• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Screenshots

Level 17
umm, systems arent fun gameplay :bored:

So? A demo is a Demonstration of something, we do not want a beta of the map or something, we want a demonstration of how everything works etc.
Me for example, i would not want to get an unfinished map to test, like a beta, but it would be awesome to try out how the systems works and how smooth everything is etc, and that way we can also give some feedback.

A demo is not always created for people to have fun, but to try it and give feedback.

Level 11
The demo I will provide to the community won't take place in the storyline of Darkwind. It just will introduce the GUI and several special features, that are new to the people. By that way it will teach how that systems work to make it easier getting started with the real game as soon as it'll be released.

Level 17
The demo I will provide to the community won't take place in the storyline of Darkwind. It just will introduce the GUI and several special features, that are new to the people. By that way it will teach how that systems work to make it easier getting started with the real game as soon as it'll be released.

Thats exactly how i want a demo to be! :D
and that was exactly what i asked for not so long ago :)
The demo is going to be epic..
i cant wait!!
oh wait.. actually i can.. but i dont want too! :hohum:

Level 11
In fact they are limeted to 99, but that doesn't matter for a single player game. Cause I recycle them. That means, only the needed ones are creating in realtime. And even for a game containing 4 player there will be enough left.

Level 11
I use multi line textags. If correctly placed it will look as if I used a single text for every line. The tooltip which can hold up to 36 lines of text is created out of 4 textags that are placed automatically.

Level 11
In the beginning it was kinda hard. But I wrote a system that automatically creates a new taxttag below the first one, if the first is "full". A funny fact is that you can use up to 11 lines of text with 27 letters at size 8. But f.e. only 6 lines of 11 letters at size 12. That means the taxttags are not limited by a number of letters or a length of text. They are limited to the dimensions the tag will have while shown. Thats in my opinion a very wierd limitation o_O

Level 20
Correct me if im wrong

You use text tags, rite, and if its destructables, they wouldnt get tracked if its text tagged, since it will be selected when you try to RegisterHitEvent, since the destructable is in the way, How did you get rid of this problem?

Level 11
How did you come to the conclusion I was using destructables? My UIs consist of units with locust and trackables behind them, no destructables. The texttags float above the units.

Level 49
I needed a break from building parts of houses and other city stuff^^. So I tried to create model that can be used for human male NPCs as well as for the hero. In the game the player will be able to choose out of 3 different faces and between 5 - 10 different hairstyles. The NPC's will be build by the same way and will use different skintones and bodyscalings. I think I hit pretty well what I was aiming for. The hair you can see is one example for the choosable attachments.

Below you can see the development process until the final result.

C&C plz

Hmm. I would recommend closing his mouth and giving his pupils a nicer color(like brown or green, or maybe blue).

Level 11
Don't get me wrong, but he HAS brown pupils :) But myabe I will change the color a bit to bring that detail up. The mouth is only opend in the "Base" animation. So I can animate it for speaking/shouting/breathing. Nevertheless thanks for feedback.

Level 11
I'm not complete sure about the way i will use the portrait. Cause the only unit you will be able to select and keep selected is your hero. Targets will have a special HUD that displayes infors about them. Attachments in the portrait are not possible. so I would have to create a seperate portrait for every possible combination :) I think I will use the portrait as kind of fight status indicator. Means when you out of combat it will show a kind of emblem so you can see your hp/mp are regging. While in fight it will switch to a red flashing emblem, to show that you are in combat at the very moment.

Level 49
I'm not complete sure about the way i will use the portrait. Cause the only unit you will be able to select and keep selected is your hero. Targets will have a special HUD that displayes infors about them. Attachments in the portrait are not possible. so I would have to create a seperate portrait for every possible combination :) I think I will use the portrait as kind of fight status indicator. Means when you out of combat it will show a kind of emblem so you can see your hp/mp are regging. While in fight it will switch to a red flashing emblem, to show that you are in combat at the very moment.

Attachments in the portrait are possible. If you make the portrait built-in the model(e.g, you add a portrait background model - the one with the team-color, behind the unit and add "Portrait" and "Portrait Talk" animations.) then all attachments should work fine. Then you just add a built-in camera inside the model. Check out Jigrael's models such as the Troll Python Warrioress to see what I mean, he does that a lot.

Level 11
Hi folk,
long time no new screenshots. Again sorry for that, but I was busy :)

I almost finished the FittingAnimationSystem (FAS). This system chooses the correct animationset for the currently used weapons. This includes a special walk and runanimation for every type of weapon. In addition to that a specific stand ready and several attackanimations. Specialanimation for the talents etc. will follow.

Below you can see the stand ready for the different weaponstyles. From left to right: 1h+shield, twohanded, dual 1h, staffs/polearms, bows, guns and wands.

Plz ignore such minor issues like armour pierching through the other attachments, even in WoW such stuff isn't fixed :)

Attachments

• Style_1h_shield.jpg
    Style_1h_shield.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Style_2h.jpg
    Style_2h.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 193
  • Style_dual_1h.jpg
    Style_dual_1h.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Style_staff_polearm.jpg
    Style_staff_polearm.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Style_bow.jpg
    Style_bow.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Style_gun.jpg
    Style_gun.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Style_wand.jpg
    Style_wand.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 224
Level 21
I'm gonna love wands. :smile:
Seriously man, I'm telling you:
You're a professional german game developer! :D
Your progress, your screenshots, your work on models and skins, your ideas and your power of will (to continue the project) are just like any others I know: Gothic 3, Arcania...
Are you sure that no one in your family works or worked to develop them? :D

I can make the difference between german games and other games by the quality.
3D german games are so awesome. Even when they are developed in another engine...

Ô_Ô"

If Blizzard doesn't (at least) e-mail you to congratulate you about this, they are the n00bs...

I'm going to move in Germany when I am older.
Just for the sake of the 3D games.

Level 11
I'm just... wow... what a post. I'm speechless! Thanks! Knowing that a few people out there like what I'm working on keeps me motivated to continue AND succeed :)

Level 11
Thanks for that suggestion. I think when it comes to the point that it make sense to have an own website for DW I will put a small donationform on that website. But of course the game itself and all stuff/addons will stay for free(otherwise Blizzard would go in rage).

Level 11
Wands will be ranged. To give casters a type of weapon they can use effective without needing lots of agility. The dmg will be low, but the attack speed is pretty fast. And they wil have stats of course.

Level 49
Hmm. It actually looks very cool so far, and I don't think the clipping issues are too bad(Even though they COULD be fixed, to some degree). I've only a few things to say... First of all, the bow seems very small. And, no staves?

Also, I feel bad for saying it, but I think the UI looks quite bad in the stats n' status area and in the 'command panel'\ability and commands area, as well as in the clock area... I think that the command panel\stats n' status areas could be plain black or so, to be honest; it might look quite a lot better - and the clock area, well, I don't like the square-ish shape and I think the lions don't fit so well in there.

Level 17
This looks awesome :D I cant complain on anything except the upper part of the UI.
The clock is a bit... Square.. i think you know what i mean by that.
And maybe add the "stone background" from the units status field behind the resources aswell? So insted of having plain black behind gold, lumber, etc, have the stone there. That would make it fit with the rest of the UI.

Level 11
The screens are via the 3rd person cam, but rotated to the front. You'll be able to choose out of to different cam styles: intelligent and custom following. While in intelligent mode, the camera tries to follow your hero as best as possible. That includes rotation with the hero and zooming in in narrow places. In the custom mode, you can rotate the camera by using the arrows keys. Auto zoom in is also included.

Level 11
I decided to add more types of armor. Now you'll be able to wear helmets, amuletts, shoulderpads, cloaks, chestpieces, bracer, gloves, belts, pants, boots, 2x rings and 2x trinkets.

To make the gloves work as attachments I have to fix the animation of the hands. That means, the finger won't move anymore. Animating the cloak as an attachment will result in some clipping issues during complex animations of the hero itself, but I think the result will be acceptable.

Further I tried to create a first banner as advertise for DW.

Greetings
Thy

Attachments

• Image68.jpg
    Image68.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Darkwindbanner.jpg
    Darkwindbanner.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 691
Level 11
I successfully created the needed projectilesystem to allow ranged combat. Projectiles won't follow the target and fly in a straight line instead. They will hit the first unit or obstacle in their path. That will allow you to dodge projectiles by moving around.

To switch from melee combat to ranged combat you'll have to hit the W key on your keyboard or click the icon in the bottem right corner. The ranged attack button will replace the melee attack and vice versa. Further the switching comes along with a global cooldown. By clicking the attack button you will shoot at your combat target.

Switching will prevent you from using melee/ranged skills as well. That means you can't use any meleeskills while being in ranged combat mode. Instant and ranged abilites will be still available. Casted spells will work in melee AND ranged combat.

Ranged weapons will require ammunition in the specific slot. Unlike to f.e. WoW you'll have to reload your weapon by dragging ammunition in the ammoslot(right next to the ranged weapon slot in your inventory). Ammunition will give a bonus to your ranged damage but won't effect your melee damage. If you ran out of ammo, you can't use your ranged weapon.

Greetings
Thy

Attachments

• RangedFightPreview.jpg
    RangedFightPreview.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 215
Level 11
Looking for terrainer... No, just a joke. The terrain in the scriptmap is just for testing purpose. I set up some doodads to test if they block the projectiles in a correct way. Further this is neccessary to get a feeling how the enviroment must be build so that the camera works as intended. For sure there will be situations where some doodad moves in the path and blocks the view on your hero. For that problem you be able to rotate your camera by using the left/right arrow keys.Up/Down will change the angle of attack, so you can look down/up hills f.e.

Level 11
Hud

And again a step in the right direction. I managed to set up the HUD. You can see it in the upper right corner on the screenshot. The HUD displays information about your current target as well as a portrait. The number above the icon shows the targets lvl. This value will be colored in dependence of the targets level compared to your heros one. Next to the level the name is displayed. The color of the name changes with the behavior of the target. Green indicates allied, yellow indicates neutral and red indicates hostile. The number in the bars show the values of health and mana and on the right side the percentages. The bars will update in a smooth way, cause they are animated.

I also enabled target switching. That means you can now left click to select a target or right click it to select it and start an interaction. If the target is an NPC and allied or neutral your hero will start to talk to the target. If it is a hostile NPC he will try to attack it. That works for melee as well as for ranged mode. By pressing ESC you will deselect your current target and the HUD will be hidden. You can also right click the HUD itself to attack your target.

The icon you can see is a placeholder.

Attachments

• hud4.jpg
    hud4.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 214