• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story - Night Delusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
This is something I originaly wrote in portuguese about a year ago, and I decided to translate it as best as I could to share it with you guys! :grin:
Sorry if anything sounds weird, the translation might not have been the best one :/

Night Delusions

It was 3 o'clock in the morning, when I woke up. I sat on the bed and looked around, not knowing the cause of my sleep's interruption. Perhaps the horrible thirst that dried my throat had woken me up. I switched my lamp on, but it was fused. Still, the room wasn't dark, not much anyway. The light from the street lamps came in through the windows' gaps and gave the division a certain honey-like luminosity. At the same time, the occasional sound of a car passing through would help filling the room. In my opinion, there's nothing like the common, calm sound of a passing vehicle to comfort you at night. In a certain way, it calms the night's terrifying silence down. Yet, I'm drifting away from the topic...
Moving on, I fearlessly got up and headed towards the bathroom. The hallway, however, showed a completely different scenario from the previous one. Without windows, it was dark, empty and endless, like the ones in the movies. It creeped me out, so I rushed into the toilet. Unfortunately, it wasn't much better - a problem, perhaps, designed by western mind. The numerous murder clichés cause me to mistrust bathrooms. Private or public, it doesn't matter. From the constant fear of closing my eyes in front of a mirror and open them to find someone staring back at me, to the ridiculous chance that a rat will come out of the toilet pipes, biting off something which I don't intend to get rid of for the following years. Clearly, these delusions only come to my mind if I start wondering superstitiously about the greatest stupidities. Throughout the day, my use of this division is by no means affected by idle toilet thoughts.
On the other hand, the fact that I live in a little hut in a small village in Trás-os-Montes1 won't help calming down my nocturnal incursions off my bedroom either.
While I drank greedy gulps of water, I had the feeling I was being watched, as if that stranger you look upon once in a café, smoking pipe in a corner, was there, gazing at me. Looking around, I saw nothing. Feeling ridiculous and, at the same time, upset, I dried my mouth and went back to bed. And still, there was... something. My poor little house wasn't well that night. Anyway, I wasn't feeling like crawling out of my bed's warmth again and showing empty rooms to my foolish mind.
That foolish night eventually fell asleep, not bothering me again throughout the night, and woke back up at nine. As I opened my eyes, I felt an abusive layer of sleepy dust that made me wonder whether Sandman had been working numbed by his own sands... After an incessant eye rubbing, I observed my bedroom. The morning light had replaced the lamp's one.
With a still foggy vision, I made breakfast. While I cooked, I felt an air stream through my back, which bothered me to the point that I interrupted my morning routine; following the light breese towards the living room, I came upon a scene that struck my mind and body, something indeed creepy: the windows were open, the curtains floating. I reminded clearly of closing them, the day before, and through the night there had been no wind, certainly not bursts that could break through my windows! At that moment, I understood that my irrational worries, hours earlier, hadn't been pointless after all. Perhaps some clichés are more real than others, and some even likely to actually concretize...
I searched the whole room, eventually realising there was nothing missing, at least nothing that my troubled mind could notice. Unlike what one might think, I managed to end up with an even creepier conclusion then the setting already was: whoever broke into my house had been looking for somehting, and hadn't found it. There was more to this story...
Looking repeatedly at the floor and walls, I looked for something different, something that didn't belong to my comfortable everyday life. Something that could help me understand what was going on within my home, and what kind of events were possibly yet to come.

iamxaxas

1 - Trás-os-Montes is a region northeast of Portugal, where the lack of oportunity has led to a massive aging of the population. It is a mountaious/rural region, with many isolated villages that are either abandoned, or inhabited by no more than 10 or 12 people.

Feedback and constructive criticism are welcome, hope you enjoyed reading it. (Some might ask, and I answer right away: I do not plan on writing a sequel or any sort of continuation to this story)

Last edited:
Level 16
Nice first person short story. Keep it up!
There are two sentences where you spell 'the' with 'teh'. That's why I'm so confused. I'm Indonesian and 'teh' is tea in Indonesian.
And one sentence that you spell the 'something' with 'smething'. Hope you can find and fix it if you want.

I really enjoyed it. The first person feature makes the story feel like reality.
I had nothing to say anymore. It's awesome.

Level 21
Good one for being a translation! Cool, detailed descriptions!
However, since this is a story, I expected more mature vocabulary. You could've also thrown in a rhetorical question every once in a while to keep the reader's mind active. You need to create suspense and/or interest in order to arouse your readers' curiosity.

Now, here are the mistakes:

had woken me ---> had woken me up / had awakened me

windows gaps ---> windows' gaps

Unfortunately, it wasn't much better, a problem, perhaps, designed by western mind ---> Unfortunately, it wasn't much better. A problem, perhaps, designed by western mind. (attention to the punctuation!)

toiet pipes ---> toilet pipes

biting off something of which I don't intend to get rid for... ---> biting off something which I don't intend to get rid of for...

start supersticiously wondering ---> start wondering superstitiously (attention to the spelling + the adverb "superstitiously" describes "wondering", not "start", so re-arrange!)

While I drank greedy gulps of water ---> While I drank greedily gulps of water (it's an adverb, not an adjective in this context; I don't imagine you wanted to describe the "gulps" as "greedy"!)

as if that stranger you look upon once in a café, smoking pipe in a corner, were there... ---> as if that stranger you look upon once in a café, smoking a pipe in a corner, was there... (verb "to be" refers to the stranger, so it must be singular)

sleep dust ---> dust (I... never heard of "sleep" dust)

wether Sandman ---> whether Sandman (spelling!)

I reminded clearly of closing them ---> I remembered clearly closing them (wrong verb + superfluous preposition)

certainly not bursts the could break... ---> certainly not bursts that could break....

Now I understood that... ---At that moment, I understood that... (you cannot use "now" when talking about the past)

eventualy ---> eventually (spelling again)

So my suggestions are to add rhetorical questions, use better vocabulary, and create interest/suspense. For example, you can use one-word sentences for impact e.g
it was dark, empty and endless, like the ones in the movies. ---> Dark. Empty. Endless. Just like in movies. (you do not need to change this part, I'm just giving an example)

Well, that's all I can think of. I hope I helped :)

Level 6
@Shadow Fury, thanks for the feedback!

Most of those mistakes are just typos, hadn't really noticed them, so thanks for pointing them out.

I actually was describing the gulps as greedy, it's a hypallage, which means that you use an adjective to describe a noun, but you're actually refering to the person (i.e. "The woman made sleepy socks." - you say the socks are sleepy, but it's actually the woman that is sleepy). However I'm not sure you can do this in English, so, I won't try and impose anything... xD

I think I can actually say "were", because it's the condicional. Of this I'm sure.
The sleepy dust I asked a British friend, so it's probably right as well. xD

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the mistakes.

About your suggestions, I appreciate those as well, although I probably won't change anything in this story. I will have them in mind for future writing though.

Level 21
I actually was describing the gulps as greedy, it's a hypallage, which means that you use an adjective to describe a noun, but you're actually refering to the person (i.e. "The woman made sleepy socks." - you say the socks are sleepy, but it's actually the woman that is sleepy). However I'm not sure you can do this in English, so, I won't try and impose anything... xD

There isn't such thing in English.

I think I can actually say "were", because it's the condicional. Of this I'm sure.

You use "were" as conditional only when the event is impossible in the present or did not happen in the past, not to show a probability. Your sentence should exactly mean: "The stranger you look upon once in a café, smoking a pipe in a corner, was not there. This isn't what you mean!

The sleepy dust I asked a British friend, so it's probably right as well. xD

Ah sleepy dust. Now that makes sense.

Level 16
Anyway, for xaxas, Was is used for past events that represents single person. Were is used for past events that represents two or more person. Were can also be used in single second person. Was can also be used for single third person.

This story tells about past or present event?

Level 6
@Shadow Fury I'll look that up more carefuly (the hypallage I mean), cause the word exists and I've found some stuff about it... I'll check it with my English teacher and some sources of mine :grin:

EDIT: I've checked with two English teachers and a British friend, and they all say it's possible to do this. One of them, however, say that, even though you can do it, you don't really use the name that much... It's something possible to do when writing, but apparently it's not that studied, hence the confusion...

About the conditional: thanks for explaining, I thought you could always use "were" with the conditional, I'll correct it;

And... well whoops, forgot to put the "y" on "sleepy" xD just another typo...

@AditTechno It's about past events, but it's just as Shadow Fury said: in the conditional, you can use "were" to refer to 1st and 3rd person in certain situations. Check his reply above =D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.