problem is there aren't many murloc models for me to use and neither HQ ones so im not sure if ill keep this race...

[b[General Question:[/b]
    Is it against the rules to change a race after picking one?

EDIT
    I tried to improve it as much as i could, here is the result:
    Murloc Village Remake 2.jpg
    i know it can still be improved but i really have no idea what else to add/change...
    guess ill just wait for a miracle to happen;D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. M0rbid

M0rbid
    to your general question: You can change as often as you want to, just make sure to post WiPs and clarify on what is your entry.

about the other question: I am fine with it, as long as you do not share the models here at hive.

8. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

Nope, just makes it less original. But I don't really care, I'm going to carry my murloc concept anyways.
    I'll just include some quirks and a different atmosphere.
    Hell, I don't know. Shear the regulator stem off an air cylinder or something. It's a figure of speech, just butt it from average to interesting.
    If you want it bigger, you could just push more layers into the background and make it a murloc district.

9. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    good to know these
    i see..
    lol
    hmm ill try that thnx

10. stonneash

stonneash
    i see a nice improvment,et u didn't used the utm,u mixed the land with the sea
    col for now

11. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    well i did search the utm but didn't find anything i could use...
    also i don't want to use sunken ruins doodads, i want it to be a forest-like murloc village;p

12. kike

kike
    hi, I'm new :D
    I just want to ask something about your murloc village, if murlocs are water lovers and live in a mix between earth and sea why there is a camp fire on their village??? D:
    No one will take the gnolls?

13. Azurot

Azurot
    Well here's what I have so far, gentlemen.

Attached Files:

14. Belgarath

Belgarath
    sleek & sexy landscape, nice
    now you just need a race :- )!

i'd be quite careful around proportions though since your walls are quite small compared to the trees and they don't seem to be incredibly large. that combined with the walls being a "large looking" model kind of makes for a bit of a wonky scaling already
    but very good start

15. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    well obviously they started a fire so they can cook a human;) isn't he visible?
    you could give them a try;D
    wow, very good terrain!!

EDIT:
    I just finished expanding my murloc village...probably my final entry unless i think of something else to add...

Murloc Village Remake 3:(current entry)
    Murloc Village Remake 3.jpg
    Murloc Village Remake 2:(before expanding the village)
    Murloc Village Remake 2.jpg
    well, ver 2 is just for comparing it with ver 3, feedback is always appreciated!!:thumbs_up:

EDIT 2:
    hmm...i was wondering, how come besides me and Azurot nobody else showed their current progress and ask for feedback or smth?
    maybe they already know what they are aiming for and w8 until the final days to submit their entries?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  16. newbchu

newbchu
    Skyrim!

17. RiotZ

RiotZ
    I actually really like this... Good job.

18. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    thnx!! :grin:

19. eubz

eubz
    xorkatoss, This is really a peaceful place but some kind of aggressive murlocks are inhabiting. The environment seems cold.
    xorkatoss' image

20. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf
    i have a very good idea about something i could make. unfortunately, it will take me at least few hours only to start making it, and i am currently sick. so, if i post my idea (textually) here, will i have something like copyright over it? i mean, will i be able to complain to the judges if someone steals my idea?